• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gotta get back to the run

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's clear that Lynch is back to being healthy watching the Dallas game. He was busting through the line and showing good burst. The problem was getting away from the run game. He had 16 touches well into the 3rd quarter, where he should have been over 20 the way we were running when we did. Then, when we needed to move down the field, those 1st and 2nd down 5 yard runs are what created the offense.

Graham's catches down the seam were set up because Lynch is the beast. It's time to get back to punching teams in the mouth instead out thinking ourselves and getting cute on 1st down. Too many 3 and outs lately because of that very thing.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lynch seemed to be better on the ground early than late. I think Dallas made some adjustments to clog up the lanes with more resources.

Most of the time in the NFL -- if not in sports in general -- the more you use something, the less effective it will become. Part of the benefit from the running game's effectiveness needs to be loosening up some opportunities in the air. Balance. If Lynch is right then that bodes well for the O for the back half of the season.

MKHawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For all the crap I give Bevell, I thought he got into a good groove by the 4th quarter. The stupid interception to the worst human on the field and the blocked FG kind of overshadowed it, but Seattle was moving the ball well by the 4th quarter.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
get back to the run? Inside the 20 Seattle is running the ball at a higher % than any other team in the NFL. What i think they need to do is run more between the 20's and pass more inside the 20. This team needs balance and when you are showing a trend one way or another like Seattle IS doing you become easier to defend.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
get back to the run? Inside the 20 Seattle is running the ball at a higher % than any other team in the NFL. What i think they need to do is run more between the 20's and pass more inside the 20. This team needs balance and when you are showing a trend one way or another like Seattle IS doing you become easier to defend.
Things get tougher inside the red zone. There is much less yardage for the D to cover.
It lends me to think INTs will be easier to get in the RZ, so that is probably why Pete likes the run so much.
A 3 point FG is a huge plus compared to turning over the ball. I am more than happy to win a game by a score of 13-12.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things get tougher inside the red zone. There is much less yardage for the D to cover.
It lends me to think INTs will be easier to get in the RZ, so that is probably why Pete likes the run so much.
A 3 point FG is a huge plus compared to turning over the ball. I am more than happy to win a game by a score of 13-12.

I get this and i am not saying at all to abandon the run just make it more 50/50. Not the 70/30 it is now as it's not working we are the worst red zone team in the NFL.

In the red zone Seattle is scoring a TD 29% of the time. In 2014 they were scoring a TD 52% of the time. The Next worst team in the NFL is at 33% and thats' the 49ers. The Hawks are BETTER than that team and it's not even close.. Well they SHOULD be better.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get this and i am not saying at all to abandon the run just make it more 50/50. Not the 70/30 it is now as it's not working we are the worst redzone team in the NFL.
I think we are improving though. We get 2 weeks to heal and study for Az. That will be our most telling game so far.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we are improving though. We get 2 weeks to heal and study for Az. That will be our most telling game so far.

you would think that or maybe not. Against the Cowboys they were at 0% in the Red Zone. at the end of September they were at 37% TD in the Red zone, now they are at 29% for the season so yeah they are "NOT" getting better.

Seattle is the only team under 33% in the NFL

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True, and I do like the idea of opening up more passing options in the red zone, but my comments stem more from the trend we have lately to go 3 and out time after time. We can march the ball down the field when we're running the ball. When we get cute and start throwing out routes on 1st down, we've been giving the ball right back to the other team.

Most of the time in the NFL -- if not in sports in general -- the more you use something, the less effective it will become.

We've seen that for Lynch, this isn't a hard and fast rule at all. Generally the more he gets to punish d linemen, the more they will wear down throughout a game and then we get runs like the beast quake or the 40 yard TD run in the NFCC game. The problem though is if we abandon the run in the 2nd quarter, we don't then have time to wear those guys down by the time the 4th comes around.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's clear that Lynch is back to being healthy watching the Dallas game. He was busting through the line and showing good burst. The problem was getting away from the run game. He had 16 touches well into the 3rd quarter, where he should have been over 20 the way we were running when we did. Then, when we needed to move down the field, those 1st and 2nd down 5 yard runs are what created the offense.

