• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GDT Champs @ Snakes 6/15

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Twitter Feed:

extrabaggs Andrew Baggarly:

Bill Hall said in 30-min session w/Bam Bam, he found something in his swing he'd been missing for three years.

Maybe he can put it where ever he did in 2006.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what's the scoop on Hembree? Starter/reliever?

The current team *knocks wood* is well stocked in both

He's a quick learner. Big fastball (95-100) and a power slider, he's also working on a split/change. As stated, he's moving quickly. Could be ready for a Hold-Hold-Save role next year and should be pushing Weez in a couple years.

He's like Daniel Bard and Wilson is like Papelbon. That's kinda how I see this situation evolving.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
From Baggs:

CBS Sports today linked the Giants to the Texas Rangers, and the report got it half right. According to my sources, the Giants asked about Yorvit Torrealba, not Taylor Teagarden. But Texas wanted Santiago Casilla, and offered no relief on the $3.25 million Torrealba would make next season.

Filo's favorite player.

Texas wanted Santiago Casilla, and offered no relief on the $3.25 million Torrealba would make next season.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
from baggs:

Freddy Sanchez was examined by Dr. Gary Waslewski and received a second opinion on his right shoulder. Waslewski concurred with the Giants medical staff, so Sanchez will not undergo surgery. He’ll rest and rehab the shoulder for six weeks, then reevaluate whether surgery is needed or if he can try to play again this season.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from baggs:

Freddy Sanchez was examined by Dr. Gary Waslewski and received a second opinion on his right shoulder. Waslewski concurred with the Giants medical staff, so Sanchez will not undergo surgery. He’ll rest and rehab the shoulder for six weeks, then reevaluate whether surgery is needed or if he can try to play again this season.

I saw this last night and got a bit confused...

I thought he had an opinion that said he NEEDED surgery and was looking for an opinion that said he did not...

Either way, a slight sliver of hope...

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw this last night and got a bit confused...

I thought he had an opinion that said he NEEDED surgery and was looking for an opinion that said he did not...

Either way, a slight sliver of hope...

My sliver of hope was watching Hall last night. One game, obviously, but maybe he's not just a garbage heap castoff.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Baggs:

CBS Sports today linked the Giants to the Texas Rangers, and the report got it half right. According to my sources, the Giants asked about Yorvit Torrealba, not Taylor Teagarden. But Texas wanted Santiago Casilla, and offered no relief on the $3.25 million Torrealba would make next season.

Filo's favorite player.

Texas wanted Santiago Casilla, and offered no relief on the $3.25 million Torrealba would make next season.

lol, nice catch gp. Sometimes I forget how vocal I can be about players I don't like. :noidea:

TBH though, I'd probably like him if he were on the Giants again. I just didn't like how fired up/inspired he played against the Giants. Not to mention whether it was with the Rox or the Pads, he always seemed to kill us. He and Heath Bell rubbed me the wrong way with their overzealous celebration after a victory over the Giants. I'm kind of old school though as I used to pitch (and didn't like getting shown up) and a hockey player.....so I guess things like that I have a long memory for.

I'll give Torrealba credit though, over the years, he's turned himself into a good player.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
lol, nice catch gp. Sometimes I forget how vocal I can be about players I don't like. :noidea:

TBH though, I'd probably like him if he were on the Giants again. I just didn't like how fired up/inspired he played against the Giants. Not to mention whether it was with the Rox or the Pads, he always seemed to kill us. He and Heath Bell rubbed me the wrong way with their overzealous celebration after a victory over the Giants. I'm kind of old school though as I used to pitch (and didn't like getting shown up) and a hockey player.....so I guess things like that I have a long memory for.

I'll give Torrealba credit though, over the years, he's turned himself into a good player.

Yeah, I always like Torrealba. But he has shown himself to be a bit of a hotdog. That "overzealous celebration" got a mention in "A Band of Misfits". The coaches and some players saw it as a bit over the top too.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It is a bit of a mystery as to why the Giants would not trade a middle reliever for Torrealba, they'll need to create roster space for Zito soon. But Sabean has never been much of a Torrealba fan, so maybe it's the fact that they definitely won't want him around in 2012.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a bit of a mystery as to why the Giants would not trade a middle reliever for Torrealba, they'll need to create roster space for Zito soon. But Sabean has never been much of a Torrealba fan, so maybe it's the fact that they definitely won't want him around in 2012.

That must be it, because on the surface, I like that trade. Having Torrealba on the roster next year would be great as he could start 25%+ and help keep Buster fresh. 3.25M is darn near free in today's baseball economy.

And giving up Casilla sucks, but we got Kroon, Edlefsen and Runz in the minors who can easily step in.

Maybe they are playing hard-to-get so they can get a B/C prospect thrown in?

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That must be it, because on the surface, I like that trade. Having Torrealba on the roster next year would be great as he could start 25%+ and help keep Buster fresh. 3.25M is darn near free in today's baseball economy.

And giving up Casilla sucks, but we got Kroon, Edlefsen and Runz in the minors who can easily step in.

Maybe they are playing hard-to-get so they can get a B/C prospect thrown in?

Yeah, on the surface this trade makes sense. And the money alone can't be the hold up.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, on the surface this trade makes sense. And the money alone can't be the hold up.

