• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Goldson seeking Weddle type contract

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The PFT article I read about it said an 8 year 40M deal. I figured 5M per year was a good deal, but 8 years is too long.

8M per year is too much.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What I can see happening is as long as Dashon is playing well, we might just keep applying the franchise tag on him year in and year out because the safety franchise tag is one of the lowest in the league.

Keep paying him about $6M per year as long as he's playing well.

He's probably not gonna get Weddle money, and Weddle was overpaid.

Draft a good backup for Dashon, and the year Dashon declines let him walk.
We still don't have a good enough backup for Dashon that could replace him.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What I can see happening is as long as Dashon is playing well, we might just keep applying the franchise tag on him year in and year out because the safety franchise tag is one of the lowest in the league.Keep paying him about $6M per year as long as he's playing well.

I dont think it works like that though.

I believe if a player is franchised a 2nd time, the amount of money goes up quite a bit. I'm not exactly sure with the new cba in all but it used to be something like 20%?

And for tagging a player 3 times in a row, I dont think it can be done.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Franchising him over and over isn't practical and I think eventually we'll work out good compromise contract that will make both sides happy.

Length of the contract really isn't an issue since a contract in the NFL is about as good as toilet paper so it's going to be a question of how much guaranteed money he gets and how much a year for the first couple of seasons.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so what safeties are available next summer?

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There's a strong safety class next year. We should be able to target a good one within the first three or four rounds.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What I can see happening is as long as Dashon is playing well, we might just keep applying the franchise tag on him year in and year out because the safety franchise tag is one of the lowest in the league.

Keep paying him about $6M per year as long as he's playing well.

That wouldn't work. Franchise tag rules state
1. (as previously loosely described) The franchise player salary is either the average of the top 5 salaries at the position or 120% of what the player made the previous year - whichever is more. So franchising him next year would be 120% of this year's salary. If the tag were exactly 6M, then next year Goldson would make 7.2M.

2. Franchising a player for a 3rd year is a 144% increase OR the cost of the highest franchise player tender that year - whichever is greater. This means that Goldson's year 3 cost would either be roughly 10.4M or the cost of franchising a QB. Is Dashon Goldson worth a one year contract in the 22M range? Possibly more.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised we would even go 7 mil per.

+1

My thought on signing Goldson is the Niners would pay him a little over 7 mil on a 4-5 year deal with a clause that lets the Niners cut ties after 2-3 years. That way, if the Niners can find another good FS in the next 2 drafts, good; if they can't find an FS, we'd still have Goldson.

This next thought is kind of random, but no matter how well Goldson plays, I always think of him as the guy who couldn't beat out Mark Roman for the starting spot..... and cutting Roman doesn't count as Goldson "winning" the job in my book, as much as it meant Mark Roman really, really sucked.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This next thought is kind of random, but no matter how well Goldson plays, I always think of him as the guy who couldn't beat out Mark Roman for the starting spot..... and cutting Roman doesn't count as Goldson "winning" the job in my book, as much as it meant Mark Roman really, really sucked.

In Goldson's defense, part of that I'm sure had to do with learning the defense and the staff being more comfortable with a below average veteran that would be less likely to give up a big play. Not saying I agree with that, I just think that probably had a bit to do with it.