• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gio Bernard

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I drafted him late in my draft last night. Not sure which round but was around the 8th. No one watched any Cincinnati games this pre season so they didn't know anything about him. Stealll

Yeah that was a steal........I might be able to pass on him at #42 and get him at #53 but I doubt it........depends on what WR's there are for me at #42................

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it looks like I'm definitely taking him in the 4th then. Good input on your other drafts guys, I appreciate it.

With a PPR format, what are your thoughts on this RB lineup -

Charles/Spiller/McCoy/Martin (1)
Reggie Bush (2) - If I'm lucky
Bernard (4)
Vereen (5)
Ingram (9)

think you may want to add an "if I'm lucky" to Vereen in the fifth as well. Maybe in a standard league, where your not playing with 11 other RB's mongers (like our A leaguers!!) he might make it there, but I would highly doubt it in a PPR. With fairly well known reports of him lining up at wideout for NE, many PPR's are drooling to snag him, and rightfully so.
But yea, if you can assemble even just the top 3/5's of that, you'll have a great start.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it looks like I'm definitely taking him in the 4th then. Good input on your other drafts guys, I appreciate it.

Bernard (4)
Vereen (5)
Ingram (9)

I am in two competitive leagues and I got Ingram late in the snake draft and cheap in the auction. Maybe a trend you could hope to grab him late if you have to pick between say vereen and a WR.

McCoy scares me with his concussions.

Bush was their in the second and I am in Michigan so I thought the Homers would have grabbed him. He will see 20 touches a game and 4-8 will be passes.

I would add Miller in the 3/4 would be a good pick if you had a shot at someone like Julio Jones in the second.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe - ...So when it comes to your turn to pick players that are auctioned off, would you then continually pick OTHER RBs, in hopes that other owners will spend their alloted funds on those guys, leaving Bernard to be a cheap steal for you?

The League - In this particular league most of the guys know what they're doing, but they don't necessarily drill down in the rankings to find the diamonds. So while the big name players will draw a lot of attention and $$$, some of the guys like Bernard, Thompkins and maybe even Lacy will be cheaper. In theory.

The Strategy - Like you mentioned, usually I "nominate" a hyped player just to get it over with - someone I'm not interested in spending a quarter of my budget on - like Amendola or Graham. Usually best to start with a RB or WR. Sometimes the bidding will surprise you. Maybe no one is high on Gore and his bidding stops at $6. Not saying that this will happen with Gore, but it happens. Plus it's tough to pass up some guys (depth) for less than $10.

With the aforementioned in mind, we happen to know each other pretty well. And apparently I don't have a very good poker face. No matter who I start bidding on, someone always tries to out bid me. This could work to their disadvantage once I stop bidding, but usually the other 9 guys all tend to take turns to out bid me (I should take that as a compliment I guess).

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If its a RB league then sure thats good... but only a WR in the 3rd and QB in the 6th and then WR 7th and 8th, you are going to be short WRs... I would skip vereen, maybe you can get him later or maybe not he wont help your team anyway...

I actually have been really thinking about waiting on QB until late, like the 10th or later, because that's where I'm seeing Jay Cutler going. I'm not saying he's gonna be a top 5 QB, but I think he is definitely top 10 in Trestman's offense. They seem like they're going to be much more dynamic this year in their offensive attack. What I'd likely do it WR in 3, 6 and 7, as I think I can get probably TY Hilton in the 6th or 7th (he is their #2 WR, I don't care if DHB was lining up with the first string in the preseason), and then Josh Gordon in the 7th. I also think I should be able to grab Thompkins from NE in the 8th or 9th. It wouldn't be the most amazing WR core, but with PPR backs like my 1st rounder, Bush and Bernard, I'd be fine.

think you may want to add an "if I'm lucky" to Vereen in the fifth as well. Maybe in a standard league, where your not playing with 11 other RB's mongers (like our A leaguers!!) he might make it there, but I would highly doubt it in a PPR. With fairly well known reports of him lining up at wideout for NE, many PPR's are drooling to snag him, and rightfully so.
But yea, if you can assemble even just the top 3/5's of that, you'll have a great start.

