• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Garoppolo Next Year?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If there really are 3 teams seriously bidding (why isn't Pittsburgh included?), i would think minimum 2nd rounder plus 3rd?

I would take a 2023 Conditional 2nd that could become a 1st.

As much as i'm hoping for a 2022 1st rounder, can't imagine a team trading theirs for JG?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think the below is a good enough reason simply because there are multiple teams looking for a QB. If you're one of those 4-5 teams you can't wait and "string along the 49ers". In order to re-stock the starting positions with some semblence of quality, the 49ers have to restructure contracts anyway. I would be surprised if the 49ers aren't working on that now because this MIGHT also allow an extension to Deebo or Bosa. I don't think they can extend BOTH Deebo and Bosa this off-season.

NFL teams must be at or below the $208.2 million salary cap by the start of the new league year on Wednesday, March 16. That creates a key date for the San Francisco 49ers, who OverTheCap estimates are currently $4.5 million over that limit.

That's what may be holding up a Jimmy Garoppolo trade.

NFL teams know that the 49ers need to get below that salary-cap mark by next week. So really, there may be no rush to overspend for Garoppolo, who is probably the best-available quarterback right now. As that critical date approaches, interested NFL teams might believe San Francisco feels the pressure to move Garoppolo. It might require a little roster maneuvering or some creating contract restructures to get under the cap if they can't.

"They move Jimmy Garoppolo, and that's not an issue," The Athletic's Matt Barrows said Thursday on KNBR's Murph & Mac show. "He goes away and [frees up] $25 million in cap space. ... My point is I just wonder whether teams are using that deadline as leverage against the 49ers.

"This is maybe one of the reasons—the shoulder being another reason—to sort of drag this out and sort of get them to agree to a deal that doesn't give them quite as much compensation.

"The 49ers can do lots of other things—restructure [tight end] George Kittle. They can extend [safety] Jimmie Ward. They can cut this guy, cut that guy to get under that limit. But they have to be under it by [next] Wednesday, so they have to do a few things that they wouldn't normally want to do, I think, unless they trade Jimmy Garoppolo."

On Wednesday, NFL Media's Ian Rapoport reported that the 49ers are fielding several calls from teams interested in Garoppolo. With Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson off the market, Garoppolo suddenly becomes a desirable option for an organization desperate for a starting quarterback. Additionally, the Washington Commanders acquired Carson Wentz from the Colts, adding Indianapolis to quarterback-needy teams.

Rapoport reported "significant interest" from the Colts, so that becomes a possible destination for Garoppolo—depending on the price. It might make sense for a team to wait if it feels that price may drop.

"I have to believe that's part of the equation here," Barrows added. "A smart team, looking at the situation, will say, 'Hey, let's just kind of string them along until Monday and Tuesday, and see if we can't get them to agree to a more favorable deal for us."

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone think Brady coming back days before Free Agency is just to force Tampa Bay's hand in trading him? Maybe this is why Jimmy was not traded yet?

Brady coming back kills the Bucc's Cap Number and he could play hardball refusing to extend or rework the contract to give them flexibility.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's likely staying with the Bucc's, but I fail to see where Tampa has any leverage to stop Brady from getting whatever he wants. He's holding up their cap number right now, and could always demand a trade with the threat of a post Draft 2nd retirement. Basically forcing the Bucc's into a situation of not having that Brady-less cap space until well after most free agents have signed elsewhere. He can also make it so that no team he doesn't want to play for could Trade for him by refusing to sign any extension or again just threatening retirement if the trade is made. Bruce Arians comment about Brady playing for the Bucc's or no one was a bit foolish giving the Bucc's have so little leverage. They can force the contract on him, but doing so makes them a far worst team next year.

If they want to contend for another Super Bowl they need Brady to extend his contract and defer a large chunk of his cap hit into the future again. This way they can try to keep most of the team together for another run. If Brady refuses they don't have the cap space to do much of anything. They would need to trim off payroll somewhere else just to sign their Draft class.

