• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gay traded to Toronto

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone knew he was getting traded. Now we know his destination.

Raps get: Gay, Hamed Haddadi

Grizz get: Tayshaun Prince, Austin Daye, Ed Davis

Pistons get: Jose Calderon

Thoughts?

At first glance you think the Raps won this trade easily. I'm not so sure. They might not be done dealing because I don't think Gay fits in along that perimeter with Derozan and Ross.

The Grizz didn't do too bad. They're in full money saving mode now. They had a puncher's chance at the Finals before they started trading, but now I think they're out of it. Still, Prince can give you about 60 to 70% of what Gay gave for a lot less money and Davis is a nice young player.

And I'm not sure why the Pistons got involved other than I assume to save cap space when Calderon's deal expires at the end of the season

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya the Pistons part I dont really get. Must be to save some money although I dont know what Daye and Prince were making.

Raptors are not done dealing. I can see Bargs being dealt and Gay playing the 4.

Gay has the potential to be a very good number 1 option in Toronto.

Ed Davis played very well this season and has a chance to develop into a solid piece for the Grizz.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting fact as well is the Gay and Lowry are best friends

Kizer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
How many years are left on Gay's contract? Unless he's up for grabs next year this seems foolish for Memphis...

Kizer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
Yea... I guess if they saved a lot of money Tayshaun is a good role-player at that position. They'll have to unload the offense Gay brought elsewhere, though. Tayshaun isn't a big offensive threat anymore.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many years are left on Gay's contract? Unless he's up for grabs next year this seems foolish for Memphis...

I don't know the exact numbers but I think its like 2 years with 40 mil left. Memphis is in cost cutting mode since new ownership took over. They do not want to pay the luxury tax. They traded away some role players a couple of weeks ago to get under the tax this year. By trading Gay, they get under the tax for next year as well.

I wouldn't have traded him this soon though. I would have waited till the end of the season if I were them. They had a puncher's chance to contend for a title. If you've got even a 2% chance, I think you should go for it. You never know what could happen via favorable playoff seedings or injuries on other teams. Look at Boston last year. Injuries to Derrick Rose and Chris Bosh allowed Boston to get within a game of the Finals.

Kizer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
Yea, they had a chance at a run that squad was excellent in the playoffs. Gay will be the go to guy in Toronto, though. He's on my fantasy team so I hope his numbers go up, lol.