• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GDT (28)- Dec 13th Sharks @ Avs 6pm

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about that... while I agree that the main issue isn't coaching, Babcock and Tippett are both MUCH better coaches than McLellan, IMO.

As for this game... I got nothing useful to say/add... just :L all around.

Dougie will never do it and it may be the only time I agree with him but there's going to be people who start calling for McLellan's head here soon... a bunch of fans already are.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about that... while I agree that the main issue isn't coaching, Babcock and Tippett are both MUCH better coaches than McLellan, IMO.

As for this game... I got nothing useful to say/add... just :L all around.

Dougie will never do it and it may be the only time I agree with him but there's going to be people who start calling for McLellan's head here soon... a bunch of fans already are.

Oh hell yeah, Babcock and Tippett are light years ahead of McLellan, I just don't think that either of them would push the Sharks over the hump in the playoffs.

Once again, I'm not saying TMac has done a good job, I'm just saying I don't trust these players at all when it matters most. Randy Carlyle looked like a genius when he had two HOF defensemen.....when he didn't.....not so much. Look at the Ducks and Sharks rosters. They are eerily similar. Sharks have a little more depth on defense, but other than that, they're very, very close.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotcha, filo... yeah, can't disagree much with all that. I (mostly) blame the players too.

Oh well, let's see how these next home games go to close out the month but it can get a lot uglier quickly.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Oh hell yeah, Babcock and Tippett are light years ahead of McLellan, I just don't think that either of them would push the Sharks over the hump in the playoffs.

Once again, I'm not saying TMac has done a good job, I'm just saying I don't trust these players at all when it matters most. Randy Carlyle looked like a genius when he had two HOF defensemen.....when he didn't.....not so much. Look at the Ducks and Sharks rosters. They are eerily similar. Sharks have a little more depth on defense, but other than that, they're very, very close.

At this point it appears to be both coaching and the mix of players. The team just doesn't appear to have the make up of players to win in the PO's and it certainly doesn't look like they have the coaching that can take them that far. As it stands I don't think they can only get away with firing McLellan if a move is made. They'd have to rid themselves of the assistants as well. You don't often see a house cleaning like that during the season.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

sharks have far more depth both on O and D. the ducks have the big 3 and teemu but blake and saku are ooollllddd and they have zero after that. They also have really shitastic defense. Todd has a way better roster with his top 6 and his top 2 D are massively better. The ducks top 2 D in ice time are bouchemin and fowler, a career 2nd pairing dman and a 19 year old. Tough to win with that.

The sharks need a Atanley cup winning coach (as the head coach not assistant) with a mean streak. Tortorella is the kind of guy I would like. I dunno who is better than todd who is available right now, which is the only reservation I would have with firing him at this moment. However, carlyle could be worthwhile. He clearly won on the back of his 2 Dmen, but remember the amazingly good defensive 3rd line they had with pahlsson-R. nieds- moen who was so awesome. That was perfect coaching. If they do fire tmac, I would go for carlyle. I just think he has very little to work with in anaheim and I dont think it's his fault entirely.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd feel bad for McLellan because he's a cool dude and all but it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to see that the players have tuned him out.

The assistant coaches being gone wouldn't be a big deal... they both are pretty "meh", aren't they?

My problem is... I have no idea who you replace McLellan with a this point... I hate Carlyle and Murray and pretty much anyone else available who's been let go somewhere else. It'd have to be some new blood/AHL coach/someone most people never heard of? /shrug

SuperFlyer13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See Filo, these are the flash's I was talking about. Sure keeps me scratching my Noggin for sure.. Good game by the way...

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PS. The sooner the 'C' is slapped permanently on Clowe's jersey, the better. What the fuck is taking so long?

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sharks have far more depth both on O and D. the ducks have the big 3 and teemu but blake and saku are ooollllddd and they have zero after that. They also have really shitastic defense. Todd has a way better roster with his top 6 and his top 2 D are massively better. The ducks top 2 D in ice time are bouchemin and fowler, a career 2nd pairing dman and a 19 year old. Tough to win with that.

The sharks need a Atanley cup winning coach (as the head coach not assistant) with a mean streak. Tortorella is the kind of guy I would like. I dunno who is better than todd who is available right now, which is the only reservation I would have with firing him at this moment. However, carlyle could be worthwhile. He clearly won on the back of his 2 Dmen, but remember the amazingly good defensive 3rd line they had with pahlsson-R. nieds- moen who was so awesome. That was perfect coaching. If they do fire tmac, I would go for carlyle. I just think he has very little to work with in anaheim and I dont think it's his fault entirely.

