• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game of Thrones

Simmion

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soooo... I am one of those who haven't watched a lick, and never click on a story for spoilers except the one young dude. How much am I missing out? I think I want to watch it all (but I know my wife will hate the nudity, she is that old school... ya know). Yes I am asking the hoop. should I start?

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's going to take a bit of an investment in time. The reason is due to the large scope of the show--- you see, there are A LOT of characters, plus A LOT of hopping around from location to location throughout the world.

So... it's going to require a bit of an effort to keep track of the numerous characters and geographic locations along with the political aspects/affiliations of those people and places. In other words, you will probably need the assistance of some of the online Wiki's & maps... plus you will probably need to go back and re-watch each season a second time before progressing to the next season.... yes, there are that many characters and situations to digest! You will catch A LOT of stuff the second time around that you missed during your first viewing.

But... it is well worth the effort, because this TV program is top-notch!

Wki help links:
Game of Thrones Wiki

and

A Wiki of Ice and Fire - A Song of Ice and Fire & Game of Thrones

The good news is that the seasons are short at only ten episodes per season, so you should be able to catch-up fairly quick!

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soooo... I am one of those who haven't watched a lick, and never click on a story for spoilers except the one young dude. How much am I missing out? I think I want to watch it all (but I know my wife will hate the nudity, she is that old school... ya know). Yes I am asking the hoop. should I start?

I forgot to quote you in my response.... so see my response in my post above.

Simmion

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks. Not sure when I will see the person who has the series, but I think I will dip my feet into it.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If she is sensitive to graphic stuff she should probably skip watching it altogether.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wife doesn't necessarily like violence and she gets abit insecure over T&A ifI am watching something with her but she still absolutely loves GoT.

We went to the traveling exhibit when it was in Oslo 2 years ago. Got to see all kinds of cool stuff from the show. Took a virtual reality tour of the Wall. The actors who play Sam Tarley and Tormund Giantsbane were there. But the best part was getting to get our pictures sitting on the actual Iron Throne from the show!

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I got HBO NOW a coupla months ago and recently binge-watched seasons 1-5.

Yeah, I think this show is gonna make it. ;)

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We switched providers a couple years ago, about a week before season 4 and got HBO included. Binge watched the first 3 seasons finishing up the last episode about an hour before season 4 began. I went ahead and bought each of the books to read on my kindle app following that week and loved every aspect of it. Even read the The World of Ice & Fire: The Untld Hostory of Westeros to get the back story leading up to GoT. Now that the show has pretty much caught up to the books, it'll be interesting to see how they differ from here on out. I wish Martin would have finished the next book by now, but I understand all the time commitments he's had, especially considering the success that the show has added.

This will be another series that I plan to purchase a complete hardcover set once the series is complete.

Regarding the nudity in the show, it is pretty abundant in the first couple of seasons, but trails off in the last couple as the story as evolved.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.. Even read the The World of Ice & Fire: The Untld Hostory of Westeros...
Who wrote that?

By the way, there are some short stories before the series by Martin. Tales of Dunk and Egg or something like that.

Also there are some chapters of his next book already released. around 6 or so that you could dig up. I haven't bothered with it yet since the TV show is already past the books in some parts and completely skipped other parts. No real point for me. I'm already set to be entertained by the TV show with the realization that it's different than the books and will continue to be different.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who wrote that?

By the way, there are some short stories before the series by Martin. Tales of Dunk and Egg or something like that.

Also there are some chapters of his next book already released. around 6 or so that you could dig up. I haven't bothered with it yet since the TV show is already past the books in some parts and completely skipped other parts. No real point for me. I'm already set to be entertained by the TV show with the realization that it's different than the books and will continue to be different.

Martin actually helped write it along with those that started the wiki: The World of Ice & Fire

I've also read the novellas of Dunk and Egg when they were combined into The Knight of the Seven Kingdoms.

I haven't read the new released chapters of the next book, as I'd like to read it in its entirety, but I may give in before the show starts in a couple months.

While the books and show will differ, I'm still going to enjoy both.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Martin actually helped write it along with those that started the wiki: The World of Ice & Fire

I've also read the novellas of Dunk and Egg when they were combined into The Knight of the Seven Kingdoms.

I haven't read the new released chapters of the next book, as I'd like to read it in its entirety, but I may give in before the show starts in a couple months.

While the books and show will differ, I'm still going to enjoy both.

Yup! It's easy to enjoy both if you keep an open mind and don't dwell on the differences. I've been mildly disappointed about some of the changes the show has made but I actually really like some others.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup! It's easy to enjoy both if you keep an open mind and don't dwell on the differences. I've been mildly disappointed about some of the changes the show has made but I actually really like some others.

