• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

good cap management

C

cubzzzfanincali

Damn... honestly Cubz. I just refer to you for this stuff. lol, Always giving the low down on the Bears cap situation. Then I pass it off to friends as if I know what the hell I'm talking about.

haha, damn dude, that's living dangerously!

C

cubzzzfanincali

Coming from a guy who retards himself thinking the practice squad counts against the cap and didn't know about the Jay Cutler contract.....I'll stick with the info from the NFL AND THE BEARS.....I appreciate the offer but I'll kindly decline.....

:wtf2:

According to the NFL, "http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/8/31/4677982/nfl-practice-squad-salary-rules-eligibility:, practice squads "do count against the cap."

What you have misunderstood is that when they are on a practice squad contract, they cost the cap so little it is basically meaningless. If they come over to the roster, they get a raise. Then they trigger more significant salary cap costs. So, for our purposes, they sort of matter. But not much.

Go ahead dude, believe that the Bears are $20 million under the cap. Cheers. Tell it to people in bars, tell it to people on here, tell it to Bill Belichick if you see him. If he asks you how hot your wife is, and you tell him she's way hotter than she really is, Belichick will somehow use that against you.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Practice squad players earn significantly less than players on the active roster, but they still take home a solid weekly paycheck. NFL practice squad players make a minimum of $6,000 per week they are on the practice squad. There is no limit to how much a team can pay a player on the practice squad. Some will offer a higher weekly salary in order to entice better players to sign, although the practice squad contracts do count against the salary cap.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have paid practice squad players significantly more in recent seasons. In 2010,*Tampa Bay offered*wide receiver Dezmon Briscoe a contract worth equivalent to the minimum salary to entice him to sign to its practice squad.

If a player remains on the practice squad for an entire regular season, he would earn $102,000. A player with less than one accrued season on the active roster would earn a minimum salary of $405,000.

A team can pay a player whatever they like to entice him to be on their practice squad. However, those salaries do count against the cap.

:lol:

The practice squad players cost ZERO against the salary cap....

The highest 51 contracts are all that count against the cap. Plus dead money. From what I've read.
Not disagreeing, just adding.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can designate someone a June 1st cut prior to June 1st. See Miles Austin. Designated a June 1st cut yesterday.

Did they designate peppers as a june 1 cut? I guess all the way Emery writes contracts its just paperwork to catch up later.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did they designate peppers as a june 1 cut? I guess all the way Emery writes contracts its just paperwork to catch up later.

No they did not, we are taking his hit this year only. And it also is looking like they're not going to mess with Jay's or Gould's or Slausen's contracts either to alter cap space. So this is basically it for big F/A signings with a possible exception of Tillman or Melton.

C

cubzzzfanincali

well, although I doubt they resign either one, if one is getting signed, it's definitely Tillman. Tillman is old, Melton is young, Melton will get a lot of money from someone (I'm looking right at you Oakland, huge amount of cap room, disastrous offseason on a team with tons of needs and getting almost nothing to show for it, big needs on D line, plays 4-3). From what it sounds like, Peanut is gradually coming to terms with the fact that his open market value isn't as high as it once was. Now....whether it falls far enough so that any hometown discount he would give us actually puts the Bears in play, I'm pretty skeptical. He's a good enough corner yet in a league desperate for good corners. But I suppose it isn't 0% if he still hasn't signed yet. Melton though...I'll be downright stunned if he winds up back on the Bears.

Plus as it is right now our needs are greater at cornerback than DT. While we don't have a true undertackle, the position is at least covered. I forget, who are we starting across from Tim Jennings? Or should we not worry about that since the safeties we have will cover up for the deficiencies at cornerback? Um, yeah.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No they did not, we are taking his hit this year only. And it also is looking like they're not going to mess with Jay's or Gould's or Slausen's contracts either to alter cap space. So this is basically it for big F/A signings with a possible exception of Tillman or Melton.

Most of us understand they will Mess with Cutlers deal if they need to get someone. The defense wont get built in a year so swallowing the peppers and cutler money this season means lots of room next year. Thats is what I am concerned with them messing with. We might get lucky with the picks this year and get some defensive line rotation guys, but if they dont work out, I am sure come august they will be picking up cut players to fill in again and them maybe need to take a few million from the Cutler hit, but hopefully, its swallowing most of it this year.