Why not? By my count, they have $73MM committed to next year to seven guys: Zito, RoRo, Huff, Cain, Weez, Freddy, and Affeldt's buyout. Add in Timmy ($20), Chez ($8), Torres ($4), Lopez ($3), RamRam ($2), Vogey ($3), Pablo ($4), and Romo ($1) and you've got $118MM with 12 spots to fill on the roster.

A lot of those will be cheap contracts: Nate, Buster, Bum, Belt, Runzler, Crawford, maybe Neal, maybe Ford, maybe Hector Sanchez, maybe Brown, maybe Burriss.

But then you've still got to fill a couple of spots and you're over $120MM already.

C: Posey
1b: Huff
2b: Freddy
SS: Crawford
3b: Panda
OF: Torres, Belt, Neal
SP: Tim, Chez, Cain, Bum, Vogs
RP: Weez, Romo, Lopez, RamRam, Casilla, Runzler, Zito

5 more spots to fill. Do you sign Ross? $8MM. Fonty? $2MM. Nate? $1-2MM.

I don't think we can afford $3.25MM for a backup catcher, unless we're going to expand the budget pretty significantly.

Last edited by a moderator:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not? By my count, they have $73MM committed to next year to seven guys: Zito, RoRo, Huff, Cain, Weez, Freddy, and Affeldt's buyout. Add in Timmy ($20), Chez ($8), Torres ($4), Lopez ($3), RamRam ($2), Vogey ($3), Pablo ($4), and Romo ($1) and you've got $118MM with 12 spots to fill on the roster.

A lot of those will be cheap contracts: Nate, Buster, Bum, Belt, Runzler, Crawford, maybe Neal, maybe Ford, maybe Hector Sanchez, maybe Brown, maybe Burriss.

But then you've still got to fill a couple of spots and you're over $120MM already.

C: Posey
1b: Huff
2b: Freddy
SS: Crawford
3b: Panda
OF: Torres, Belt, Neal
SP: Tim, Chez, Cain, Bum, Vogs
RP: Weez, Romo, Lopez, RamRam, Casilla, Runzler, Zito

5 more spots to fill. Do you sign Ross? $8MM. Fonty? $2MM. Nate? $1-2MM.

I don't think we can afford $3.25MM for a backup catcher, unless we're going to expand the budget pretty significantly.

You must have this saved somewhere. You explain this so many times. I'm thinking Ross is gone, Belt plays LF/RF in 2012 and in 2013 Belt moves to 1B, Peguero and Brown man the OF after Huff leaves.

Also, Lopez will be a free agent and I know there will be teams out there willing to give him more than $3 million and RamRam made 2 this year, I'd expect a raise, even for a reliever.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You must have this saved somewhere. You explain this so many times. I'm thinking Ross is gone, Belt plays LF/RF in 2012 and in 2013 Belt moves to 1B, Peguero and Brown man the OF after Huff leaves.

Also, Lopez will be a free agent and I know there will be teams out there willing to give him more than $3 million and RamRam made 2 this year, I'd expect a raise, even for a reliever.

I also do not expect Vogey back. He would be GREAT, but you HAVE to put Zito back in the rotation (unless you DFA him, but that ain't happ'n'n). Vogey will go elsewhere and get paid decent money to regress.

I agree that the finances force Boss out the door. We have a bunch of OFers in the minors who are ready to play, and Ross' paycheck is simply too high. I like him, but he is a casualty.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also do not expect Vogey back. He would be GREAT, but you HAVE to put Zito back in the rotation (unless you DFA him, but that ain't happ'n'n). Vogey will go elsewhere and get paid decent money to regress.

I agree that the finances force Boss out the door. We have a bunch of OFers in the minors who are ready to play, and Ross' paycheck is simply too high. I like him, but he is a casualty.

I generally agree re: Ross but maybe some of the minors OFs get traded to help us this year?

Also, my .02 on Lopez is you have to pay to keep him, whatever his market rate is. Ramirez is less important.

If Vogelsong keeps this up all year, do they take a chance and deal Sanchez for a bat in the offseason, keep Vogs?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I generally agree re: Ross but maybe some of the minors OFs get traded to help us this year?

Also, my .02 on Lopez is you have to pay to keep him, whatever his market rate is. Ramirez is less important.

If Vogelsong keeps this up all year, do they take a chance and deal Sanchez for a bat in the offseason, keep Vogs?

Interesting idea, but Voges is 33, so can he hold the spot long enough for Verdugo, Surkamp or Wheeler to be ready?

Surkamp MAY be ready for a #5 spot next year, but he is beginning to show some injury issues (was just placed on the DL yesterday, following his DL stint late last season). Verdugo may be ready by mid/late '12, but that is pushing. Wheeler should be ready mind/late '13.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, Is Voges an Arb eligible player, or a FA?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

RamRam may be gone, he's in his 3rd year of arbitration and should get around $4 million. With the guys we have in the minors it's just too much money that we could use else where (like on Lopez).

This will be an interesting situation with Volgelsong since he's arbitartion eligible. There might be a chance they trade Sanchez, probably the most serious it's ever been. I'd say, if they extend Lincecum and Cain, Sanchez will be gone.