• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game of Thrones

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty interesting how far they have deviated from the books concerning the Iron Island folks.

The show has played fast and loose with time lapsing for events, but I really hope they don't have Euron building a massive navy in the next episode or two. That would really be going too far.

Yeah they're really plowing through that Iron Islands story line. Looks like Asha's character is being merged with Victarion and I guess the priest was supposed to be Aeron but they didn't make much of him. Euron straight up admitting he murdered Balon was interesting. Not sure why they went that route.

As far as time lapsing goes, yeah they're going a bit crazy. This isn't a big deal but I think someone pointed out that Gilly's baby has stayed 3 months old for 4 seasons now. Fat Walda went through an entire pregnancy and that little bastard didn't age a day.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't think the show ever outright mentioned it, but it has been implied pretty heavily in the books. One of Bran's helpers in the books is a dead dude and he cannot pass the wall or enter the cave due to the magic barriers.

And we're seeing that dude next week!
I think the show will turn Coldhands into Benjen. Which I'd be okay with

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, basically the Children were in desperate straights and took the nuclear option.

What a great episode. And the ending...fuck. :( Heard that came straight from GRRM though, which is pretty cool. It makes way too much sense to not have come from him actually.

The lingering question for me now is:
Since Bran is now marked, if he travels south of the wall, can The Night's King just break the magical barrier on The Wall the same way he broke it in the cave? Maybe this is a precursor to the season finale and The Wall comes down? :noidea:

I think this definitely means the Night's King and Co. will now be able to make a move on the Wall. Whatever the NK did to the ground in front of the cave I think will be a precursor to what he does to the Wall, on a much larger scale.

Poor Edd is in charge, that Wall is definitely coming down.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah they're really plowing through that Iron Islands story line. Looks like Asha's character is being merged with Victarion and I guess the priest was supposed to be Aeron but they didn't make much of him. Euron straight up admitting he murdered Balon was interesting. Not sure why they went that route.

As far as time lapsing goes, yeah they're going a bit crazy. This isn't a big deal but I think someone pointed out that Gilly's baby has stayed 3 months old for 4 seasons now. Fat Walda went through an entire pregnancy and that little bastard didn't age a day.

I'm not sure what to make of the Iron Islands yet. The Kingsmoot kinda fell flat to me, and I feel like if I hadn't read the books, I would be totally confused. Euron still seems like he could be cool. Then is Yara trying to get to Dany before Euron? With a handful of ships? I figured they were going to directly merge Yara into Victarion's story, where Euron sends him to Dany. But she's running away like her OG story, only not to the Main land but to Slavers Bay. We'll see. It hasn't reached Dorne levels, but it's certainly something I've foudn myself not caring as much about as I thought I would.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And we're seeing that dude next week!
I think the show will turn Coldhands into Benjen. Which I'd be okay with

Oh, nice! I only saw the previews after the show, so maybe I missed the longer preview.

I'm pretty sure the books heavily implied that Coldhands was Benjen anyhow. Definitely a former Night's Watch anyhow

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what to make of the Iron Islands yet. The Kingsmoot kinda fell flat to me, and I feel like if I hadn't read the books, I would be totally confused. Euron still seems like he could be cool. Then is Yara trying to get to Dany before Euron? With a handful of ships? I figured they were going to directly merge Yara into Victarion's story, where Euron sends him to Dany. But she's running away like her OG story, only not to the Main land but to Slavers Bay. We'll see. It hasn't reached Dorne levels, but it's certainly something I've foudn myself not caring as much about as I thought I would.
Yeah, I am not sure we are supposed to dislike Euron. Balon was a fool and a horrible king. Killing him was probably the best thing for the people of the Isles.

Sure, Yara was there and is a good admiral, but with Theon renouncing the thrown, wouldnt Euron actually be next in line?

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I am not sure we are supposed to dislike Euron. Balon was a fool and a horrible king. Killing him was probably the best thing for the people of the Isles.

Sure, Yara was there and is a good admiral, but with Theon renouncing the thrown, wouldnt Euron actually be next in line?

That was supposed to be the whole point of the kingsmoot in the first place. There is no next in line, it goes to the most deserving.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was supposed to be the whole point of the kingsmoot in the first place. There is no next in line, it goes to the most deserving.
I understand that, but they made a big point of Theon being back and that if they stayed with the Greyjoys, Theon was the next in line.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty interesting how far they have deviated from the books concerning the Iron Island folks.

