• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Garoppolo Next Year?

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JG staying with the team under a restructured deal that pays him more than say $15M, but only counts against the cap for say $8M, is legit on the table now. Both the team and JG are gonna need to eat some crow on this.

I would personally hate this outcome, btw. But to save face, it's possible. The team will say they're "happy with this, and have always loved Jimmy... now he can compete with Lance." But having him around isn't gonna help the kid or the locker room, I worry.
It's creative thinking, but I don't see anyway that happens. Not with us having guaranteed 2M to Nate Sudfield to be Lance's backup.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's creative thinking, but I don't see anyway that happens. Not with us having guaranteed 2M to Nate Sudfield to be Lance's backup.
Maybe all of the talk was just posturing in the media during negotiations, but it's a fear I have. You're right about the facts surrounding the situation, though.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm just going to say this again... Carson-f@cking-Wentz got traded for 2 3rd's (one of which can become a 2nd) and we aren't getting shite for JG. They are on almost identical contracts. Either the FO overplayed their hand really badly, or the world is collectively holding their nose at the thought of JG starting for their team.

So disappointing relative to what I had hoped immediately after the season ended.
What you posted earlier is correct, there simply wasn't value in JG. Add his talent level + Surgery + Age + Contract, and nobody wanted him.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
JG staying with the team under a restructured deal that pays him more than say $15M, but only counts against the cap for say $8M, is legit on the table now. Both the team and JG are gonna need to eat some crow on this.

I would personally hate this outcome, btw. But to save face, it's possible. The team will say they're "happy with this, and have always loved Jimmy... now he can compete with Lance." But having him around isn't gonna help the kid or the locker room, I worry.
I don't think they'll keep JG simply because of the 'locker room dynamic'. Even if you have to cut him at worst case, you cut him. Yes, that is nothing in return but apparently, nobody is offering anything anyway.

When you win everything is fine but when you lose, everything comes out and destroys chemistry. With JG out, they still think as a team with Lance as the QB, even after losses. 'Half' the team doesn't start to back the other QB.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't the Texans still be a possible trade partner? They have the cap space and could use a veteran to go with whatever they do be it Mills or a rookie. Clearly they didn't want Baker.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't the Texans still be a possible trade partner? They have the cap space and could use a veteran to go with whatever they do be it Mills or a rookie. Clearly they didn't want Baker.
Reports out of Houston indicate that they're gonna go with Mills at QB. And Jimmy is making too much money to be a backup.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After 24 hrs of cursing and bitching, I've resided myself to the fact that we won't get anything for JG and will most likely release him after he's healthy. As several wiser-than-me posters have pointed out, there's almost no chance that he's on the roster next year.

Jimmy is the biggest loser in all of this... by far. Sucks for the team, no doubt, but they can recover pretty quickly from losing one or two draft picks. My man Jimmy was set to make $27M this year. Now... he'll make $7.5M as a back-up? Will he make any more than his injury minimum? Crazy that the dude won't be a starter to begin the 2022 season. Marcus Mariota, Jared Goff, and Drew Lock will be starters in this league, but not Jimmy G. How insane is that? What are he and his agent thinking this morning? That's some really shitty luck. At the time, I didn't think the surgery announcement would have that big of an impact on things, but as the facts played out it seems to have - especially for a player with injury concerns already. I definitely don't think JG intentionally screwed the team by getting surgery, that makes no sense. Just another part of the fact pattern that will make this one of the strangest starting QB stories in the history of the franchise.

I'm overly-fascinated by all of this.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll add that it will be interesting to hear what some of the early offers included and what the FO passed on, once everything comes out in the wash. While JG's injury history ultimately played a role, when the FA period kicked-off, there had to be a few offers from other teams. Would it surprise anyone to hear that Pit or Indy offered something like a 3rd, but we passed? In hindsight, I'm guessing the FO is gonna have some egg on their face too. Just very hard for me to believe that no one made any offer whatsoever.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll add that it will be interesting to hear what some of the early offers included and what the FO passed on, once everything comes out in the wash. While JG's injury history ultimately played a role, when the FA period kicked-off, there had to be a few offers from other teams. Would it surprise anyone to hear that Pit or Indy offered something like a 3rd, but we passed? In hindsight, I'm guessing the FO is gonna have some egg on their face too. Just very hard for me to believe that no one made any offer whatsoever.
I agree. If we get nothing for Jimmy, and it's looking like that'll be the case, the Niner FO will look like idiots who overplayed their hand.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. If we get nothing for Jimmy, and it's looking like that'll be the case, the Niner FO will look like idiots who overplayed their hand.
And if that ends up being the case, JG's side may be (understandably) a little pissed off right now. If this ends up costing him like $15M, and they coulda had a reasonable pick? There may already be love lost. The drama... the intrigue! Not a fan of this offseason thus far, lol.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you aren't following Rita on this Jimmy G saga, you should. Makes it more palatable :-)

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sucks for the 49ers to not get any compensation, but we've already moved on.

The loser in this is Jimmy. It makes sense for us to wait until he's healthy to release him. At that point his only hope of being a starting QB is someone getting injured. It's possible Jimmy is not on a NFL team come Week 1. I think Steelers and Texans would be interested if we release him, but it depends on when that happens.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading the tea leafs, says the 9ers have made their decision on Jimmy

Unless you've been reading the LeftWingMedia, you've already known the Niners' decision on Jimmy. He was either going to get traded or cut. That has been the decision since last offseason. It hasn't changed. Nothing the media has said in the last year has changed it. The decision is the same as it's always been. Jimmy is a goner. One way or the other, he will not be a Niner in 2022 unless he takes a 15M pay cut. Nothing has changed. Nothing.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless you've been reading the LeftWingMedia, you've already known the Niners' decision on Jimmy. He was either going to get traded or cut. That has been the decision since last offseason. It hasn't changed. Nothing the media has said in the last year has changed it. The decision is the same as it's always been. Jimmy is a goner. One way or the other, he will not be a Niner in 2022 unless he takes a 15M pay cut. Nothing has changed. Nothing.
I thought this was on the nfl board, i wanted to press Browns fans buttons on Baker.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It sucks for the 49ers to not get any compensation, but we've already moved on.

The loser in this is Jimmy. It makes sense for us to wait until he's healthy to release him. At that point his only hope of being a starting QB is someone getting injured. It's possible Jimmy is not on a NFL team come Week 1. I think Steelers and Texans would be interested if we release him, but it depends on when that happens.
If JG has any hope of starting somewhere, he'll need to drop his cap hit.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whelp... looks like the possible outcomes for JG are getting are all but gone with Baker getting traded to the Panthers. I guess we wait to see who gets injured during camp/preseason? Or potentially cut him before the season starts? Still can't see him resigning with the 9ers at a reduced rate to be the backup - although that is a possibility.