• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game of Thrones

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we do away with off-camera deaths please?

Blackfish and Waif both getting off-camera deaths in the same episode? It seems like they are using this device as a crutch so they can kill characters without having to commit themselves to an actual death.

FTR, I believe Waif is dead, but Blackfish will show up again.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder, if Lady Stoneheart really isn't going to happen (being it's been several years now, and Beric is still alive)...

If the Blackfish ends up taking her place in the show. Maybe he died, and they float him down the river, and Beric and Thoros find him and bring him back the same way they would have with Catelyn.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why'd the Waif play it like that instead of just giving her a 'quick death?' Because she hated her, right from jump. It was personal for her.

Plus, the CGI to have The Waif cut off Arya's head as opposed to just stabbing her would have been really expensive.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blackfish and Waif both getting off-camera deaths in the same episode? It seems like they are using this device as a crutch so they can kill characters without having to commit themselves to an actual death.

See post #1555 - real deaths are too expensive for TV.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I loved the episode and definitely laughed out loud when The Hound said he preferred chicken after Thoros (or maybe Beric, I don't recall exactly) asked him how his food was.

Bastard Bowl will be epic and I'm guessing the final episode is full of dragons laying waste to the ships currently besieging Mereen. Final scene: something to do with Bran fucking up and going south of the wall...essentially giving The Night King a free pass to get beyond tWall.

I'm pumped.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh ffs. GRRM is up to his eyeballs overseeing the writing of the fvcking TV show. The showrunners have known the broad strokes of where Martin was going for YEARS, and have access to him all the time for current updates/feedback. Add in all Martin's stupid side projects he refuses to dump, and you have one really really late fucking book.

Why'd the Waif play it like that instead of just giving her a 'quick death?' Because she hated her, right from jump. It was personal for her. Because she was going to get the status that the Waif wasn't.

And no she wasn't 'supposed' to fail. How would that work? But Jaquen bet that Arya would win. That was obvious from jump. Why'd he invest all the time and energy in her from the get-go, only to waste it by having her killed? The FM now have a highly placed asset who will walk the corridors of power in Westeros.

Of course I'll have to wait to see, but i'm betting that GRRM waxes poetic for pages after page, over several chapters of book, on how Arya survives her injuries.

There's (here I go agaaaaain) not any time for that in a TV show. So we get the condensed version where she sleeps for a couple of days and is miraculously healed by the actress. <shrug> Oh well. Not any different from any typical Bond movie, or cop actioner, where the protagonist takes all kinds of beatings/shootings/bludgeonings/stabbings and shrugs them off and stays in the game. Every time an action hero walks away from a car accident involving flipping is likewise 100% ridiculous. Every time a hero clips someone on the back of the head to knock them unconscious is ridiculous.

Suspension of disbelief baby.

Actually Georgey boy said this season for the first time he basically wasn't involved at all. He was trying his hardest to get his own version out beforehand, and accepted the fact that the show was going to diverge more than ever before from the books. Yes the writers of the show know how everything is going to end and have the general directional map of how to get there, but they're both taking different side roads and maybe seeing different scenery on the way there.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O
There's (here I go agaaaaain) not any time for that in a TV show. So we get the condensed version where she sleeps for a couple of days and is miraculously healed by the actress. <shrug> Oh well. Not any different from any typical Bond movie, or cop actioner, where the protagonist takes all kinds of beatings/shootings/bludgeonings/stabbings and shrugs them off and stays in the game. Every time an action hero walks away from a car accident involving flipping is likewise 100% ridiculous. Every time a hero clips someone on the back of the head to knock them unconscious is ridiculous.

Suspension of disbelief baby.

Yeah I think so but she sure seemed to get a lot more than a "flesh wound".

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually Georgey boy said this season for the first time he basically wasn't involved at all. He was trying his hardest to get his own version out beforehand, and accepted the fact that the show was going to diverge more than ever before from the books. Yes the writers of the show know how everything is going to end and have the general directional map of how to get there, but they're both taking different side roads and maybe seeing different scenery on the way there.

As far as I know his involvement has been declining for a few years now so this would make sense. I'm sure the end game is going to be the same as the books, but the path to get there seems like it's going to be very different. Obviously the Dorne story is not going to end the same way, but I'd imagine even story lines like Arya's aren't going to be that similar to what we eventually see in the books.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Eh, sorry, not buying it. He gets distracted by passing squirrels. Every time I see another fantasy book on the shelves with GRRM's one sentence review on the cover, I want to scream, 'Write your own damn book!"

So far I've resisted.

And sure, they're wiping out whole storylines, merging others, moving stuff along, that goes without saying. Radically different outcomes for the core group? Sorry, not buying it. The showrunners worship GRRM. They're not changing bedrock stuff.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we do away with off-camera deaths please?

FTR, I believe Waif is dead, but Blackfish will show up again.

The way they've been killing off characters to tie up loose ends this season makes me think the Blackfish is dead fo' realz.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course I'll have to wait to see, but i'm betting that GRRM waxes poetic for pages after page, over several chapters of book, on how Arya survives her injuries.

