• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Grant Cohn's 53 man roster

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Predicting the 53-man roster - Inside the 49ers

I pretty much agree for the most part, except:

1) we will not keep 4 tight ends. One of those tight ends will end up on the practice squad and we can call him up if needed. I'm not really crazy about either of them I thought Byham was better.

2) instead of 4 TEs we might keep 6 WRs, which includes Ronald Johnson.

3) I don't think we keep Mike Person. I think we keep Wragge instead.

4) I'm not crazy about Blake Constanzo. I was a different ILB on the 53 man roster. Next year Larry Grant could walk because he's on a 1 year deal and he's not going to start for the 49ers unless he unseats Bowman. So he might go elsewhere to land a starting gig. I want a ILB on the roster that can step in and be that 3rd ILB next year.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Also, isn't it a 54 man roster now with 3 QBs on it? So we can keep an extra guy.

So I'd keep 6 WRs including RoJo, 3 TEs, and 6 CBs including Philip Adams.

I'd also keep an eye on the cuts, and I'd be looking to improve the #3 TE and #4 ILB positions via cuts.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Also, isn't it a 54 man roster now with 3 QBs on it? So we can keep an extra guy.

So I'd keep 6 WRs including RoJo, 3 TEs, and 6 CBs including Philip Adams.

I'd also keep an eye on the cuts, and I'd be looking to improve the #3 TE and #4 ILB positions via cuts.

Actually, it is still a 53 man roster just as before. The only difference is on game day a team can activate a 3rd QB making the active roster now 46, up from 45.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
just wondering..........are we trying really hard to keep Ronald Johnson only because he's a draft pick?

don't know if he's the next best WR to keep, but IF one of the other guys showed more potential, i'd keep him instead. no argument we don't like cutting draft picks, but wouldn't compound the mistake by forcing a spot for RJ.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Braylon, Ginn, and Morgan all have 1 year left on their contracts.
They could all walk. Or they could decide to give the $$$ to Braylon and let Ginn and Morgan walk because then we'd have big $$$ locked up in Braylon and Crabtree.

So it's nice to have a few guys locked up multi-year. That would be Crabtree, Kyle Williams, and RoJo.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Braylon, Ginn, and Morgan all have 1 year left on their contracts.
They could all walk. Or they could decide to give the $$$ to Braylon and let Ginn and Morgan walk because then we'd have big $$$ locked up in Braylon and Crabtree.

So it's nice to have a few guys locked up multi-year. That would be Crabtree, Kyle Williams, and RoJo.

...Or, we cut our losses with Crabtree and shop elsewhere, including our own backyard.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
...Or, we cut our losses with Crabtree and shop elsewhere, including our own backyard.

Personally I think Braylon will have a good year, and we'll lock him up for something like $4M/year. I also think Crabtree will play good enough to not get cut, he'll tease us with his stats again.

Then I just don't see us resigning Ginn or Morgan unless they are willing to sign really really cheap. Plus I personally see Ginn and Morgan as replaceable receivers.

So our WR corp will be Braylon, Crabtree, plus a bunch of younger guys: Kyle Williams, RoJo, etc.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Personally I think Braylon will have a good year, and we'll lock him up for something like $4M/year. I also think Crabtree will play good enough to not get cut, he'll tease us with his stats again.

Then I just don't see us resigning Ginn or Morgan unless they are willing to sign really really cheap. Plus I personally see Ginn and Morgan as replaceable receivers.

So our WR corp will be Braylon, Crabtree, plus a bunch of younger guys: Kyle Williams, RoJo, etc.

I agree about Edwards; and, Crabtree, as you mention, will probably have a year good enough to keep him, but he is not likely to ever hit his escalators, which means his contract will likely be a 6-year instead of a 5-year.

It will be interesting to see how Harbaugh handles the #2 & #3 WR starters. Between, Morgan, Ginn and Williams, SpTeams production could play a role in that decision unless Hunter takes over that role. Also, don't forget, we have Bogan on IR as well. So, to your point, we have a stable of WR's.

Last edited by a moderator: