• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 7/27 Brew @ Bum

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be pointless.

Keep Pence and at least get value out of Cutch

Agreed. He’s not signing here next year anyway, not with our over priced under performing payroll. He’s been a good Giant, but far less productive than we need him to be. He’s been far from Clutch in too many situations.

The positive spin is that the Giants are losing close games, and not getting blown out. And they are playing really good teams. A’s are hot, Mariners are really good, Brewers we’re leading their division until recently.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaw can hit 30 hr in Sacto and they won’t call him up because he strikes out too much. Baseball has changed, and the Giants are living in the last decade.

Trade Cutch, recall Mac to play RF everyday. Legacy DL Pence and call up Shaw to play LF, platooning with Gorkys.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. He’s not signing here next year anyway, not with our over priced under performing payroll. He’s been a good Giant, but far less productive than we need him to be. He’s been far from Clutch in too many situations.

The positive spin is that the Giants are losing close games, and not getting blown out. And they are playing really good teams. A’s are hot, Mariners are really good, Brewers we’re leading their division until recently.

Unfortunately, this is how the team is going to spin a quiet/buyers deadline.... while ignoring the fact that in the playoffs you only play good teams.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
F'ing baseball doGs.
I keep thinking back to how diff this season could have been if Mac hadn't rammed his head into that wall. No guarantees of course, but it sure looked like he could have had a 25-30 HR season and that would have made all diff in the world.

Edit: for sp. oops

Last edited:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
F'ing baseball doGs.
I keep thinking back to how diff this season could have been if Mac hadn't rammed his head into that wall. No gaurantees of course, but it sure looked like he could have had a 25-30 HR season and that would have made all diff in the world.

Yeap. I think about this often. I'm sure Mac does too. But he's starting to crush it in AAA lately. Maybe he's getting back to where he was.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
F'ing baseball doGs.
I keep thinking back to how diff this season could have been if Mac hadn't rammed his head into that wall. No guarantees of course, but it sure looked like he could have had a 25-30 HR season and that would have made all diff in the world.

Edit: for sp. oops
And hopefully they get rid of the kale bar in center and put the bullpens there instead. Having them on the field is stupid. They came up with the lie about it being intentional and they have put a few extra dollars in sales above fixing it. And in doing so, they potentially cost at least this season, and injured how many other players?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And hopefully they get rid of the kale bar in center and put the bullpens there instead. Having them on the field is stupid. They came up with the lie about it being intentional and they have put a few extra dollars in sales above fixing it. And in doing so, they potentially cost at least this season, and injured how many other players?

Fitting that once Pence moves on they take out the kale garden gimmick

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the park, and I hate Fitz, but...

Is he potentially correct that it is time to close off Triples Ally? Is this park in the hitters heads?

I hate that I am even considering this, but there has to be SOME reason for this pitiful hitting display.
I'm starting to question their conditioning. This team has fizzled twice in the past three years around the half way mark of the season. Think about it, in 2016 they were the best team in baseball for the 1st half. Then they crash spectacularly. This year, they had the best offense in the NL West (and about right in the middle of the pack in the league) going into June. Now, the offense looks like they all came in Padre uniforms (which is an insult to the Padres). Why can they not play out a full season of baseball at a somewhat decent clip?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting to question their conditioning. This team has fizzled twice in the past three years around the half way mark of the season. Think about it, in 2016 they were the best team in baseball for the 1st half. Then they crash spectacularly. This year, they had the best offense in the NL West (and about right in the middle of the pack in the league) going into June. Now, the offense looks like they all came in Padre uniforms (which is an insult to the Padres). Why can they not play out a full season of baseball at a somewhat decent clip?
Interesting thought, but how does that explain last year? If last year didn’t exist, your pattern makes more sense.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting thought, but how does that explain last year? If last year didn’t exist, your pattern makes more sense.
Last year was the psychological result of that poor conditioning. Same team, essentially, as the first half of 2016 but the 2nd half got so stuck in their heads that they expected poor results. With just some tweaks, that same team was brought back for 2018 as well, but they got amped up on the new guys and wanted to clear 2017 from their memory.
I have no way to prove any of this. It is all pure speculation. Just trying to understand what has happened the past few years.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year was the psychological result of that poor conditioning. Same team, essentially, as the first half of 2016 but the 2nd half got so stuck in their heads that they expected poor results. With just some tweaks, that same team was brought back for 2018 as well, but they got amped up on the new guys and wanted to clear 2017 from their memory.
I have no way to prove any of this. It is all pure speculation. Just trying to understand what has happened the past few years.
That’s all any of do ever. Totally understood.

Look, going the old route had the possibility of being the new “moneyball”. If the team had to try to win this year, I don’t really fault the thought process. It just didn’t work out.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s all any of do ever. Totally understood.

Look, going the old route had the possibility of being the new “moneyball”. If the team had to try to win this year, I don’t really fault the thought process. It just didn’t work out.

Speaking of Moneyball, some radio speculation about Sabean's age, and maybe his retirement being 'encouraged'. Replacement? Mr. Billy Beane...who famously did not want to leave the Bay Area all those years ago. So...don't!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Moneyball, some radio speculation about Sabean's age, and maybe his retirement being 'encouraged'. Replacement? Mr. Billy Beane...who famously did not want to leave the Bay Area all those years ago. So...don't!
I heard the “rumor” about a month or so ago.

Possible, but I don’t see it happening.

Is the sell sell sell strategy his, or a directive from above? Would he be able to opporate in an org like the Giants, that values building relationships with players?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard the “rumor” about a month or so ago.

Possible, but I don’t see it happening.

Is the sell sell sell strategy his, or a directive from above? Would he be able to opporate in an org like the Giants, that values building relationships with players?
Maybe he'd like to try something new, with an actual budget. I'd love it.