I'd say both teams have about the same as far as top 6 forwards go, after that it's pretty much crap. Although Handzus is good.

Getzlaf > Thornton
Perry > Marleau (which really pains me to say as I LOATHE Perry, lol)
Ryan > Pavelski
Selanne > Clowe
Couture > Koivu
Havlat > Cogliano/Blake

On defense is where the Sharks have a noticeable advantage.

Goalies, obviously Hiller is struggling since his vertigo stint. But if he was on the same trajectory as he was just like he was before his injury, I bet you the Sharks and Ducks would have identical records. Also, in my humble opinion, if you switch the groups of forwards from the Ducks to the Sharks, I think the Sharks are in first place in our division by a couple of wins.

Last edited by a moderator:

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Of course, I still expect a trade first. The team is faltering right now, but its only game 28 and DW will give the todd everything he needs to win before canning him. That includes a solid third line threat via trade. Ruutu or jokinen seem most likely though I'm sure dougie could pull a feather out of his hat again and land an unexpected player.

the one good thing about losing is that it sure makes the rumor mill light up :-)

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'd say both teams have about the same as far as top 6 forwards go, after that it's pretty much crap. Although Handzus is good.

Getzlaf > Thornton
Perry > Marleau (which really pains me to say as I LOATHE Perry, lol)
Ryan > Pavelski
Selanne > Clowe
Couture > Koivu
Havlat > Cogliano/Blake

On defense is where the Sharks have a noticeable advantage.

Goalies, obviously Hiller is struggling since his vertigo stint. But if he was on the same trajectory as he was just like he was before his injury, I bet you the Sharks and Ducks would have identical records. Also, in my humble opinion, if you switch the groups of forwards from the Ducks to the Sharks, I think the Sharks are in first place in our division by a couple of wins.

In the regular season, I dont think getzlaf is better than thornton. Obviously, perry is one of the top players in the entire league (MVP) as he does everything well, skate, pass, shoot, score, fight, you name it. However, Teemu-blake-koivu is a mile behind havlat-clowe-cooch and like you said, the D is not even close and the D is the most important position in the game, I would argue.

Handzus, by the way, has no goals in the last 25 games (none since the 3rd game of the year). He's made some nice plays and set up a few nice ones, but he hasnt been effective on the PK (nobody has) and for a 3rd line center, 0 goals in 25 games is bad no matter what.

The question is what the fuck is going on with havlat? over 200 career goals and averages 23 goals per year the last 3 years and 1 in 28 games here?

There are so many underproducers and guys playing below their career levels that you just gotta wonder. I think cooch has been the only guy to play consistently hard all year. He was the key in getting a point tonight and he works hard every single shift. How about giving him the C? Who says it has to be a vet. Toews and Crosby won cups as kiddie captains... who not cooch? he is the future of the forward crew, so I'd love to see him have the C and make the speeches that are needed.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not to be a picky bastard but aren't the Sharks currently 1-2 wins away from leading the division? So, like, they'd be just slightly better than they are? :p

That being said, I'm going to collapse in bed now.

You gents (and Vee if she's around lurking) have a good night.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah, the good news is that the pacific sucks this year. the quacks are among the worst in the league and arent likely to get better. The stars have a reallyt weak roster and are hanging on by a thread. The dogs also have a craptastic roster and no bryz so they too are simply surviving. Only LA has a roster that should compete with the sharks and god knows what the hell is going on there, but clearly murray was a total failure as they have a fair amount of talent. Maybe the doughty hold out was a problem, good ol' deano fucking over his team by being stupidly stingy with a star player (ahem, nabby, ahem). The disaster down there is deano more than anything.

The sharks should waltz to the division crown with their eyes closed based on how this season has gone so far with LA and the roster of the others. That's the upshot of this whole struggle.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Maybe deano is stupid enought to deal doughty given his big salary and struggles. I would love pavelski+demers+1st rounder in both 2012 and 13 for doughty. Can you imagine the D with Doughty, boyle, and Burns??? wow. Pavs is my boy, but he lacks speed and gets shut down late in the PO's by the top teams. He has a very tradable salary and LA is dead last in scoring and would surely be looking for help up front. There is likely still bad blood with doughty so who knows? I have a feeling that doughty would also jump start the offensive game too.

p.s.: I would trade any single forward on the sharks as a centerpiece for doughty if deano bit. stranger things have happened...