I haven't read the books but I've read summaries of them online (so maybe that skews things a bit) and I honestly don't get people that freak out over the differences. I actually think most of the changes work out for the best and streamline things along quite a bit. The only one that I could see being messy is Sansa's ordeal with Baelish in the show as opposed to the books. They changed that quite a bit. But everything else to me hasn't really been an issue. Diehard book supporters just need to realize that Martin's books are convoluted as is and you can't make a coherent TV show by doing everything verbatim. It'd cost too much, be too hard to keep a concise narrative, etc. TV just doesn't work that way.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't read the books but I've read summaries of them online (so maybe that skews things a bit) and I honestly don't get people that freak out over the differences. I actually think most of the changes work out for the best and streamline things along quite a bit. The only one that I could see being messy is Sansa's ordeal with Baelish in the show as opposed to the books. They changed that quite a bit. But everything else to me hasn't really been an issue. Diehard book supporters just need to realize that Martin's books are convoluted as is and you can't make a coherent TV show by doing everything verbatim. It'd cost too much, be too hard to keep a concise narrative, etc. TV just doesn't work that way.

I'm one that "freaks out" over some of the differences. Others I don't mind.

I don't mind the changes that are made in order to make it work on a screen instead of a page. I don't like (obviously) the changes that are made just because they would be too expensive, but I definitely understand those changes. The changes I actively dislike though are the ones where the writers change stuff just because they think they know better or can tell a better story than Martin. It's especially annoying to me when it's a stupid little almost pointless change, but it changes a whole character and everything about him/her.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are they hinting that Tyrion dies? Or is the face near the end the guy who was killed in Craster's Keep when The Night's Watch went after the mutineers?

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are they hinting that Tyrion dies? Or is the face near the end the guy who was killed in Craster's Keep when The Night's Watch went after the mutineers?

It is Tyrion. In that same shot were Daenerys, Sansa, Arya, and some others that are still alive. I don't think they are hinting that they will all die anytime soon, but simply teasing that they could die, and some most likely will, but not all. I don't think they would spoil anything like that in a teaser.

My interpretation of the teaser is that at first they are reminding us of some of the major characters that were killed off as a way of reminding the viewer that anyone can die. Then at the end they show the faces of the remaining characters as if to say "Who's next?" In between the 2 sets of characters you have Jon Snow as there seems to be some ambiguity about his fate. If what everyone is expecting to happen happens, he's a bit of both but doesn't fully belong with either group.

I really like that teaser but I wish they found time to include Tywin with a quote from one of his family legacy rants.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm one that "freaks out" over some of the differences. Others I don't mind.

I don't mind the changes that are made in order to make it work on a screen instead of a page. I don't like (obviously) the changes that are made just because they would be too expensive, but I definitely understand those changes. The changes I actively dislike though are the ones where the writers change stuff just because they think they know better or can tell a better story than Martin. It's especially annoying to me when it's a stupid little almost pointless change, but it changes a whole character and everything about him/her.

But are they really doing it to that degree? From what I read, I'm under the impression that Martin consults with them and is cool with it.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But are they really doing it to that degree? From what I read, I'm under the impression that Martin consults with them and is cool with it.

Not to a huge degree, no. But they have made a couple changes that really annoyed me. And Martin does consult, but doesn't micro manage.

As a for instance, one of the changes, maybe even the only change that I'm still upset about is the Gilly and Sam love story. Screwing her is a tiny little change, and doesn't change much about the whole story at all. But it completely changes Sam's character from the way he was written. Instead of being kind of a redemption story about Sam Tarly being disowned and sent to the wall to die, he comes to the wall and dedicates himself to something greater than himself. If he follows the rules of the nightswatch, then getting Jon Snow elected was the right thing to do. Protecting Gilly was the noble thing to do. Standing up to other brothers of the nightscwatch was in essence him becoming a Lord in spite of his father, albeit without the title. It's his coming of age moment, the high point of his redemption. It makes him a character you are forced to like and root for. Instead of all that, he protected Gilly because she had some tits and he wanted to get his dick wet. He stood toe to toe and fought his fellow nights watch, not for the greater good, but because he wanted to bang her first. It was him breaking his vows as a sworn brother and putting himself before the team. Pure selfishness, and it calls everything he's ever done into question. Did he almost single handedly help get Jon elected because he believed he was the best man to lead them? Or just because it was his friend? Just by sleeping with her they took away everything good he had ever done, and basically made him into everything most people hate in a person.

And why did they make that stupid little change? Not because it worked better on screen this way. Not because they needed filler. Not because it was too expensive to film it. But because some asshole somewhere said "We need some sort of love story or women won't watch this." THAT is when I get upset about changes, when the change is needless and takes away from the story.