Graham's catches down the seam were set up because Lynch is the beast. It's time to get back to punching teams in the mouth instead out thinking ourselves and getting cute on 1st down. Too many 3 and outs lately because of that very thing.

Good point but I vote that we run him inside and stop running him on the stretch plays... We don't have the blocking and Lynch doesn't have the speed like he use to...

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point but I vote that we run him inside and stop running him on the stretch plays... We don't have the blocking and Lynch doesn't have the speed like he use to...

Completely agree there. I think there was 1 stretch run yesterday and it was either for 1 yard or a loss. Gotta use your players the right way. Lynch is not the speedy shifty RB. Let him run North/South

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've seen that for Lynch, this isn't a hard and fast rule at all. Generally the more he gets to punish d linemen, the more they will wear down throughout a game and then we get runs like the beast quake or the 40 yard TD run in the NFCC game. The problem though is if we abandon the run in the 2nd quarter, we don't then have time to wear those guys down by the time the 4th comes around.
Yeah, would agree that sometimes we can wear them out by a commitment to a physical running game, but it doesn't happen without fail. If that's the expanse of what we can do on offense to win the game, then we can't make it to 2 straight SBs. We have to be able to make plays, as we've done, in the passing game that provide advantage when they're stopping Lynch. And, of course, when we do commit to the run and come up short like in the week 1 OT game, fans will freak out on Bevell.

Lots of people like to say we are a "run first" team and we for sure have benefitted over the last few years from having a really strong ground attack, but in nearly every game that comes down to the wire and we have the ball, we are leaning on RW to make most of the plays and win us the game.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That last series in the red zone was ridiculous. Run/run/sad gimmick play where Wilson had one option with the ball/fg attempt. They started from the 8. You'd think they'd give the 20 million dollar man at least one legit shot of putting the team up more than a TD. We kick FG's because we don't take any legit shots at the end zone. Just a bunch of "make sure we don't turn it over and take 3" crap.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That last series in the red zone was ridiculous. Run/run/sad gimmick play where Wilson had one option with the ball/fg attempt. They started from the 8. You'd think they'd give the 20 million dollar man at least one legit shot of putting the team up more than a TD. We kick FG's because we don't take any legit shots at the end zone. Just a bunch of "make sure we don't turn it over and take 3" crap.

In that situation though, I was fine with the playcalling. Trying to run the clock down as best we could, fg takes the lead at the end of the game. I thought the Wilson roll out on 3rd down was the perfect call there. Give him a shot with his legs to either find a wide open target or run it as far as possible while staying in bounds. That was the right kind of pass play for the last play in the Super Bowl, not an inside slant to your #3 receiver.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In that situation though, I was fine with the playcalling. Trying to run the clock down as best we could, fg takes the lead at the end of the game. I thought the Wilson roll out on 3rd down was the perfect call there. Give him a shot with his legs to either find a wide open target or run it as far as possible while staying in bounds. That was the right kind of pass play for the last play in the Super Bowl, not an inside slant to your #3 receiver.

Yeah, not Bevell's fault Lynch didn't stay in bounds... I agreed w/ the playcalling at the end as well... Lynch stays in bounds, Cowboys only have 35 seconds or so remaining when they get the ball...

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To get the running game going our O-line has to do it's part... I think that's slowly taking shape, the no sacks on Wilson was very encouraging, it appears our line might have turned a corner ...

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, not Bevell's fault Lynch didn't stay in bounds... I agreed w/ the playcalling at the end as well... Lynch stays in bounds, Cowboys only have 35 seconds or so remaining when they get the ball...

I can't even begin to tell you the meltdown I had when that happened... It was just another of many dumb mistakes by Seattle closing out games this year....

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To get the running game going our O-line has to do it's part... I think that's slowly taking shape, the no sacks on Wilson was very encouraging, it appears our line might have turned a corner ...

I thought they turned the corner after Rawls had run for a buck 70... I'm going to wait and see how they do in back to back games before I gain hope that they've turned the corner... Like you, I sure hope so...

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought they turned the corner after Rawls had run for a buck 70... I'm going to wait and see how they do in back to back games before I gain hope that they've turned the corner... Like you, I sure hope so...

I hear that... I'm definitely now secure with that group, but I do have more confidence...