Yeah, I've been hearing more about Vereen as well, and I'm hoping the other guys in my league don't shoot for him that quickly. I am not 100% sure he is a 5th round talent, but with Woodhead gone he is really intriguing. Thanks for the input though. Really, it's all hinging on Bush in the 2nd and Bernard in the 4th. In a PPR format, I think I could end the year with those two as a RB1/RB2 and be in good shape. Not good enough that I'm gonna go with Calvin at 5, but still in great shape. Bernard will be my flex starting week 1.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am in two competitive leagues and I got Ingram late in the snake draft and cheap in the auction. Maybe a trend you could hope to grab him late if you have to pick between say vereen and a WR.

McCoy scares me with his concussions.

Bush was their in the second and I am in Michigan so I thought the Homers would have grabbed him. He will see 20 touches a game and 4-8 will be passes.

I would add Miller in the 3/4 would be a good pick if you had a shot at someone like Julio Jones in the second.

I was a lot more worried about McCoy losing time to Bryce Brown but he's starting to drop since he can't hold on to the damn ball, so I think McCoy is gonna have a very good year. Of course I'd prefer Charles or Spiller, so I'm hoping one of them is still there. I have a buddy who loves Foster picking 4th so I may luck out. If not, I've honestly been entertaining the idea of Forte at 5.

I love Bush this year. I think he could easily have Sproles-level catches in that offense.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alfred Morris seems to have a great situation in Washington He may not catch the ball as much as say Martin but he plays on a better team and proved to be pretty good last year. I don't get why he seems to have fallen out of the first round?

I would much rather have Morris than say Steven Jackson.

The real question about Bush is do you go with him as your 2nd back, a very good rbi IMO, or go with a Julio Jones, D. Thomas, or Brandon Marshall?

Knowing Miller, Murray, DMC, Wilson, Gore could be around in the third.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alfred Morris seems to have a great situation in Washington He may not catch the ball as much as say Martin but he plays on a better team and proved to be pretty good last year. I don't get why he seems to have fallen out of the first round?

I would much rather have Morris than say Steven Jackson.

The real question about Bush is do you go with him as your 2nd back, a very good rbi IMO, or go with a Julio Jones, D. Thomas, or Brandon Marshall?

Knowing Miller, Murray, DMC, Wilson, Gore could be around in the third.

Do not want. I'd take Gio over them as RB2 at this point.

As far as having Bush over someone like Julio or Marshall, it's a numbers thing. While I know Marshall and Julio will both approach or exceed 100 catches with 1200-1300+ and 10+ scores, I don't think Andre Johnson or Reggie Wayne will be that far off from those numbers either, and both can be had later. Outside of Sproles and some first round RBs, I don't think another RB will approach the PPR quality of Bush.

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's moving up - what are your expectations? (Mine are pretty high.)

hey Wil i have been sitting on him since you first informed me

i happy my league guys have no idea that we are here on SportsHoopla

the first available draft spot where a player can be kept is round 4 pick one-which i happen to own
back 6 to 7 weeks ago i had my eyes set on Lamar at that spot..now i'm hoping Bernard makes it out of round 3 so i can grab him there....

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bernard (4)
Vereen (5)
Ingram (9)

Sox with that you Kill

Ram Tough

You pray for rain, you gotta deal with the mud too
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cats out the bag big time!!! in a PPR he will be a high end 2 possibly Rb1 by season end. I just took him with first pick in 5th round in a 12 man $250 PPR league..

if u want Gio bad take him in the 4th.. in a PPR go RB/WR/WR/Gio// then id target Shane Vereen as my Rb3 in a ppr

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cats out the bag big time!!! in a PPR he will be a high end 2 possibly Rb1 by season end. I just took him with first pick in 5th round in a 12 man $250 PPR league..

if u want Gio bad take him in the 4th.. in a PPR go RB/WR/WR/Gio// then id target Shane Vereen as my Rb3 in a ppr

That is a bold move, and I've been strongly considering it. I just am not sure if I'm willing to hand the reigns over to 2 guys who aren't listed as starters right now... if Reggie is there in the 2nd, he's mine. If not, and someone like Marshall/Julio is, then I'm in a pickle.

Ram Tough

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a bold move, and I've been strongly considering it. I just am not sure if I'm willing to hand the reigns over to 2 guys who aren't listed as starters right now... if Reggie is there in the 2nd, he's mine. If not, and someone like Marshall/Julio is, then I'm in a pickle.