Right before she got stabbed Arya arranged for passage to Westeros the next day. I believe that captain was initially planning to leave the following day so without Arya or her gold he'd likely stick to that plan. If she ends up getting on that same ship whether it departs when the captain initially wanted to or when Arya wanted it to, then yeah that would be quite the miraculous recover. But I agree that we see more unreasonable stuff happen all the time. So what can you do?

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I think Daenerys could unleash her dragons on those ships quite easily, or at least Drogon whom she seems capable of controlling. He'd likely only have to burn a few before the rest retreat. I think her dilemma is going to be that she will want those ships though. So I think to redeem himself Tyrion is going to have to come up with a plan to save the city and acquire the slavers ships. We might also see Theon and Yara show up and take out the slavers, if they can figure out what's going on.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I think Daenerys could unleash her dragons on those ships quite easily, or at least Drogon whom she seems capable of controlling. He'd likely only have to burn a few before the rest retreat. I think her dilemma is going to be that she will want those ships though. So I think to redeem himself Tyrion is going to have to come up with a plan to save the city and acquire the slavers ships. We might also see Theon and Yara show up and take out the slavers, if they can figure out what's going on.

Yup, Dany needs those attacking slaver ships for troop transport, so she needs to try to control the dragons so that only a few ships get burned, and the remainder of the slaver fleet probably gets taken by Yara & Theon's fleet.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is possible, though unlikely, to get stabbed in the gut 3-4 times and have no vital organs hit. In which case it is possible that Arya suffered basically superficial wounds that reopened in a fairly realistic manner during the chase. She did suffer damage and just made it back to her destination. Also, it would be hard to show the fight when it happened in pitch black.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right before she got stabbed Arya arranged for passage to Westeros the next day. I believe that captain was initially planning to leave the following day so without Arya or her gold he'd likely stick to that plan. If she ends up getting on that same ship whether it departs when the captain initially wanted to or when Arya wanted it to, then yeah that would be quite the miraculous recover. But I agree that we see more unreasonable stuff happen all the time. So what can you do?
IIRC, the captain was planning on leaving in a couple weeks, but Arya paid for the hurry up.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But I agree that we see more unreasonable stuff happen all the time. So what can you do?

I draw the line somewhere (it's a pretty freaking blurry line) around the SOD being too big to just accept and move on. Stuff that isn't motivated by the characters as written, stuff that goes against other stuff in the same chapter or book. Breaking the laws of logic, or just stuff that takes you so far out of the story that you can't go along.

Because story-telling is about entertaining at its root. Take cop shows. Hang around with cops, and they'll tell you how 90% (or higher) of their time is spent on the mind-numbingly mundane and ordinary. Filing paperwork, doing PR, catching up with contacts, talking to people about their missing bicycles or how they think their neighbor is an ISIS plant. (okay that last one has potential)

But where you want some marks of authenticity, you don't want to have a REALISTIC show about cops, or people simply wouldn't watch. Because nothing would ever happen.

Realistic characters aren't firm-chinned heroes, OR anti-heroes who kick ass and take names either. They're BORING! Who wants to read a story about a teacher who likes pottery and gardening, and has a dowdy girlfriend with an overbite. We watch them watch TV, and go out for dinner (always the same place) and go home to sleep without fucking more than 3 times a month.

So why are interesting characters disproportionately rich? Because they don't have to be tied to a boring fucking job 40 hours a week. Why are they handsome, or beautiful? Because then they get to meet and fuck other beautiful people, and we get to live vicariously through them.

Why can't bad guys shoot? Because then our rich/handsome/determined detective would die in some routine case, and be replaced by some shlub with a toupee and ingrown toe-nails. Why do bad guys always know where the good guys are going? Because otherwise the chase/action scenes wouldn't have any drama to them.

Etc etc etc.

So I don't know the answer. There's not an easy one. It's subjective as hell. Tell me a good story, but keep it logically consistent, and keep the characters motivated by the surroundings YOU put them in Mr. Author! Be a bit realistic, but don't bore me. Don't make it too saccharine, but don't overwhelm me with too much horrible shit either!

We don't ask for much. :)

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, Dany needs those attacking slaver ships for troop transport, so she needs to try to control the dragons so that only a few ships get burned, and the remainder of the slaver fleet probably gets taken by Yara & Theon's fleet.

But Theon's uncle said that he was going to raise an additional fleet of ships and go help the Mother of Dragons transport her army across the water. Of course he also said that he was going to form an alliance by marrying her, which I don't see happening, but I don't necessarily see the need to save the slaver ships. I could see the majority of them burning up next week.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, sorry, not buying it. He gets distracted by passing squirrels. Every time I see another fantasy book on the shelves with GRRM's one sentence review on the cover, I want to scream, 'Write your own damn book!"

So far I've resisted.

And sure, they're wiping out whole storylines, merging others, moving stuff along, that goes without saying. Radically different outcomes for the core group? Sorry, not buying it. The showrunners worship GRRM. They're not changing bedrock stuff.
I'm betting the show finishes before he finishes Winds of Winter. And forget seeing A Dream of Spring anytime this decade.