• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GDT Champs @ Knaves 8/18

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Retarded question because I don't know dick about baseball...

Why isn't Belt playing?

Bochy's reasoning is that he wants more right-handed bats against a left-handed pitcher. I haven't looked at Belt's splits recently, but he might be having trouble with left-handed pitching. I would like to see him play, but most players get a day or two off per week, so it might as well be against a lefty.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Retarded question because I don't know dick about baseball...

Why isn't Belt playing?

I'm with you slim. :noidea:

Not sure experts could provide a decent answer

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
close one. Minor wants that inside corner

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Second time Nate has worked the 3-2 count.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bochy's reasoning is that he wants more right-handed bats against a left-handed pitcher. I haven't looked at Belt's splits recently, but he might be having trouble with left-handed pitching. I would like to see him play, but most players get a day or two off per week, so it might as well be against a lefty.

but Heath's response is pretty sound.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bochy manages pretty closely to what the book says you should do. And interestingly the book correlates well with what stats say actually happens. Not surprising, since the book is based on a 100 years of direct observation.

Anyway here is what the stats say. First two matrices are the relevant ones.

Thanks, gp. I would still like to see some thinking outside of the box, and I believe some managers would take that risk with this line-up.

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thanks for the answer. How drastic is the difference of in batting average for facing an oppositely handed pitcher? I didn't know it was enough to bench a guy that was looking pretty good.

I can't imagine some of the other guys in this line up will do much better. Hope I'm wrong though.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would never bunt w/ 2 strikes and Nobody out in the 1st Inning

Why take the chance of missing it or fouling it off and wasting the at bat , swing away

Under normal circumstances, I completely agree, and gp's stats support the conventional wisdom. This line-up is just awful, and I am of the opinion that, in this case, it would have been a necessary risk. Not that it matters because he struck out anyway, but that is neither here nor there. If Freddie Sanchez were up there, I would certainly say swing away, and he would've gotten the same bogus strike call and struck out, too. Or maybe he would've gotten the original bunt down. Either way, I'd like to see some risks, especially with Timmy on the mound. Get him a run!

Freeport 22

The Chosen One
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the answer. How drastic is the difference of in batting average for facing an oppositely handed pitcher? I didn't know it was enough to bench a guy that was looking pretty good.

I can't imagine some of the other guys in this line up will do much better. Hope I'm wrong though.

Rowand is hitting .306 vs LHP and only .212 vs RHP

Rowand always plays vs LHP ,

I would still rather see Belt , 6-20 vs LHP , .300

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now Tommy will get 2 straight K's and the Braves will get no runs. Bourn had to stay unfortunately for my team