• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Garoppolo Next Year?

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whelp... looks like the possible outcomes for JG are getting are all but gone with Baker getting traded to the Panthers. I guess we wait to see who gets injured during camp/preseason? Or potentially cut him before the season starts? Still can't see him resigning with the 9ers at a reduced rate to be the backup - although that is a possibility.
Yea, Jimmy is getting cut. Probably as soon as he can pass a physical. The FO overplayed its hand early on and then Jimmy ruined the whole thing by having surgery. Where will he go?

Cleveland needs a starter but b/c of Jimmy's contract, it ain't gonna happen via trade. I could see him going there after we cut him and he'd start for the time Watson is suspended.

Seattle needs a starter, but they're tanking this season, so no way they're giving anything for him.

Jimmy the backup QB could go to a lot of places.
--TB, he backed up Brady before
--Miami, knows the offense and HC, but they have Bridgewater (who has not looked good)
--Saints, relying on Winston seems risky

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, Jimmy is getting cut. Probably as soon as he can pass a physical. The FO overplayed its hand early on and then Jimmy ruined the whole thing by having surgery. Where will he go?

Cleveland needs a starter but b/c of Jimmy's contract, it ain't gonna happen via trade. I could see him going there after we cut him and he'd start for the time Watson is suspended.

Seattle needs a starter, but they're tanking this season, so no way they're giving anything for him.

Jimmy the backup QB could go to a lot of places.
--TB, he backed up Brady before
--Miami, knows the offense and HC, but they have Bridgewater (who has not looked good)
--Saints, relying on Winston seems risky
He may be forced into a sign and trade where he takes a paycut in either scenario similar to Baker. Seems like the highest probability is that he's cut, though. I don't think he wants to be a backup, so more likely to go somewhere that he can be a bridge (ala the browns) or at least compete for a starting job. His surgery really messed things up for him financially - had to be done, but man sucks for him personally.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Latest report says Grop won't be cleared until Mid August. That all-but guarantees that he'll be cut and we'll get nothing for him. The timing of his surgery really screwed us.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Latest report says Grop won't be cleared until Mid August. That all-but guarantees that he'll be cut and we'll get nothing for him. The timing of his surgery really screwed us.
Yup... kinda feeling the same way. With the news on Watson getting an 8 game suspension max, I don't see them entering the waters for a trade either. Maybe someone gets injured in camp... but that's the only way I see us avoiding a cut situation. Then he signs with the Seahawks within like 48 hrs, lol.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe... just maybe New Orleans will show up as a potential trade partner? Didn't realize they actually have like $11M of cap space left this year, I thought they blew it all on dead-money deals. If they can get JG to sign an extension to spread out his hit, there's a potential deal to be made there. I know they've said that they're riding with Winston, but who knows?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maybe... just maybe New Orleans will show up as a potential trade partner? Didn't realize they actually have like $11M of cap space left this year, I thought they blew it all on dead-money deals. If they can get JG to sign an extension to spread out his hit, there's a potential deal to be made there. I know they've said that they're riding with Winston, but who knows?
Not only an extension but a reduced salary. I don't see any team trading for JG at his current contract, i wouldn't.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only an extension but a reduced salary. I don't see any team trading for JG at his current contract, i wouldn't.
If they give him a "bonus" and extension year the average cap hit could only be around $14M (or less), which seems reasonable. If they send Winston over in the deal (or Dalton, but I'd rather take Winston) they could make it work. And JG will take that deal all day long given how the landscape has changed. He's got to have had a bit of a wake-up call these last few months. Not saying it's gonna happen - but there's a deal that could be made if NO were interested.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schefter just tweeted that the 9ers have given JG permission to seek a trade (thought they already did that when the season ended??)... only bring this up because it feels staged... plus, news is that he's cleared to practice (even though a few days ago clearance looked to be mid-august). Feels like the team may be trying to get him off the roster (with his agreement) prior to training camp starting. So, maybe forcing the market to take a position and drum up two teams interested in his services prior to cutting him?? Seems like something's in the works either way.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schefter just tweeted that the 9ers have given JG permission to seek a trade (thought they already did that when the season ended??)... only bring this up because it feels staged... plus, news is that he's cleared to practice (even though a few days ago clearance looked to be mid-august). Feels like the team may be trying to get him off the roster (with his agreement) prior to training camp starting. So, maybe forcing the market to take a position and drum up two teams interested in his services prior to cutting him?? Seems like something's in the works either way.
Just feels like this move is created to 1) give the FO cover if they end up cutting him, or 2) get whatever teams have been talking to the 9ers off the sideline... both can be true, however, I think it may be weighted a bit towards the later. There must be a few teams sniffing around but are holding their cards waiting for him to be released. If a deal can be done to extend/reduce his contract with his direct involvement, that could create a market where the team actually gets some draft capital in return.

No need to release this info unless the 9ers feel like they can leverage it... makes me think there are actually a few teams talking to them, but they are hesitating. This kinda forces a discussion on that front. Or he gets released because those teams are, in fact, gun shy and aren't angling for a better deal.