C

cubzzzfanincali

anotheridiot, you may well be right, but there is another major possibility. I would bet the ranch that there's at least some back-room negotiating going on with Marshall right now. If we're going to keep him, I'd think considering the financial effects that we almost have to do an extension before the season starts. Now, sure, you extend Marshall, it's actually even possible his 2014 hit gets lowered. Sure. But they may be saving the Cutler option to try to give themselves as much flexibility in that negotiation as possible. Like it or not, the Marshall contract is probably the biggest contract issue facing the Bears right now, and probably matters more to Emery than signing, say, Parys Haralson to play strongside linebacker.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
extending marshall during the season usually means a big piece of the signing bonus gets taken from this years cap. That was the problem they had last year, they had no room to pay any of the signing bonus money so they didnt bother extending our players til the season was over.

Marshall is a big piece and right now the sixth highest paid receiver in the game, $5250.00 less than the number 5. Alshon is moving up rapidly and is gonna make a meager 1.1 million. They dont have to, but working Alshons contract now to get him up closer to his value might make more sense before opening the purse strings for Marshall again. If Alshon has better stats again this year, (well, if Jay throws him the ball enough) wont he be demanding the kind of money Megatron and Fitzpatrick are looking at, or at least the 9 million Marshall has been getting paid? You bump him now with a new 4 year deal for 16 million, when you pay Marshall you will have him locked up.

We dont know how much longer Marshall has, he takes alot of abuse and Jay will surely have no problem moving some of his money if its gonna pay his buddy. You work out Marshall now with another multi year who knows how long he lasts and if you can afford Alshon if you do resign him.

C

cubzzzfanincali

and they just signed Tillman! Wow. I wonder what the price tag was. Haven't seen it anywhere. Hard to imagine he didn't draw much interest around the league, but maybe he didn't.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and they just signed Tillman! Wow. I wonder what the price tag was. Haven't seen it anywhere. Hard to imagine he didn't draw much interest around the league, but maybe he didn't.

From what I heard . 1 yr. just under 3.5 mil . Whatever that means.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Form of an update, I ripped this from another Board, don't think the writer will mind:

"I'm getting the feeling that some of you guys are mislead into thinking the team has more cap space than they really have.

I want to do a breakdown & get everyone on the same page.

After the Tillman contract the team had $5.74M in space.

They signed Izzy (.95) Steltz (.73) & McCray (.73). After accounting for ACTUAL cap hit (subtracting $.42 from each of those numbers because that is vet minimum that they are replacing), the total cap hit of these 3 players were $1.24M.

The cap space was then at $4.5M & they cut Bennett which provided $2.45M (aka $2.03M) in space.

THE CAP FIGURE AS IT STANDS RIGHT NOW IS: $6.53M. It can max out at $7.21M IF Weems is cut.

The thing most fans don't take into account is that YOU HAVE TO TAKE $5M out for the draft class & emergency season $$$.

Last year's class cost around $2.1M & spent $2M w/ all the injuries. Better draft position means it will cost a bit more.

After all of this, the REAL cap number that the Bears can spend is:

$1.53M & can go to $2.21M IF Weems is cut.

Right now, though the real spending space is $1.53M.

Please use this as reference before posting about who the team desperately needs to sign." -- EverybodyHatesCutler

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
of course...if they simply traded Lance Briggs.....

This is true, it almost sounds like it would be a draft day deal at this point, maybe get a second rounder? What do you think he is worth?

C

cubzzzfanincali

This is true, it almost sounds like it would be a draft day deal at this point, maybe get a second rounder? What do you think he is worth?

A second rounder would be overpaying because of his age. Probably a third, maybe a fourth. But yeah it would almost certainly not be something done until the draft, I would think.

This isn't being rumored anywhere, it just screams to me to be the logical thing to try to do. And given Emery, I'd be surprised if they didn't at least consider hypothetical scenarios for every single guy on the roster (including Cutler, at least up until he signed his new contract).

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A second rounder would be overpaying because of his age. Probably a third, maybe a fourth. But yeah it would almost certainly not be something done until the draft, I would think.

This isn't being rumored anywhere, it just screams to me to be the logical thing to try to do. And given Emery, I'd be surprised if they didn't at least consider hypothetical scenarios for every single guy on the roster (including Cutler, at least up until he signed his new contract).

It is sad, but it looks like all our young LB'ers are all better playing Brigg's slot. Ooops.