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
by the way, I'd love to see mcginn get a game with jumbo and thornton with pavelski on the 3rd line. Mcginn has been one of the most consistent players in the last couple weeks and the PP is 1 for 27 until he gets a shift. He is young and lit it up in jrs but was just not quite ready yet. Right now, he is playing physical, crashing the net, and doing everything right. He is quick and adds a nice snarl to a line with floaters like jumbo and heater. Pavs is cold right now, so why not? maybe the mcginn can emerge as a legit player and be a top 6 forward for free?

A man can dream...

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that a calmed down after watching that shit, I'm just wondering what the deal is with the Sharks. I sure hope somebody on the Sharks figures it out soon. I love to be a fly on the wall in Doug Wilson's office.

* ill try one more time with the GDT, but if they lose again, ill stop. I know they are no way close to Cmon's GDT, but I thought i'd try.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Now that a calmed down after watching that shit, I'm just wondering what the deal is with the Sharks. I sure hope somebody on the Sharks figures it out soon. I love to be a fly on the wall in Doug Wilson's office.

* ill try one more time with the GDT, but if they lose again, ill stop. I know they are no way close to Cmon's GDT, but I thought i'd try.

yeah, me too. Losing is always so much more interesting (not fun, but interesting) than winning. Dougie said that a big part of last year's running out of gas was the weak start. Well, cue the music. 28 games in last year, the sharks were 14-10-4. One point worse than this year's 15-10-3. If dougie is true to his word, he will move sooner rather than later. The question is who and for what?

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
how about downie for niity straight up? Salary is basically a wash? rollie the goalie has been terrible and garon not a whole lot better with tampa rating 27th in GAA. Niity is clearly excess in SJ. Downie has been awful for tampa this year with a team worst -14 and just 4 goals and 7 points.

However, Niity is no loss for SJ and downie adds some much needed grit along with the ability to put in some goals. he was also near a point per game player in the PO's last year as tampa also made it to the final 4. Downie could be the kind of player who lights a little fire under the sharks and would add that scoring depth that is lacking. I know he is a loose cannon and certainly not the type of player that dougie tends to go for, but worse case scenario, he gets buried in the minors or on the 4th line and the cap hit is a wash with niity.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the regular season, I dont think getzlaf is better than thornton. Obviously, perry is one of the top players in the entire league (MVP) as he does everything well, skate, pass, shoot, score, fight, you name it. However, Teemu-blake-koivu is a mile behind havlat-clowe-cooch and like you said, the D is not even close and the D is the most important position in the game, I would argue.

Handzus, by the way, has no goals in the last 25 games (none since the 3rd game of the year). He's made some nice plays and set up a few nice ones, but he hasnt been effective on the PK (nobody has) and for a 3rd line center, 0 goals in 25 games is bad no matter what.

The question is what the fuck is going on with havlat? over 200 career goals and averages 23 goals per year the last 3 years and 1 in 28 games here?

There are so many underproducers and guys playing below their career levels that you just gotta wonder. I think cooch has been the only guy to play consistently hard all year. He was the key in getting a point tonight and he works hard every single shift. How about giving him the C? Who says it has to be a vet. Toews and Crosby won cups as kiddie captains... who not cooch? he is the future of the forward crew, so I'd love to see him have the C and make the speeches that are needed.

True, but those players like Getzlaf, Perry and Teemu also are huge on the PP. None of our boys are very good on the PP anymore since their work ethic is getting close to non-existent. They also (with the exception of Teemu and the addition of Ryan) are much more physically dominant and intimidating. I don't think Jumbo intimidates anybody (except when he's working really hard, then he's a fucking beast) and Patty really only intimidates by speed. Neither play the body well.

You are right, Clowe-Couture-Havlat is light years above their second line, but Teemu is still much better than any of the players above (except for Couture's all around game and the fact that he plays a more important position).

I would love for Couture to have the "C" as well.....just because I think it would be a decent choice and it would also mean that Jumbo is off the team, lol. I just think Clowe is a more logical choice at this point, but I wouldn't be the least bit upset if Couture were.

Not to be a picky bastard but aren't the Sharks currently 1-2 wins away from leading the division? So, like, they'd be just slightly better than they are? :p

That being said, I'm going to collapse in bed now.

You gents (and Vee if she's around lurking) have a good night.

lol, you fuckface :D. That's kind of what I was saying though, if you switched their forwards with ours (there's not a huge difference), I think it would have an ever so slightly positive effect on our record (i.e. 3 or so more wins than currently).

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brent Burns is on pace for 27 points and Havlat is a complete non-factor. The coach can't decide who his 5/6th defensemen are. Our bottom 6 is nothing special. Fun times.