• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Game Thread: Conference championships: Jan. 29

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a strange feeling as a Philly fan going into this one: cautious optimism. We're not used to this in Negadelphia!

I think these teams are pretty evenly matched overall, and Philly could certainly lose, and possibly lose big. But I feel good about their chances. Part of the reason is that I feel good about Jalen Hurts versus Brock Purdy. All things being relatively even, to me that might be a difference maker. But we shall see in two hours!

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I actually like the Eagles more in this game. The 9ers have often struggled when they face mobile QBs (look at Russell Wilson over the years when he had mobility), the Eagles have a great OL (better than Dallas), and the 49ers don't match up well at all against their wideouts. On the defensive side the Eagles have been great against the run since Davis got back into action so Purdy is going to have to throw. The Eagles don't cover the middle of the field as well as Dallas but they can certainly shut down their wideouts.

Also, since Purdy has started, 6 of his 8 games (playoffs included) have been at home. And the 2 away games were against a shitty Seattle defense (West Coast) and the Vegas Raiders (basically West coast - from San Fran you could drive there in one day) where actually a lot of San Fran fans traveled to. He is experiencing flying across the Country now (major time zone change and fanbase change) against BY FAR a better defense on the road (Raiders/Seahawks defense sucks). Purdy was also not that good in College on away games. He was more turnover prone and put up sub par performances more often.

I could very much see a multi interception game from Purdy. If I was betting and it wasn't a spread, I'd have action on the Eagles all day. San Fran should keep things 'CLOSE' because their defense, but I don't see how the 49ers realistically win this game if it were replayed 10 times.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually like the Eagles more in this game. The 9ers have often struggled when they face mobile QBs (look at Russell Wilson over the years when he had mobility), the Eagles have a great OL (better than Dallas), and the 49ers don't match up well at all against their wideouts. On the defensive side the Eagles have been great against the run since Davis got back into action so Purdy is going to have to throw. The Eagles don't cover the middle of the field as well as Dallas but they can certainly shut down their wideouts.

Also, since Purdy has started, 6 of his 8 games (playoffs included) have been at home. And the 2 away games were against a shitty Seattle defense (West Coast) and the Vegas Raiders (basically West coast - from San Fran you could drive there in one day) where actually a lot of San Fran fans traveled to. He is experiencing flying across the Country now (major time zone change and fanbase change) against BY FAR a better defense on the road (Raiders/Seahawks defense sucks). Purdy was also not that good in College on away games. He was more turnover prone and put up sub par performances more often.

I could very much see a multi interception game from Purdy. If I was betting and it wasn't a spread, I'd have action on the Eagles all day. San Fran should keep things 'CLOSE' because their defense, but I don't see how the 49ers realistically win this game if it were replayed 10 times.
From your lips to God’s ears

Chief Cola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a strange feeling as a Philly fan going into this one: cautious optimism. We're not used to this in Negadelphia!

I think these teams are pretty evenly matched overall, and Philly could certainly lose, and possibly lose big. But I feel good about their chances. Part of the reason is that I feel good about Jalen Hurts versus Brock Purdy. All things being relatively even, to me that might be a difference maker. But we shall see in two hours!
I'm pretty sure the Eagles got this one. As long as Hurts doesn't have a ridiculously bad game I don't see the 9ers outscoring them. Two running teams though is going to be like a headon collision. Should be fun to watch.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure the Eagles got this one. As long as Hurts doesn't have a ridiculously bad game I don't see the 9ers outscoring them. Two running teams though is going to be like a headon collision. Should be fun to watch.
I would think so logically. But the 49ers have defied gravity for a while now. So we'll see.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Both teams are pretty good against the run, I don't expect the Eagles to completely shut down CMAC and the 9ers can certainly stop runners. Where the 9ers have struggled in the past is against mobile QBs which Hurts certainly is. All the years Seattle beat up on the 9ers was a large part due to Wilson's mobility (until he stopped using his legs as much or got injured in his final year with Seattle). I see that being a KEY contributor in this game, also the fact Philly's got a top 3 OL (maybe #1).