Ya PPR i have 2 admit is alil different of a strategy then non ppr.. Vereen i feel will be used like a Darren Sproles I really feel he is great value in a ppr and has RB2 potential even tho he is not the starter. He still will be heavily involved in the offense.. Gio is not the starter either but I forsee a big 2nd half of the season for him.. Green-Ellis looks slow as ever and Bernard I feel will take the reins half way thru the season..

Be careful with Reggie Bush.. He should have a ton of catches but i worry about his health and running ability.. Lions O-line looks awful and if Bush is not catching at least 5 passes a game his number will be hurting.. I also expect a low TD Total for Bush but that's just my opinion.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also expect a low TD Total for Bush but that's just my opinion.

Is that because of Leshoure taking GL duties, the passing game getting the red zone TDs, or DET not scoring a lot of TDs this year?

Cause if Reggie is getting Red Zone targets AND carries, I could see him scoring over 10 TDs pretty easily. Javid Best had some electrifying games in his short career, and I expect Reggie to have a few multi-TD, +170yd rush/rec games this year. Unless a better WR2 shows up than Burleson or Broyles, Stafford's options go Calvin-wait for Calvin to get open-look at RB-look back at Calvin then he decides if he throws to Calvin or the RB. I love Bush's potential in PPR this year

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless a better WR2 shows up than Burleson or Broyles, Stafford's options go Calvin-wait for Calvin to get open-look at RB-look back at Calvin then he decides if he throws to Calvin or the RB
As a Lions fan, I both laughed really hard at that, and cried a little. ;)

Ram Tough

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that because of Leshoure taking GL duties, the passing game getting the red zone TDs, or DET not scoring a lot of TDs this year?

Cause if Reggie is getting Red Zone targets AND carries, I could see him scoring over 10 TDs pretty easily.

10 TDs for Reggie Bush!!!!!!! Wooooooooow that's a high projection

I just don't see Reggie as that big of a threat in the running game..Leshoure and Bell will also get carries throughout the game. He will never get goal line carries. In the Redzone Calvin, Pettigrew even Leshoure will be more of a go to option than Bush.

I just feel Bush is alot of hype just like when he got drafted into the league.. In a PPR League he should be valuable but in a non-ppr I see him being a big disappointment but we will see

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reggie's a good red-zone threat, but I'd be surprised if he has more than a handful of legit GL carries - enough so defenses have to remember that he's a running back and not just a receiver - but most of his TDs will probably be short passes.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10 TDs for Reggie Bush!!!!!!! Wooooooooow that's a high projection

as a team, DET scored 17 rushing TDs and 22 passing TDs last year, in what many considered, a huge disappointment for the Lions offense.

I honestly dont see Leshoure or Bell getting more than 3-4 touches each per game. Its not like they got Bush as a huge steal, he was still a top FA signing, and 1 that they are going to use a lot, imo.
Leshoure stealing GL duties would worry me some, but I at least want to see that rolled out as the gameplan before just saying Reggie isnt going to get those carries. Leshoure had a shot to lock down the RB1 job in DET last year, and didnt.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as a team, DET scored 17 rushing TDs and 22 passing TDs last year, in what many considered, a huge disappointment for the Lions offense.

I honestly dont see Leshoure or Bell getting more than 3-4 touches each per game. Its not like they got Bush as a huge steal, he was still a top FA signing, and 1 that they are going to use a lot, imo.
Leshoure stealing GL duties would worry me some, but I at least want to see that rolled out as the gameplan before just saying Reggie isnt going to get those carries. Leshoure had a shot to lock down the RB1 job in DET last year, and didnt.

Just to throw it out there..Leshoure was 6 of 7 converting TD's inside the five. He obviously didn't convince the staff he was a true #1, but its reasonable to assume he has convinced them of his ability to be the short yardage banger. BTW-Bush is 4 of 10 inside the five for the past two seasons combined. .meaning not only is he not great at converting, but that no one has much faith in even giving him very many chances either.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Detroit's red zone was god awful last year. LeShoure will remain in the short yardage position and I see him filling a Michael Bush type role in Detroit....nothing to get excited about as long as Bush and Bell stay healthy.

As I Lions fan the only Lion I would feel good about is Calvin and then Bush and Stafford I have high expectations but would hold my breath.

Bush very well could lose touches to Bell as they play similar roles. He will lose short yardage to LeShoure and if Fauria makes the team the red zone option may be pass first.