The show has played fast and loose with time lapsing for events, but I really hope they don't have Euron building a massive navy in the next episode or two. That would really be going too far.

While I tend to agree, I'm going to play devil's advocate here. The new king of the Iron Islands basically told everyone under his rule to make their sole purpose in life to build more ships. So without knowing exactly how many people he has under his command it's hard to say what the expectation should be for how long it should take to build 1000 ships. And these are Iron Islanders, all of whom seem to know a thing or 2 about ships. While shipbuilding might not be the #1 trade for each and every one of them, it seems most, if not all, would be able to contribute in some way.

Plus it's always hard to tell how much time passes between episodes as lots of stuff seems to get done in a hurry and characters appear all over the place, sometimes within the same episode. As previously mentioned, Gilly's baby still being a baby is where things fall apart a bit though. They better be on land by the next time we see them (seeing as how well travelled some other characters have been in the meantime) and he better be walking by that time.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I had watched with subtitles and the subtitles indicated that character was named Aeron. But yeah they didn't really make much of him and if they hadn't made it clear by now on the show who he is, I don't expect them to do so. Not sure if that's the same actor or intended to be the same character that performed the ritual (shown in less detail) on Theon back in season 2 or not. Also he looks way older than Euron. Although if I remember correctly Euron was the 2nd oldest Greyjoy brother, younger only than Balon. I guess it doesn't really matter who is older than who though.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I tend to agree, I'm going to play devil's advocate here. The new king of the Iron Islands basically told everyone under his rule to make their sole purpose in life to build more ships. So without knowing exactly how many people he has under his command it's hard to say what the expectation should be for how long it should take to build 1000 ships. And these are Iron Islanders, all of whom seem to know a thing or 2 about ships. While shipbuilding might not be the #1 trade for each and every one of them, it seems most, if not all, would be able to contribute in some way.

Plus it's always hard to tell how much time passes between episodes as lots of stuff seems to get done in a hurry and characters appear all over the place, sometimes within the same episode. As previously mentioned, Gilly's baby still being a baby is where things fall apart a bit though. They better be on land by the next time we see them (seeing as how well travelled some other characters have been in the meantime) and he better be walking by that time.

I'm fine with an accelerated process. However building building a navy in time for them to reach Mereen at or near when Theon gets there would be more than a ludicrous. First, there would be easier ways to invent a delay than taking all the ships. Second, that is just too much off camera magic.

The Gilly thing is largely irrelevant to the story. Sure the baby should have aged but it is hardly critical to the story that the baby is older. That is more an anachronism than a plot breakdown.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,900.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I was more sad seeing yet another dire wolf die than Hodor, but both sucked.

Season is half over now and all of these story lines are sure making it feel like it won't be a dull second half.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I was more sad seeing yet another dire wolf die than Hodor, but both sucked.

Season is half over now and all of these story lines are sure making it feel like it won't be a dull second half.

Summer and Hodor were Bran's 2 go-to warging hosts. I wonder what he's going to do now. Maybe Warg into Ghost if he makes it to The Wall and Ghost is there?

Rebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Summer and Hodor were Bran's 2 go-to warging hosts. I wonder what he's going to do now. Maybe Warg into Ghost if he makes it to The Wall and Ghost is there?
Depends on how far he goes south of the wall. Probably dumb but Nymeria is still out there somewhere. I can't imagine Ghost being left at the wall.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on how far he goes south of the wall. Probably dumb but Nymeria is still out there somewhere. I can't imagine Ghost being left at the wall.

Ghost will go wherever Jon goes for sure. I wasn't sure if Jon was leaving the Wall for good or not last episode but now that I think of it, he did give Ed a hug so that suggests he's probably not going back anytime soon so Ghost wouldn't be there either.

Rebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ghost will go wherever Jon goes for sure. I wasn't sure if Jon was leaving the Wall for good or not last episode but now that I think of it, he did give Ed a hug so that suggests he's probably not going back anytime soon so Ghost wouldn't be there either.
I think they're gone for good as well. Kind of like Stannis marching forward in either victory or defeat at the end of last season.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oooh, I think Euron is going to pay dearly down the road for the Theon cock jokes.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they're gone for good as well. Kind of like Stannis marching forward in either victory or defeat at the end of last season.

If there's a Wall to come back to, I think he'll definitely be back. He knows what's coming and that it needs to be stopped........... but I don't think there will be a Wall after episode 10.