The game should be close, because 49ers have a good and fast D, but I don't see the game really being that close. I think Eagles will get out to an early lead and keep it the entire game while the 49ers struggle to make it close. I'll NEVER discount good defenses so I don't expect some ridiculous runaway game from Philly, but I don't see how the 49ers come close to winning this. Purdy is also traveling to the east coast for the FIRST time in the NFL where the fanbase isn't necessarily gonna follow (his other two away games in his CAREER were Seattle and Vegas lol - tons of 9ers fans went to Vegas, and Seattle's D sucks and 9ers fans always appear in Seattle anyway).

ElPatron1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Picks are up for my bets-

Took Philly money line (large bet)

Took Cincy and points...(Small bet, seems like a coin flip)

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Picks are up for my bets-

Took Philly money line (large bet)

Took Cincy and points...(Small bet, seems like a coin flip)

I'm not a huge sports better (just not my thing) but if I was forced to bet and put a large bet on one of the games, I'd basically mirror your choice.

I think Mahomes' ankle sprain is going to keep the Chiefs from keeping pace with the Bengals. The Chiefs are VERY reliant on the blitz to get pressure on QBs (majority of their QB pressures come on a blitz) and SURPRISE, Burrow is one of the best QBs in the league against the blitz. Mahomes is great against the blitz too, but the Bengals don't do that as much. Also, the Bengals shut down the run very well... KC is not that great against the run so I'd expect the Bengals to have more success in that regard.

Playing in KC is tough (although hell, it takes 1 day to drive from Cincy to KC so there's a decent chance a lot of Cincy fans will make the trek), but I think the fact Mahomes is playing injured and wont have as much mobility may be the deciding factor. Either way, like your bets. I would do the same. Earlier in the thread I already gave my opinion on the 49ers/Eagles game (if you care to know).

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just hope the Cowboys and are watching so they cam expierence watching a winner today.

Jordan23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm expecting the Bengals to continue to have a hex on the Chiefs and Eagles will burst the rookie QB's bubble....
Poised rookie, however without a healthy backfield that could be tough.

Jordan23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2 healthy teams and this is a coin flip

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CMON, you can tell me. Your nuts are in your throat a little today, right?
Lucky for you, you've covered every base with this post right here.
You should be good. Great season either way>

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like that's some massive cognitive dissonance. There's a reason the public was so heavy on the Bengals and it involves ankles.
Is there a prop bet for the 1st player to roll up on Mahomes anle?
How about 1st player to slam Kelce in the back?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Chiefs are VERY reliant on the blitz to get pressure on QBs (majority of their QB pressures come on a blitz) and SURPRISE, Burrow is one of the best QBs in the league against the blitz. Mahomes is great against the blitz too, but the Bengals don't do that as much. Also, the Bengals shut down the run very well... KC is not that great against the run so I'd expect the Bengals to have more success in that regard.

Playing in KC is tough (although hell, it takes 1 day to drive from Cincy to KC so there's a decent chance a lot of Cincy fans will make the trek), but I think the fact Mahomes is playing injured and wont have as much mobility may be the deciding factor. Either way, like your bets. I would do the same. Earlier in the thread I already gave my opinion on the 49ers/Eagles game (if you care to know).
Chiefs really shouldn't be blitz reliant in this game unless the Bengals really do have solid oline depth. They're down..3? offensive linemen? Should be more similar to last year's matchup (I think the Chiefs Dline got pressure on 40% of throws) as opposed to this years. If its not then the dominos do start falling the Bengals way.

The fundamental issue with the matchup is that generally the Bengals #1 WR is better than the Chiefs #1 CB, the Bengals #2 WR is better than the Chiefs #2 CB, and the Bengals #3 WR is better than the Chiefs #3 CB. I do think Trent McDuffie at least gives them a chance but I know last year with Charvarius Ward he did okay on Chase and Chase just won every. single. time. Ward is in San Fran right now but there is still the idea that Chase can just take over the game by himself so I suspect Spagnuolo cant blitz often.