• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Good article that explains Browns plan

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's overrated, but the Browns did set themselves up nicely even if they have up to this point not capitalized on a very solid foundation in terms of core talent from the Sashi years. How they handled the cap is worth talking about, imo. It is impressive even if it hasn't gotten playoff wins for them as of yet.
Exactly!! Now, before the sashi years they were just awful in the draft and as has been pointed out, hardly anyone drafted really worth paying (Haden, Bitonio, Kirksey and Joe Thomas all that come to mind).

If I'm not mistaken in 2019, the Browns were top 3 in spending AND cap space at a time they began to try and win. Right now they have the most cap space AND still spend in the middle of the pack. Excellent use of the cap/cap carryover IMO.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of cap space usually means you have had a long period of poor drafting.

Majority of a team's cap space goes to resign their own drafted players that produced and if you have a lot of cap space it usually means you don't have a lot of guys worth resigning.
True...it also means you don't waste money on overpaid, past their prime players. In addition, you identify what a guy is worth and wont bid against yourself to sign such a player (like I'm guessing was the case with Clowney).

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah and this cap space won't be for long if their top players continue to improve and demand top $$ in the next couple years. Most are at key positions as well.

QB - Mayfield - $35M+/year
RB - Chubb - $15M/year
CB - Ward - A lot?

That is a lot of money in three players but they have set up the future nicely with this cap space.

Already paid up on OBJ, Landry, Hooper and OL and now Garrett but OBJ might want a restructured contract with a higher salary.
Not sure how long they can make it last, but looks like at least another few seasons. Guys you mention wont have extensions kick until 2023.

Those who say, "you have a ton of space, just sign whoever......it doesn't matter" don't get it. It matters in cap carryover. I recall some saying sign Clowney and keep Vernon, what's the diff? The diff is you'd be paying $15 mil or so to a backup and that's $15 mil you wont have next year. Luckily, we have guys who understand this....now we can only hope they continue to draft well (assuming their recent draft is actually good and not just on paper good).

as for your guys above? Sounds about right for Baker IF he performs like we hope this year (maybe a little less). agree a lot for Ward ($12-15 mil?). Not sure I can see them paying $15 mil to a RB but figure they somehow keep Chubb or Hunt.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on man! If you're gonna do that you have to have the updated list. Your list left off Campbell, Hoyer, Johnny Outta Football, Shaw, McCown, Davis, Kessel, RG III, Kizer, Hogan and Taylor.
and Baker (or did I miss him somewhere?).

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and Baker (or did I miss him somewhere?).

I'm not counting Mayfield right now. If he's added to the list that means he's failed. I haven't given up on him yet.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone remember the last Cleveland Browns AFC North title reign? (It's a trick question). I'll take wins over plans.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone remember the last Cleveland Browns AFC North title reign? (It's a trick question). I'll take wins over plans.

:pound:

I remember the Browns winning the AFCn. Yes it was a while ago. '85, '86, '87 and '89.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:pound:

I remember the Browns winning the AFCn. Yes it was a while ago. '85, '86, '87 and '89.
That's why it was a trick question.....was still AFC Central back then. We've yet to win the North.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe this season...if there is a this season?

That would be great. But where things stand right now I don't see the season starting in September. Maybe in November if we're lucky?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be great. But where things stand right now I don't see the season starting in September. Maybe in November if we're lucky?
Forced to bet on a full season starting and ending as planned I'd bet no......But with the money involved I wont rule it out at all.

It'a a more socially distant sport, but we might get a better idea when baseball starts. I think the biggest issue both sports face is what the players do OFF the field and if they will adhere to the "code".

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forced to bet on a full season starting and ending as planned I'd bet no......But with the money involved I wont rule it out at all.

It'a a more socially distant sport, but we might get a better idea when baseball starts. I think the biggest issue both sports face is what the players do OFF the field and if they will adhere to the "code".

Obviously nobody knows what will happen. All I know is I'm missing sports. Looking forward to MLB starting later in the week. Hope nothing sidetracks the start.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously nobody knows what will happen. All I know is I'm missing sports. Looking forward to MLB starting later in the week. Hope nothing sidetracks the start.
Yep...baseball my least favorite among the 3 pro sports I follow, but I cannot wait!!