• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Goodell to hear Brady appeal

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry Jones said that Goodell is distinguished by his fairness.

he's been drinking again!!!
and he didn't think Goofdell was being fair when he scalped a bunch of cap money available for a few years.

Fencer

Not left-handed either
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure if that's good or bad for Brady and the Patriots.

A deal or Goodell wants to show he will stand tough?

I think Goodell wants to intimidate Brady into handing over his texts or whatever. If he does that, he can reduce or eliminate the penalty yet still claim victory.

Also, it's probably technically against the rules to negotiate a settlement agreement "I'll slash the penalty if you promise not to go to court afterwards", so it might be easier for him to break the rules if they're face to face.

I.e., I think he basically wants to force Brady into a face-to-face meeting.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just going off prior precedent on issues that do not have as clearly defined punishments and it isn't unusual for them to reduce on appeal. What it does is gets the Pats to leave it at that and not pursue more civil or other legal action against the league.

4 games suspension when the punishment is what $25,000 is why this is being appealed.

But who does have an appeal for anything the league does regardless of which league it's in. It's only natural for someone to appeal.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Goodell wants to intimidate Brady into handing over his texts or whatever. If he does that, he can reduce or eliminate the penalty yet still claim victory.

Also, it's probably technically against the rules to negotiate a settlement agreement "I'll slash the penalty if you promise not to go to court afterwards", so it might be easier for him to break the rules if they're face to face.

I don't know. All this seems very short sighted. If he forces this into the courts he very easily could lose the whole case and continue to look like a fool.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know. All this seems very short sighted. If he forces this into the courts he very easily could lose the whole case and continue to look like a fool.

a perfect storm it would be if it includes him cleaning out his office.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bradys lawyers: "we feel the punishment is too severe. we'd like to appeal"

goodell: "this has been a nice meeting. dont forget to grab a muffin on your way out"

boomer esiason is right...goodells backed into a corner, yet again.

Fencer

Not left-handed either
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Goodell never does what's needed in these cases to stay out of court. So he keeps going and keeps losing.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 games. Said it before the penalties came out and still saying it now.

That it's Goodell hearing it? Not surprised. It was Troy Vincent that handled the report and punishment to begin with. Now Goodell will get his turn.

I can already hear the cries of all of the Pats fans.

Doesn't matter. This appeal is simply a stepping stone to the Fed level. The NFLPA is required to go through the CBA process before they can file it in with the NLB, which is where I think they are intending on bringing it.

I forget where I saw it yesterday, and post it if I can find it again, that the NFL broke the CBA when they issued the 4 game suspension by not informing and discussing it with the NFLPA first. This one violation will be more than adequate for the NLB to agree to hear the case, and it's doubtful the NFL will win in that setting.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't be surprised if they got their 4th rnd pick back as well. Either that, or drop the 1st to a second.

I think Goodell is going to give something back to appease his relationship with Kraft. Wait for it.

He might, but the relationship is dead, and that effectively means Goodell is basically a dead man walking.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Appease Kraft enough to keep this from going into the civil or other courts.

There will be some kind of reduction, but the idea it will be eliminated and Brady plays against the Steelers just went out the window entirely.

You realize it's the NFLPA and not Kraft right?

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
children-dutch-dutch_boys-fables-leaks-toilet-jkon809_low.jpg

The little Dutch boy and Ted Wells have something in common.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not so sure about that at all. There could be a number of things that surface which incriminate Brady further.

The same can be said about any of the parties involved.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"as the nfl turns..."

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't know what the formal procedures are for these things, but of course he was probably in the loop to some degree. Still, I doubt he read every page. I'm sure it was more Vincent than anyone else with the severity of the findings.

I just see this as classic damage control to save the league and the Pats (as part of the league) for the greater good of the game. Concessions will happen, but Brady will not play vs the Steelers nor Bills.

And this line of thinking by you doesn't take into account that it is the NFLPA that is appealing, not the Patriots.

The appeal is simply a stepping stone to take it to the NLB, which by all accounts they have every intention to do if the punishment is vacated.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodell heading this thing doesn't mean it's some attempt too smooth it over with Kraft or lessen the blow to Brady.

Could very well be the opposite. While no doubt that Kraft has probably more power at the NFL front office, than any other owner, he's still just an owner. This could also be a move to remove the "co-commish" perception Kraft has with the rest of the league and regain some credibility that's desperately needed. There are also 31 other teams and it appears the owners are backing Goodell in this matter and the punishment delivered.

It could all be some elaborate production of "good cop, bad cop" to make it look like the NFL is going to do something, and then reduce everything during appeal to a wrist slap. Could happen. We'll see. If the Brady suspension is reduced, we'll know Goodell was just pulling a bait and switch to ride it out softly.

Peter King reported a few days ago that the reaction amongst the other owners is mixed.

Also the owners are meeting this coming week, and man would I like to be a fly on the wall for those meetings.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodell could have made the original ruling, but let Vincent, specifically so he could hear the appeal. If Brady really wants to go to court, that cell phone is getting subpoenaed. 4 games will stand

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Goodell will be facing the reps and lawyers of the NFLPA.