• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Great profile of Chip

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has a lot of detail on what Chip's actually like and where he comes from. Basically, he is a blue-collar dude from New Hampshire who has made it big. Most of his real friends are high school or small college coaches in New England. He's living the dream and he seems to know it, but friends say they would not be surprised at all if he quit someday and started coaching high school somewhere in New Hampshire.

Chip Kelly Profile

Raid

Hoopla Cash
$ 21.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol. Yeah, just up and quit the $$$. I don't believe that for a second.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chip running with the bulls--he studied film before doing this.

chip_kelly_bull.jpg

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol. Yeah, just up and quit the $$$. I don't believe that for a second.

He's probably already got more than $20 mil Raid.

As Kelly’s salary started to rise – $3-4 million a year at Oregon, over $6 million in Philadelphia – he seemed at a loss for what to do with all that cash. He bought his parents a house, but his friends all agree that money was never his deal. UNH coach McDonnell told the Oregonian newspaper this story:

“Back then [in New Hampshire], Kelly's house used to be a gathering spot. The only things that occupied his refrigerator were Diet Cokes and Freeze Pops. McDonnell recalls reading about the salary Kelly was supposedly offered by Tampa Bay, which led to the following telephone exchange shortly afterward:

"That would buy a lot of Freeze Pops, Charlie," McDonnell said.

"Mac, we could have bought the entire company," Kelly said. “

Last edited by a moderator:

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another great detail in the piece: He offered Marcus Mariota a scholarship to Oregon--before Mariota had started a high school game. He apparently heard of him and saw enough potential to give him a college scholarship before he'd even played high school ball.

swat

Shady is the real Mccoy!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of ths stuff (including his press conferences) was out there before we hired him. Just a fascinating individual, who as soon as I learned about him had me convinced he was the guy who should be leading our team.

He just gives me the feeling we win a SB with him, come hell or high water. Now, if injuries etc get in the way, so be it but there is not a coach around Id rather have. Dude is awesome. All the comparisons to Steve Spurrier were and are complete ignorance.

Last edited by a moderator:

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of ths stuff (including his press conferences) was out there before we hired him. Just a fascinating individual, who as soon as I learned about him had me convinced he was the guy who should be leading our team.

He just gives me the feeling we win a SB with him, come hell or high water. Now, if injuries etc get in the way, so be it but there is not a coach around Id rather have. Dude is awesome. All the comparisons to Steve Spurrier were and are complete ignorance.

I agree that comparison was indeed ignorant and have no idea why anyone would compare the two. They are completely different in their football philosophies and IQ. That being said, I do see some similarities with Kelly and the former Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson in some ways. Chip and Howie have a unique and a good working relationship it seems. That is a very positive thing to have. I do feel good things are going to happen with this football team in the very near future. Injuries are tough to overcome, but Chip keeps plugging away.

swat

Shady is the real Mccoy!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think overall, Chip is most like Bill Walsh. Innovative O mind/genius & not much in the way of an ego. JJ & P.Carroll are probably more similar to each other. At least IMO.

BeaverShaver

Blocked, Ignored, and Hated in equal parts (12)
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A great guy, a great leader and an innovative thinker. Makes watching NFL games fun

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think overall, Chip is most like Bill Walsh. Innovative O mind/genius & not much in the way of an ego. JJ & P.Carroll are probably more similar to each other. At least IMO.

I didn't even think of Bill Walsh. That would be a good comparison.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will have to see how it all turns out, but right now, I feel like Chip is the best Eagles coach in my lifetime.

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will have to see how it all turns out, but right now, I feel like Chip is the best Eagles coach in my lifetime.

No respect for Andy Reid or Dick Vermeil? I'd put Andy first. Put the last two to three seasons aside and Andy turned this shit franchise around. Think of some of the trash that came through. Kotite, Rhodes, etc. I loved Buddy Ryan and the defense, but that was all it was. Reid gets my vote. If Chip sticks around and wins a Lombardi, then I'll stick him in this conversation.

SixthStreet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chip was a big time cheat at Oregon. It's the main reason I didn't like the hire, because I think his ethical compass is a bit astray.

There's no doubt he is a football savant. I just hope he stays here long enough to deliver a title.

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chip was a big time cheat at Oregon. It's the main reason I didn't like the hire, because I think his ethical compass is a bit astray.

There's no doubt he is a football savant. I just hope he stays here long enough to deliver a title.

I see where you're coming from. However, I'd suspect a lot of programs from the powerhouse conferences do similar or worse things. This coming from a huge Buckeye fan and supporter to the university. Just to name a few ( Saban, Miles, heck everyone from the SEC).

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How do you feel about Pete Carroll?

TheSnowdog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No respect for Andy Reid or Dick Vermeil? I'd put Andy first. Put the last two to three seasons aside and Andy turned this shit franchise around. Think of some of the trash that came through. Kotite, Rhodes, etc. I loved Buddy Ryan and the defense, but that was all it was. Reid gets my vote. If Chip sticks around and wins a Lombardi, then I'll stick him in this conversation.

Marion Campbell the "Swamp Fox"

:D

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearly Reid and Vermeil have accomplished more than Chip to date. But I think Chip is going to be the best. I have a good feeling about this guy, and Foles.

WIZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I really liked Andy for where he brought this team from where it was. Andy rode the coattails of Walsh like McCarthy, Shanahan, Holmgren and all of them did. Chip is the Walsh in that scenario and it's pretty cool.

It's just a little odd you never see a woman. :noidea:

Iron Eagle

Nostril flare expert.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I really liked Andy for where he brought this team from where it was. Andy rode the coattails of Walsh like McCarthy, Shanahan, Holmgren and all of them did. Chip is the Walsh in that scenario and it's pretty cool.

It's just a little odd you never see a woman. :noidea:

That came up in a conversation I had on another board.

It came down to 2 conclusions. Either he's so dedicated to coaching that he knows he cant devote the time necessary for a good relationship and avoids them or he's gay.

Personally, I'm fine with either. But it's odd that with all of the focus on gay players in sports, we never hear a peep about the coaches.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The profile says he has a girlfriend, an attractive younger blonde.