• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Greatest Cfb Coach of All-Time?

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban. Perhaps his most impressive feat is LSU 2007 National Title.He built a team so strong at LSU that even a dumbass like Les Miles couldnt fuck it up 2007.

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we're including coaches that coached before the AP poll era, and before the forward pass was a major part of the game, what exactly makes Knute Rockne better than Fielding Yost? They made a movie about Rocke, that's all I can come up with.

It's a close one. Rockne was 105-12 (89% winning percentage) while Yost was 198-35 (85% winning percentage). Yost did have an incredible run at the turn of the century. However, Rockne changed the way the game was played. He made it very main-stream, and saw it as a version of show business, and was a great promoter. He also more or less invented the forward pass (others had run screens and pitches, but he showed the value of attacking deep). He's definitely left more of a mark on football than Yost, so I'm willing to say he's greater, though he may or may not have been better.

ThereIsNoPlace

The New Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hayden Fry ????
when-i-laugh-at-a-reddit-post-and-all-the-comment-section-say-its-not-funny-109417.gif

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a close one. Rockne was 105-12 (89% winning percentage) while Yost was 198-35 (85% winning percentage). Yost did have an incredible run at the turn of the century. However, Rockne changed the way the game was played. He made it very main-stream, and saw it as a version of show business, and was a great promoter. He also more or less invented the forward pass (others had run screens and pitches, but he showed the value of attacking deep). He's definitely left more of a mark on football than Yost, so I'm willing to say he's greater, though he may or may not have been better.

He also died in a plane crash that shortened his career. Frank Leahy was also right up there for coaches in those days.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leahy was also some guy named Vince Lombardi's offensive line coach in college.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like your line of thinking. Coaching greatness is often much more than just wins and losses. Level of competition can also affect things like winning percentage. Winning 85% of your games vs SEC competition today would surely mean a ton more than winning 89% of your games vs AAC competition, right?

I mean, everyone acknowledges Yost's winning a lot, but far more people seem to consider Knute Rockne "a legendary coach". And it's interesting to read your perspective about his seeing football as a version of show business, that's pretty cool, actually.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban. Perhaps his most impressive feat is LSU 2007 National Title.He built a team so strong at LSU that even a dumbass like Les Miles couldnt fuck it up 2007.

He kinda did fuck it up, though. They finished with two losses. He only got away with it because that season was bonkers

IrishBlooded

Bewbs or it didn't happen
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we're including coaches that coached before the AP poll era, and before the forward pass was a major part of the game, what exactly makes Knute Rockne better than Fielding Yost? They made a movie about Rocke, that's all I can come up with.

Yost was a POS start there. If you actually want to credit a coach with creating ND football as America's team. You can actually directly blame Yost for it. If it wasn't for him and his anti-catholic inferiority complex against ND and being an all around ass hat. ND may never had gone national and might have been a University of Chicago, or Northwestern type school.

Michigan taught ND to play football and they played an actual first game in 1887. Michigan of course won this. They were at the zenith of their football dynasty. The following year 1888, they played two games against ND in back to back days. They won both games, by scores of 26-6 and 10-4. However when they got back to Ann Arbor they were booed by the fans. Because these were the first points that had even been scored against 'Mighty Michigan' since 1883. So Michigan promptly cancelled all future games for the next 10 years. They resumed the series while Michigan was in their 'Point a Minute' teams. And beat ND each game. Until 1909. When ND won. In Ann Arbor. Then Michigan cancelled the series again. And Yost went to the rest of the midwest and told any B1G team willing to schedule ND would be blackballed by the conference. ND and Michigan didn't play again until 1942. Michigan won. They played again in 1943. ND won. Michigan cancelled the series again. And didn't resume until 1978.

This is why ND doesn't have a 'trophy' with Michigan. Because ND doesn't consider them a rival, because of the actions of Yost

Seriously though. Rockne as a coach did more to change college football than Yost did. From the mastery of the forward pass to the changes in travel to make ND the first true 'barn storming' team and play a national instead of regional national championship seasons. Yost was in reality the UCF of his day. Beating up on a lot of very inferior opponents with a stud loaded team.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to put Saban in the number 1 position because he's recruiting in an era where the competition is intense. Knute Rockne would be my number 2. He established the first real dynasty outside of the East and established Notre Dame as America's team. Bear Bryant would be my number 3. He was a success everywhere he coached. Frank Leahy for his great record at Notre Dame. Urban Meyer for success no matter where he went.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This^^^ And, I grudgingly have to give top billing to Nick over Coach Bryant. But it's still damn close. Lol

I like Nick and Bear as 1A and 1B.

It’s interesting that you can trace Saban to Bryant and Bryant to Rockne.

Rockne-Thomas-Bryant-Perkins-Parcells-Belichick-Saban.

IrishBlooded

Bewbs or it didn't happen
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Nick and Bear as 1A and 1B.

It’s interesting that you can trace Saban to Bryant and Bryant to Rockne.

Rockne-Thomas-Bryant-Perkins-Parcells-Belichick-Saban.

Just asking why Parells and Belichick in a CFB Mt. Rushmore?

For me it would be
Rockne
Bryant
Wilkinson
Saban

would almost all be locks. For number 5 there is too many options. But I would put Leahy against anyone else that could be considered.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Leach

I dare you to disagree.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For me it would be
Rockne
Bryant
Wilkinson
Saban

would almost all be locks. For number 5 there is too many options. But I would put Leahy against anyone else that could be considered.

They aren't in the Mt. Rushmore. They are part of tracing Rockne through Bryant yo Saban.

I’m good with Saban on the MR, but for now I have it for coaches no longer in the game. Still, the only difference in line and yours is Yost for Saban.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For me it would be
Rockne
Bryant
Wilkinson
Saban

Btw, agree on Leahy. I have him at #5.