Either way, this feels like a very planned leak.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just feels like this move is created to 1) give the FO cover if they end up cutting him, or 2) get whatever teams have been talking to the 9ers off the sideline... both can be true, however, I think it may be weighted a bit towards the later. There must be a few teams sniffing around but are holding their cards waiting for him to be released. If a deal can be done to extend/reduce his contract with his direct involvement, that could create a market where the team actually gets some draft capital in return.

No need to release this info unless the 9ers feel like they can leverage it... makes me think there are actually a few teams talking to them, but they are hesitating. This kinda forces a discussion on that front. Or he gets released because those teams are, in fact, gun shy and aren't angling for a better deal.

Either way, this feels like a very planned leak.
IMO even if it is a leak, doesn't change the dynamics much.

If we look at it from the other teams perspective...............i'd inquire about a trade only if its trading away a late draft pick. The 'late' draft pick could have a contigency like Mayfield, but in the end still a later pick. Anything is better than nothing but i'm not hoping for much in a trade.

Earlier i thought "why would JG reduce his contract?", but that wasn't correct. If he doesn't reduce it now and gets cut, he needs to negotiate a new contract anyway. The odds are high thst JG will get cut if no trade offer arises.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Jimmy passed a physical! That means he's either traded or cut soon.

The one thing the team can't do is let him come into camp--and certainly not practice. So far, he seems ok with that.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Jimmy passed a physical! That means he's either traded or cut soon.

The one thing the team can't do is let him come into camp--and certainly not practice. So far, he seems ok with that.
Yeah... that's good news for sure. Only reason not to release him right now is if there are a few potential trade partners talking to the team. Otherwise, given how things have gone down, I'd just assume they will give him as much time to find a new home and cut him early in training camp. At this point any huge return in draft picks seems unlikely, so drawing this out any longer makes little sense.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Browns do not trade for Jimmy now they're telling their fans and team to wait for next year despite having a playoff ready roster.

Watson suspension does mean he can play the final 6 games, but realistically for the Browns this is a year suspension. Watson looked awful in his preseason game and will not be able to practice with the team for half his suspension. He's not coming back those 6 games to save the season. He only plays because the season is over.

Jimmy and Brisset at least give you a chance to make the playoffs, and Jimmy won't hurt the cap next year.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If the Browns do not trade for Jimmy now they're telling their fans and team to wait for next year despite having a playoff ready roster.

Watson suspension does mean he can play the final 6 games, but realistically for the Browns this is a year suspension. Watson looked awful in his preseason game and will not be able to practice with the team for half his suspension. He's not coming back those 6 games to save the season. He only plays because the season is over.

Jimmy and Brisset at least give you a chance to make the playoffs, and Jimmy won't hurt the cap next year.
The Browns have a REALLY good roster so i get why this decision is tough. Even with Brissett, they could still go 6-5 or maybe even 7-4 with a break here and there The Browns can lean a little on their run game because they have good RB depth. This way they reserve $25M in cap space to keep their own top players. After spending a boatload on Watson, they have to be 'cheap charlie' NOW else lose core player(s) next season and beyond. You need to maximize your Watson trade next season and beyond, too late for this season. Trying to save this season by spending $25M seems risky?

Is the difference between JG and Brissett woth $25M?

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I heard that the Browns are trying to get the 9ers to eat a portion of JG's contract, which is a ridiculous ask, knowing they can cut him and have no cap hit. Maybe they would eat a small amount, just to make things work - but there's no reason to do anything material on this front. And if they want him, and don't want Seattle to get a crack at him, they should just pony up, or convince him he needs to take less. If there's any movement on the salary front, it'll most likely be due to JG accepting less, not the 9ers eating it.

I just can't see Seattle hitting game one with the mess they have at QB. Geno looked sooooo bad the other day. I get they want to tank, but man, you can't start tanking before the season and keep the fans engaged. Seems like they have to do something. If we release him, I imagine they'll be on the phone with JG's agent within minutes. The Browns have to be aware of that?

DurbanPoison2121

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reworked his contract to stay
There's the Madden part of me that digs this deal. There's the reality based "been in a locker room" part of me that is scared of what this will do to Lance's development with a ready now roster if Lance hits some rough patches.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good move by the Niner's FO to sign Jimmy G. for another year.

He'll likely be back in the starting role by week 5 or 6, unless Lance somehow shows he's a legit starting QB before then.

Last edited:

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Groo
I think the FO botched this badly. Just when I thought they couldn't mess this up any more....If you wanted to undermine Lance, this is exactly how you do it.

So Jimmy takes a massive paycut down to 6.5M (fully guaranteed) with incentives up to 16M. He's got a no-tag and a no-trade. He's still tradeable, but that is unlikely. Makes it look like this is either the FO expressing huge concern over Lance or else it's the FO trying to make sure we get a 3rd rd comp for Jimmy when he leaves in the offseason.

Last edited: