• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Get to know Patriots new starting QB Jimmy Garoppolo

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PLAYER LOWDOWN
COMBINE RESULTS
40 YD 20 YD 10 YD 225 BENCH VERTICAL JUMP BROAD SHUTTLE 3-CONE DRILL
4.94 2.84 1.78 - 30 1/2 9'2" 4.26 7.04
WORKOUT RESULTS
40 YD 20 YD 10 YD 225 BENCH VERTICAL JUMP BROAD SHUTTLE 3-CONE DRILL
- - - - - - - -
STRENGTHS WEAKNESSES
STRENGTHS: Good, not great, height, body type and hand size. Better than adequate arm strength with a snap release that produces some juice. Live arm with his experience coming from a pass-happy offense.

Excellent passing vision with quick eyes to scan and a quick, natural delivery. Smart and executes the offense well. Quick intellectual process on the football field. Above average timing with little unnecessary movements and very good pace in his set-up.

Quick feet to evade pressure with the pocket mobility to move his lower body with his eyes focused downfield. Gets "happy feet" at times, but shows the ability to reset. Very good touch and overall placement with improved accuracy to all levels of the field throughout his career.

Level-headed and always under control with a strong leadership presence. Confident thrower and short memory. Elite career production as a four-year starter at the FCS level.

WEAKNESSES: Lack of elite velocity will show on some NFL throws. Needs to continue to improve his decision-making and not allow pressure to severely alter his process. Bad habit of forcing throws in small windows. Lower-than-ideal release point with an almost side-arm motion.

Needs to get his feet under control on a consistent basis and regularly step into his throws. Must continue and develop his pocket awareness and internal clock to feel pressure. Holds the ball too long at times and will take unnecessary hits.

Experience is in a FCS spread, shotgun attack; needs to become more acclimated with under-center snaps.

COMPARES TO: Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys - The comparison goes beyond coming from the same college program. Both lack elite physical skills, but are productive due to their timing, smarts and quick release to get the ball out.

--Dane Brugler

PLAYER OVERVIEW
A quarterback prospect who isn't as well-known in a class full of marquee names, Garoppolo continued to generate buzz in NFL circles as he broke all of Tony Romo's career school records, as well as all of the Ohio Valley Conference passing records.

Garoppolo's career included a record-breaking senior season that led to the 2013 Walter Payton Award after throwing for 5,050 yards and 53 touchdowns. He recorded 11 300-plus-yard games in 2013, and five with 400-plus while throwing just nine interceptions in 568 attempts. He was also named first team FCS All-American by the Associated Press.

Garoppolo leaves the college ranks with 13,156 passing yards and 118 passing touchdowns in his career.

Garoppolo is much more than a funny looking last name. He isn't the biggest and lacks a huge arm, but he has an above average understanding of offensive football and uses his quick eyes and touch to push the ball downfield.

He grades as a top 100 prospect for several NFL scouts, and continued to rise during the pre-draft circuit do to a strong week at the Senior Bowl that turned into an invitation to the combine.

Garoppolo can find receivers and fire the ball on target faster than you can say his name. Lighting release and frozen rope medium distance sideline passes are reminiscent of Dan Marino's lasers. This despite concerns about his size, short arms and small hands.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for the ladies, and @cerealboi

5f628147cb279d985fd5b82abfded55c.jpg

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jimmy knows the boston media

usa-today-7957331.0.0.jpg

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I've seen of him in the preseason he seems better than Mallett. It's hard to say if he can go through his progressions like a quality starter since he hasn't used more than 2 reads from the time I've seen him play. I think he will do okay but NE will probably need to lean on the run game a little more than they're used to.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually wanted either Garoppolo or Mettenberger in the draft back in 2014. Was pissed when we didn't draft a QB in the 2nd round. Knew as soon as Belichick drafted Garoppolo my instincts were right. I think he will be good sure he might struggle some at first but i think he will turn out to be a keeper. I get the feeling somewhere down the line things might end up eventually coming down to Garoppolo and Brady in 2017 a situation that could be similar to Favre/Rodgers. Just a gut feeling. Garoppolo will end up much better than Mallet and be a keeper.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not really
I've already withstood the attention seeking, shock value substance for weeks on end with very little input. Mindless shit is just that

but hey...your 58 posts knows whats what so what the hell do I know

Tgann69

tOffficial Avi Welcher
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing Gisele has already "gotten to know him".
and ur boy Strongo has that Galloping chicken fat-head above his bed or on his hope-chest. He says Jimmy is dreamy.

pfft!

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and ur boy Strongo has that Galloping chicken fat-head above his bed or on his hope-chest. He says Jimmy is dreamy.

pfft!

I saw him first!

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

pfft!

You're welcome for my teaching you "Galloping Chicken".

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing Gisele has already "gotten to know him".

I said after Brady's laughable performance in the SB that she'd dump him within 24 months. Now that he's basically Lance Armstrong, I reduce that to 18 months.

The Patriots just upgraded at QB.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually wanted either Garoppolo or Mettenberger in the draft back in 2014. Was pissed when we didn't draft a QB in the 2nd round. Knew as soon as Belichick drafted Garoppolo my instincts were right. I think he will be good sure he might struggle some at first but i think he will turn out to be a keeper. I get the feeling somewhere down the line things might end up eventually coming down to Garoppolo and Brady in 2017 a situation that could be similar to Favre/Rodgers. Just a gut feeling. Garoppolo will end up much better than Mallet and be a keeper.

Never...BB will cut bait with Brady as soon as next yr. He needs that 1st rd pick back. If Jimmy can win, bye, bye Brady. Looking forward to it to be honest. He will struggle for sure, but he should learn quick vs those tough Def in the AFCE.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never...BB will cut bait with Brady as soon as next yr. He needs that 1st rd pick back. If Jimmy can win, bye, bye Brady. Looking forward to it to be honest. He will struggle for sure, but he should learn quick vs those tough Def in the AFCE.

Zero doubt in my mind BB's two favorite words in the world right now are Jimmy Garoppolo.

Gameplanning for Brady's severely diminished skills that relied on cheating must have been a fuckin nightmare.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
look how happy we were when jimmy got picked

patriots-fans-react-to-jimmy-garoppolo-pick.gif