Basically no one should believe Tom Brady playing again for the Bucc's is set in stone until it's been reported he re-worked his contract for them. If he does then he's really back and all in on winning again with them. If he doesn't then he's very likely trying to force his way out. He's definitely not playing again for a Tampa Bay team that he causes to be worst by not extending.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's likely staying with the Bucc's, but I fail to see where Tampa has any leverage to stop Brady from getting whatever he wants. He's holding up their cap number right now, and could always demand a trade with the threat of a post Draft 2nd retirement. Basically forcing the Bucc's into a situation of not having that Brady-less cap space until well after most free agents have signed elsewhere. He can also make it so that no team he doesn't want to play for could Trade for him by refusing to sign any extension or again just threatening retirement if the trade is made. Bruce Arians comment about Brady playing for the Bucc's or no one was a bit foolish giving the Bucc's have so little leverage. They can force the contract on him, but doing so makes them a far worst team next year.

If they want to contend for another Super Bowl they need Brady to extend his contract and defer a large chunk of his cap hit into the future again. This way they can try to keep most of the team together for another run. If Brady refuses they don't have the cap space to do much of anything. They would need to trim off payroll somewhere else just to sign their Draft class.

Basically no one should believe Tom Brady playing again for the Bucc's is set in stone until it's been reported he re-worked his contract for them. If he does then he's really back and all in on winning again with them. If he doesn't then he's very likely trying to force his way out. He's definitely not playing again for a Tampa Bay team that he causes to be worst by not extending.
I don't see this whole thing as Brady trying to force his way out of town. Brady's cap hit this season is only 20M, so there really isn't a big need to rework his deal. All signs point to him playing in Tampa this season.

All signs point to him playing for Tampa this year.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Anyone think Brady coming back days before Free Agency is just to force Tampa Bay's hand in trading him? Maybe this is why Jimmy was not traded yet?

Brady coming back kills the Bucc's Cap Number and he could play hardball refusing to extend or rework the contract to give them flexibility.
I think Tampa Bay is glad he's coming back. They had to have budgeted his cap hit prior, so it shouldn't be forcing a trade.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
IMO the below is exaggerated. If other teams aren't going to trade much for JG, then trading earlier still won't get much. The 2nd rounder is just that, rumour. On the other hand, if Lynch trades too early for say a 3rd, then another Writer will criticize him for losing the deal.

I still believe a trade will happen just that New Orleans, Carolina, and Indy will hold their offers.

What if the San Francisco 49ers can't trade Jimmy Garoppolo? Are they better off waiting until closer to the draft? Will they cut the quarterback? Maybe the Niners will try to hold onto him for another season, hoping for a decent compensatory pick after next season? Owning Garoppolo and his hefty salary past Wednesday, when teams must be at or below the salary cap, could be problematic.

Of course, the 49ers could trade Garoppolo in the next 24 hours. However, the options appear to be dwindling with each passing day as quarterback-needy teams fill that need.

One NFL insider, Benjamin Allbright, feels the 49ers overplayed their hand in the handling of Garoppolo. With the New Orleans Saints, Carolina Panthers, and Cleveland Browns now focused on Deshaun Watson, Garoppolo's stock appears to have plummeted. It doesn't help that the quarterback underwent shoulder surgery last week and will miss a significant portion of the offseason.

With the Pittsburgh Steelers, Denver Broncos, and Washington Commanders having already added quarterbacks, if the Indianapolis Colts go with another option, like Marcus Mariota, the 49ers could be in trouble.

"The market on [Garoppolo] has cratered," Allbright said Tuesday on 95.7 The Game. "I don't think the Colts are in on him at all. I think it's going to be Mariota. I think the shoulder surgery thing is just adding salt to the wound there, and it's just a bad situation.

"The Niners were hoping to get a pair of twos [for] him, and at this point, they'd be lucky to get a day-three pick [for] him."

