• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GDT (63) - 3/1 Sabres at Sharks - 7:30PM

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Also, Of course there is more than just scoring... there is also preventing goals. The sharks are respectable at that and I may have underestimated the value of sluglass in that regard. That said, they are basically no better defensively this year than last. (2.49 vs. 2.54 GAA). But scoring is way down (2.73 vs. 2.96 GFA)... that's 20 goals less over the course of the year. To win you have to score more than you give up. You can do that by giving up less or scoring more. The sharks are about the same giving up, but scoring far less, so while scoring isnt everything, it's still obviously crucial.

I did not count mcginn since he is gone. Do you think galiardi is better than mcginn? At this point, perhaps they are even, but I fail to see how galiardi is some kind of significant upgrade particularly since he has to learn a whole new system and create chemistry in one month. Winnik, too, works hard, but is a 4th liner and wont help scoring depth.

Simply put, I don't understand how this sharks team is going to score enough to win in the PO's. They arent the best defensive team in the league nor the most hard working and their PK sucks, so they arent going to march throughout the PO's winning a ton of 1-0 and 2-1 games. They have to be able to score 3+ regularly, and with this current roster, I just dont see where the 3 or 4 goals per game are going to come from when they have basically 3 total players who will score 20 goals this season?

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
goal scoring is likely down due to Havlat being out of the line up, just saying. He more then likely would be close to 20 by now had he not been hurt, not to mention other players like I dont know Ryane Worthless Clowe would likely have better numbers too

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marleau and Thornton put together their most complete seasons last year and have been even better this year.

Thornton's all around game is better now than it ever has been but only when he plays it. IMO his consistency has been lacking severely this year. He's had too many games this year where he's been ineffective and there's even been a couple where the Sharks would have been better off without him. I expect better from the captain. He's not gonna have his A game every game and I don't expect that, but I would like to see more consistency from him before I agree that Thornton is having a better season this year than last year.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Also, Of course there is more than just scoring... there is also preventing goals. The sharks are respectable at that and I may have underestimated the value of sluglass in that regard. That said, they are basically no better defensively this year than last. (2.49 vs. 2.54 GAA). But scoring is way down (2.73 vs. 2.96 GFA)... that's 20 goals less over the course of the year. To win you have to score more than you give up. You can do that by giving up less or scoring more. The sharks are about the same giving up, but scoring far less, so while scoring isnt everything, it's still obviously crucial.

I did not count mcginn since he is gone. Do you think galiardi is better than mcginn? At this point, perhaps they are even, but I fail to see how galiardi is some kind of significant upgrade particularly since he has to learn a whole new system and create chemistry in one month. Winnik, too, works hard, but is a 4th liner and wont help scoring depth.

Simply put, I don't understand how this sharks team is going to score enough to win in the PO's. They arent the best defensive team in the league nor the most hard working and their PK sucks, so they arent going to march throughout the PO's winning a ton of 1-0 and 2-1 games. They have to be able to score 3+ regularly, and with this current roster, I just dont see where the 3 or 4 goals per game are going to come from when they have basically 3 total players who will score 20 goals this season?

You keep saying their PK sucks but since Jan 1, the approx time the coaches moved to a very dumbed down and simplistic 1-1-2 set up, it's something like 82% which middle of the league. Now they've added Moore, Winnik, and Galiardi who are all good to great PK players.

When healthy the Sharks have 7 players in the line up with the ability to score 20 goals or more playing anywhere form the 1st to the 3rd lines and then Moore who is really close to that. The Sharks have more than enough offensive ability to compete if they can find and stick with complete line combos and allow the players to get some chemistry.

Galiardi is a better skater than McGinn, he sees the ice better, he's light years ahead in his own zone, he's much better on the forecheck and forcing turnovers, and he's a better passer/playmaker than McGinn. McGinn will throw the body more and has a better shot. Goal scoring they are about even but Galiardi is much better at creating offensive oppertunities and over the course of a season that will result in more team scoring.

Offensively Winnik doesn't belong on the 2nd line where the coaches are currently using him. IMO he's a lower teir 3rd liner in that regard. However, I do see what the coaching staff was going for buy putting him there and dropping Pavelski to that wing. They sacrificed some offense to put together the Sharks three best defensive forwards and created maybe one of the best shutdown lines in the league. They were matched up against the Hartnell-Giroux-Jagr line at ES and shut them down limiting that trio to just 3 SOG and zero scoring chances. Then they were matched up against the Roy-Pominville-Vanek line and completely shut them down offensively. If those three are together again today expect them to be matched up against the Blues top line.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Thornton's all around game is better now than it ever has been but only when he plays it. IMO his consistency has been lacking severely this year. He's had too many games this year where he's been ineffective and there's even been a couple where the Sharks would have been better off without him. I expect better from the captain. He's not gonna have his A game every game and I don't expect that, but I would like to see more consistency from him before I agree that Thornton is having a better season this year than last year.

Offensively, yes, he's been inconsistant at times but his defensive play has been very steady both last year and this. There have been a some occasions that he's looked very lazy in the offensive zone but there's only been one, maybe two, times this year where I thought he didn't put 110% effort into a backcheck or his defensive duties. I'll take that any day over the Thornton who scores 100+ points but is happy to give up odd man rushes and goes for a line change instead of putting any effort into backchecking or defense.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Offensively, yes, he's been inconsistant at times but his defensive play has been very steady both last year and this. There have been a some occasions that he's looked very lazy in the offensive zone but there's only been one, maybe two, times this year where I thought he didn't put 110% effort into a backcheck or his defensive duties. I'll take that any day over the Thornton who scores 100+ points but is happy to give up odd man rushes and goes for a line change instead of putting any effort into backchecking or defense.

i havent seen that once this season