• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game of Thrones

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No can do. Like I say the series is starting to lose me.

That happens to me too. I dropped out on Jordan's Wheel of Time series after four or so, because he was just milking it.

So I get quitting books. I just can't understand quitting the books BECAUSE of some scene from the TV show. The undead fighting wouldn't be cribbed from zombie movies btw, it would be from the 'Chronicles of Prydain' by Lloyd Alexander, which was the source material for Disney's awful attempt at 'The Black Cauldron.'

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has he gotten light-years better? Because I read some of his stuff probably fifteen years back and it was trash. Sophmoric, awful female characters, just bad.

I like military sci-fi. Trying to figure out who David Gunn is, apparently that's a pen name. Dan Abnett is solid. Of course old school stuff like Haldeman's 'Forever War.' I highly recommend Richard Morgan's 'Altered Carbon' series. Not all that traditional though.

Personal taste is personal taste I guess. I love the Posleen series. I ploughed through them. As a rule I'm not overly concerned about female characters. As they moved down the timeline and started with the family tree stuff I lost interest.

But I loved the premise of the Posleen series. War like Earthlings saving the day for peacenik aliens with technology.

Last edited:

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That happens to me too. I dropped out on Jordan's Wheel of Time series after four or so, because he was just milking it.

So I get quitting books. I just can't understand quitting the books BECAUSE of some scene from the TV show. The undead fighting wouldn't be cribbed from zombie movies btw, it would be from the 'Chronicles of Prydain' by Lloyd Alexander, which was the source material for Disney's awful attempt at 'The Black Cauldron.'

Not what I meant. It was the over all speed and crawling on tunnel roofs and whatnot. Just a blur of action. Shit CGI. Which made me think of 28 Days Later and the high speed attack shit going on. And they weren't even undead or zombies, just infected types.

Anyway, I'll watch the show, but I'm not lining up to buy the book. And I'll never quit getting books. Reading something on paper is much better for you than a blinking LED screen before bed. You don't get all amped up on electrons.....

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shit CGI.

Meh. For TV it's top notch. If they had a movie budget, it would be better. But they don't.

People don't get how unlikely it was for the show to even get made in the first place. Kids, animals, and battles, AND four or five shooting locations? For a genre series?

It was almost laughable.

You're an old guy. Think back to how fvcking cheesy fantasy MOVIES were until LOTR.

Now people complain about CGI in a TV show.

It's funny.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a rule I'm not overly concerned about female characters.

Why? Characters are characters. Write them well if they're fucking talking badgers.

Take the Star Wars movies. George Lucas can't write female characters to save his life. So when he actually got famous enough to write those scenes with women in them, they sucked donkey balls.

And it has nothing to do specifically with them being female or not. If some female writer only wrote male characters as foils to move along the actions of her female protagonist, I'd call that bullshvt as well.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? Characters are characters. Write them well if they're fucking talking badgers.

Take the Star Wars movies. George Lucas can't write female characters to save his life. So when he actually got famous enough to write those scenes with women in them, they sucked donkey balls.

And it has nothing to do specifically with them being female or not. If some female writer only wrote male characters as foils to move along the actions of her female protagonist, I'd call that bullshvt as well.

You should call it bullshit then.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. For TV it's top notch. If they had a movie budget, it would be better. But they don't.

People don't get how unlikely it was for the show to even get made in the first place. Kids, animals, and battles, AND four or five shooting locations? For a genre series?

It was almost laughable.

You're an old guy. Think back to how fvcking cheesy fantasy MOVIES were until LOTR.

Now people complain about CGI in a TV show.

It's funny.

It isn't CGI necessarily, although I do prefer real.

It's that those tunnel roof crawling scenes are bad CGI. Just a bunch of stuff.

In my opinion.

My eyes are good.

And I do recall the first Clash of the Titans, and such.....

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should call it bullshit then.

I will, first time I come across it. Don't see a lot of Hollywood scripts with Andrea Dworkin's name on them. Surprising I know.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn't CGI necessarily, although I do prefer real.

It's that those tunnel roof crawling scenes are bad CGI. Just a bunch of stuff.

In my opinion.

My eyes are good.

And I do recall the first Clash of the Titans, and such.....

COTT was stop motion - Ray Harryhausen. Name a GOOD fantasy genre film before LOTR. And you don't get Ladyhawke. Go.

You have to have CGI in fantasy Hank. Dragons don't exist. A guy in a dragon suit won't be better than the worst CGI out there. Or a dragon model ala the old King Kong movies.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
COTT was stop motion - Ray Harryhausen. Name a GOOD fantasy genre film before LOTR. And you don't get Ladyhawke. Go.

You have to have CGI in fantasy Hank. Dragons don't exist. A guy in a dragon suit won't be better than the worst CGI out there. Or a dragon model ala the old King Kong movies.

Maybe that goofy one with Tom Cruise.... With the guy wearing big horns, but that's iffy at best.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Legend.

Labyrinth was pretty good too.

Never Ending Story.

I'm getting old as dirt. So in the 80's I was finishing up high school, and off to post secondary. Loved genre stuff, but wanted stuff for adults. So yeah, you could go 'Willow' too in that 'aimed at kids and secondarily adults' market, but at the time I kinda' grudgingly liked some of that stuff.

I'd probably add in 'Excalibur,' to your list.

But given the time frame until LOTR, it's not exactly a populated list of good fantasy movies. And God Bless Jim Henson, but puppets standing in for 'real' creatures was thankfully just a bridge to better options.

And to be clear, I take a larger point from Hank's post - that there is definitely horrible CGI out there. Or just overdone CGI (case in point, 'God's of Egypt,' and what looks like to be spectacularly awful, the Warcraft movie.
But for a TV show, and for TV show budgets, the special FX in GOT has been pretty freaking fantastic.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I understand completely and I know all about Harryhausen which is why I mentioned it.

For the record I loved Legend.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just checked the TV listings and there's a new episode this week! :yes: Normally they've been taking Memorial Day weekend off. From the episode description, the Lannister/Tyrell showdown with the High Sparrow is going down this week

Rebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i just cant get into dany's storyline anymore.