There was a rumor that, at one point, the 49ers had an offer of a second-round pick on the table. Nothing came of that, with others reporting that San Francisco felt they could get more by waiting.

So what went wrong with the 49ers' plan? Did they overvalue Garoppolo? Was it the injury?

"I think it's a combination of things," Allbright continued. "I think they overplayed their hand. Any time you're going to see the Washington [Commanders] take on Carson Wentz's salary and give up two draft picks to do it, and not go after Jimmy Garoppolo, who's been to a Super Bowl, I think that means you overplayed your hand because I feel [offensive coordinator] Scott Turner and the offense over there in Washington would be just fine with Jimmy Garoppolo at the helm. Carson Wentz is a giant question mark.

"I think what they've done is they just overplayed their hand, in the end. Everybody knew what was coming. They knew he was going to be available at the end of the year, so they went out and made their plans and their contingency plans, and it wound up you get around the circle, and he's the only one without a chair left to sit in."

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the Browns are about to move on from Baker Mayfield even if they don't land Watson. So, cleveland could be a possible landing spot for Jimmy if the Colts, Saints, etc. don't work out.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How the sands have shifted. Maybe there's still a deal to be made with Indy, but it's starting to really feel like they don't have any legit dance partners here. If the league values Wentz above JG, I figure Mayfield is gonna find a home before JG too. With NOLA supposedly going back to Winston, I'm starting to think the FO may have overplayed their hand. How disappointing would it be if we have to cut Jimmy. Maybe they keep him, but at a reduced salary. I'm guessing he won't get anywhere near the $27M on his current contract on the open market. What a pisser.

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How the sands have shifted. Maybe there's still a deal to be made with Indy, but it's starting to really feel like they don't have any legit dance partners here. If the league values Wentz above JG, I figure Mayfield is gonna find a home before JG too. With NOLA supposedly going back to Winston, I'm starting to think the FO may have overplayed their hand. How disappointing would it be if we have to cut Jimmy. Maybe they keep him, but at a reduced salary. I'm guessing he won't get anywhere near the $27M on his current contract on the open market. What a pisser.
Agreed this thing sure went south. Maybe Houston will throw us a bone.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy isn't going to take a reduced salary--no way he goes from NFCCG QB to "took a 50% paycut to be a backup" in the same calendar year. Not gonna happen.

Like I said, if Lynch doesn't get at least a 3rd for Jimmy, he's gonna look like a fool--and lose a lot of fan/ownership confidence. With Watson landing in Cleveland, Baker will be on teh move and he wants Indy (doesn't look like Indy wants him, though). Winston is a natural fit in NOLA and that really only leaves Carolina, where we might have to get what we can since their HC is desperate for success. Just not a lot of options.

I have to wonder if Jimmy screwed us by sitting on his shoulder injury, or whether the FO screwed us by not trading him at the first realistic opportunity.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy isn't going to take a reduced salary--no way he goes from NFCCG QB to "took a 50% paycut to be a backup" in the same calendar year. Not gonna happen.

Like I said, if Lynch doesn't get at least a 3rd for Jimmy, he's gonna look like a fool--and lose a lot of fan/ownership confidence. With Watson landing in Cleveland, Baker will be on teh move and he wants Indy (doesn't look like Indy wants him, though). Winston is a natural fit in NOLA and that really only leaves Carolina, where we might have to get what we can since their HC is desperate for success. Just not a lot of options.

I have to wonder if Jimmy screwed us by sitting on his shoulder injury, or whether the FO screwed us by not trading him at the first realistic opportunity.
Jimmy might have screwed himself more so than us with his shoulder surgery. If we can't trade him then it's very likely he is not a starting QB anywhere next year. Considering how the QB market has played out it was in his best interest to get traded. If we have to release him then whoever signs him will likely only be offering top tier backup money at best. If he stays on the team then he's a very expensive backup, but staying on the team and hoping Lance struggles might be Jimmy's best path to staying a starting QB.

