• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ghostbusters (2016) (reboot)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I don't see the whole Kevin thing as misandry, no one was really hating on him for being a man he was just oblivious to everything and really stupid. I didn't see it as "Kevin was stupid because he was a man" I saw it as "Kevin was stupid because he was a stupid person". You could've put a female in his place and kept the same jokes and dialogue and it would've worked(as long as the female was funny since Chris Hemsworth had the funniest lines in the movie).
I haven't seen the movie, so take this for what it is worth...

Imagine a movie made today with 5 leads (4 men and 1 woman). Only one of the leads is a moron, and it is the woman.

Do you seriously think this movie would not be protested and/or boycotted?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I don't see the whole Kevin thing as misandry, no one was really hating on him for being a man he was just oblivious to everything and really stupid. I didn't see it as "Kevin was stupid because he was a man" I saw it as "Kevin was stupid because he was a stupid person". You could've put a female in his place and kept the same jokes and dialogue and it would've worked(as long as the female was funny since Chris Hemsworth had the funniest lines in the movie).
A real feminist movie would've shown a male secretary as a viable position. Not that i need social justice in a comedy but that's just a reflection of where we are at in modern America.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Imagine a movie made today with 5 leads (4 men and 1 woman). Only one of the leads is a moron, and it is the woman.

Which if you didn't have the context of the history of Hollywood, would be a real meaningful distinction.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but that's just a reflection of where we are at in modern America.

Yep, if there's one problem America faces nowadays it's reverse discrimination.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, if there's one problem America faces nowadays it's reverse discrimination.
No such thing as reverse discrimination. There is only discrimination.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it is OK to discriminate against certain groups?

Water off this duck's back. The writers/directors of Ghostbusters have no way to effect my life in any shape or form.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Often times movies have an idiot female secretary so this was kind of a role reversal of that which is why I think more people were ok with that. You had one of the female leads constantly hitting on the dumb male secretary instead of the male lead hitting on the blonde bimbo.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Water off this duck's back. The writers/directors of Ghostbusters have no way to effect my life in any shape or form.
So YOUR group is not the target, so "no water off my back".

Look, I admit I have no prob with what I assume happened in this movie (again, I haven't seen it, so I cannot argue specifically on this example). I do, however, have a problem where jokes about men are OK but jokes about women are not. Jokes about whites are OK while jokes about blacks are not. Jokes about Christians are fine, but jokes about Jews or Muslims are off limits.

I like a good "take my wife, please" joke. I also think it humous when jokes are made about men's obsession with sports and boobs. Give me a good "A priest, a rabbi and an imam walked into a bar..." joke any day of the week.

I just can't stand the double standard.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A real feminist movie would've shown a male secretary as a viable position. Not that i need social justice in a comedy but that's just a reflection of where we are at in modern America.

But see this wasn't a feminist movie(and god I hate that word, I care about women's rights and equality and that's why I'm not a feminist) it's just a comedy starring women. There was no "see we don't need no man" or "look we're doing the same thing men can do" aspect to the movie it was more like here are 4 main characters and they happen to be women. You could've kept the same script and used men and it would've been the same movie.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Often times movies have an idiot female secretary so this was kind of a role reversal of that which is why I think more people were ok with that. You had one of the female leads constantly hitting on the dumb male secretary instead of the male lead hitting on the blonde bimbo.
Yeah, I am cool with that.

But just don't turn around and protest the movie that does it the other way tomorrow.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But see this wasn't a feminist movie(and god I hate that word, I care about women's rights and equality and that's why I'm not a feminist) it's just a comedy starring women. There was no "see we don't need no man" or "look we're doing the same thing men can do" aspect to the movie it was more like here are 4 main characters and they happen to be women. You could've kept the same script and used men and it would've been the same movie.
They did that.

30+ years ago.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Look, I admit I have no prob with what I assume happened in this movie (again, I haven't seen it, so I cannot argue specifically on this example). I do, however, have a problem where jokes about men are OK but jokes about women are not. Jokes about whites are OK while jokes about blacks are not. Jokes about Christians are fine, but jokes about Jews or Muslims are off limits.

I like a good "take my wife, please" joke. I also think it humous when jokes are made about men's obsession with sports and boobs. Give me a good "A priest, a rabbi and an imam walked into a bar..." joke any day of the week.

My group IS sometimes the target. So what? They have no POWER to effect my life in any meaningful way.

So outside of me whining about the joke not being fair or funny, there's no IMPACT.

Are some jokes about men these days low hanging fruit? Absolutely. But so are sight gags about big tits, and yet we still do those all the time.

Let's be honest here. White men have had the score evened up just a little bit, and we're whining about it.

Meh. It's a bad look. Again, no power over our lives. None. Zip, zilch, nada.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

just a devils advocate here... But past movies and tv have all been very racist and chauvinistic, but we look at those shows and movies and we allow it because it was the past and it was accepted back then, but now when it happens the other way it is a double standard??

Let the dogs get there day, now that it is accepted... and in the near future it will be seen just like the other past shows and movies... Being outraged over the double standard is kind of a double standard in itself...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just a devils advocate here... But past movies and tv have all been very racist and chauvinistic, but we look at those shows and movies and we allow it because it was the past and it was accepted back then, but now when it happens the other way it is a double standard??

Let the dogs get there day, now that it is accepted... and in the near future it will be seen just like the other past shows and movies... Being outraged over the double standard is kind of a double standard in itself...
I agree that it should be OK. The double standard I refer to is the fact feminists protest with one hand while making a movie like this with the other.

And before anyone claims there was no "girl-power" intent here, remember this image...

tdy_tren_ghostbusters_150826.today-inline-vid-featured-desktop.jpg

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that it should be OK. The double standard I refer to is the fact feminists protest with one hand while making a movie like this with the other.

And before anyone claims there was no "girl-power" intent here, remember this image...

View attachment 138326

I understand, but again, that is because they are strong at this moment in time...

Honestly, i know double standards are annoying and BS, but i don't see a way for the equality that they strive for without it...