The QB that is really screwed is Baker Mayfield. Any of these teams left that need a QB would be far better off with Jimmy Garoppolo. He'd likely come cheaper in a trade, and he's more proven as a leader and winner at the position than Mayfield. I think it's pretty telling that Houston didn't want Mayfield in the Watson trade.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, there goes Jimmy's market.

Ryan to Indy
Mariota to Atlanta
Winston to New Orleans
Trubisky to Pittsburgh
Brady back in TB
Wentz to Washington
Mills is the man in Houston
Watson goes to Cleveland
Wilson to Denver

Who does that leave?
--Panthers
--Seattle

And i dont' think Seattle wants Jimmy, so the Panthers can play hardball with us b/c they know we're gonna have to cut Jimmy at some point before the season.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ryan to Indy
Mariota to Atlanta
Winston to New Orleans
Trubisky to Pittsburgh
Brady back in TB
Wentz to Washington
Watson goes to Cleveland
Wilson to Denver

Who does that leave?
--Panthers
--Seattle

And i dont' think Seattle wants Jimmy, so the Panthers can play hardball with us b/c they know we're gonna have to cut Jimmy at some point before the season.
Wow... right? Jimmy didn't help himself by getting surgery, but if we're being honest, that's the "straight shooter" way to deal with the issue for both him and the team, knowing he'd need to pass a physical anyway. The team can still release him to save $$'s, and he knows that. So he took risk too. It's more a statement on the league's view of his value and a testament to the fear that Jimmy is always injured - because he kinda is. And now it's gonna cost him. If we cut him and he went to Seattle, which I ain't gonna rule out at this point, I'd be pissed for like two seconds, knowing that we got the better of that deal in the long run, lol.

Again, crazy how all of this has gone. More than anything, I think it tells JG and those in the locker room that have been backing him what his value is in this league given his stats and injury history.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ryan to Indy
Mariota to Atlanta
Winston to New Orleans
Trubisky to Pittsburgh
Brady back in TB
Wentz to Washington
Watson goes to Cleveland
Wilson to Denver

Who does that leave?
--Panthers
--Seattle

On top of that, isn't Baker a little more attractive to the Panthers at this point? $8M less against the cap and he's younger. While he shouldn't be, I can see teams posturing that Baker is more attractive to them for those reasons.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just going to say this again... Carson-f@cking-Wentz got traded for 2 3rd's (one of which can become a 2nd) and we aren't getting shite for JG. They are on almost identical contracts. Either the FO overplayed their hand really badly, or the world is collectively holding their nose at the thought of JG starting for their team.

So disappointing relative to what I had hoped immediately after the season ended.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On top of that, isn't Baker a little more attractive to the Panthers at this point? $8M less against the cap and he's younger. While he shouldn't be, I can see teams posturing that Baker is more attractive to them for those reasons.
I know the Carolina coach is desperate to win now, so he'll have to have an upgrade. Honestly, I'd rather have Jimmy over Baker. No doubt, it'll be a jousting match with both sides trying to bluff.

I'm just going to say this again... Carson-f@cking-Wentz got traded for 2 3rd's (one of which can become a 2nd) and we aren't getting shite for JG. They are on almost identical contracts. Either the FO overplayed their hand really badly, or the world is collectively holding their nose at the thought of JG starting for their team.

So disappointing relative to what I had hoped immediately after the season ended.
Ask most any Commie fan and they think they got robbed on teh Wentz deal. He can throw deep and outside, which is soemthing the Skins like to do and something that Jimmy isn't good at, so Wentz over Jimmy makes sense, but you're right--they paid a pretty decent haul and it looks like Lynch will be left holding the bag on Jimmy.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JG staying with the team under a restructured deal that pays him more than say $15M, but only counts against the cap for say $8M, is legit on the table now. Both the team and JG are gonna need to eat some crow on this.

I would personally hate this outcome, btw. But to save face, it's possible. The team will say they're "happy with this, and have always loved Jimmy... now he can compete with Lance." But having him around isn't gonna help the kid or the locker room, I worry.