• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game of Thrones

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that. I do. I'm not saying that I dislike the changes just because they are changes. The Jorah/Jon Connington change made sense even if it basically gives away that the Young Gryff storyline is a dead end. The Hardhome change, like I said, was good. Most of the issues I have are due to plot holes or just bad writing, at least in my opinion. I'd still be questioning this stuff if Game of Thrones were an original show not based on books.

It doesn't have to be perfect, there was stuff I didn't like in the first three seasons too. There was just much, much less of it. That's partly why I don't buy the time excuse. They condensed stuff pretty well early on, but to me it seems like as they deviate more and more the writing just gets more and more ridiculous.

Not sure what cringe-worthy writing there's been in the show. Given it's genre television, I'd say it's been top notch.

You'd have to expand on 'plot holes.'

And yes, sure, they condensed stuff easier earlier on, because he's added whole bloody families that the show doesn't have time to do more than pay lip service to. He's made self admitted mistakes, splitting the books so that you had whole books that were MISSING the favorite and best characters.

The TV show simply couldn't do this. And therefore had to work to fix what GRRM himself admits he screwed up in the first place.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I enjoy both a lot and for the most part really like what the show has done. The one change that really gets me though is with Shae. In the books she was just a pro trying to get rich. On the show it certainly did not appear that she cared about money. She was in love with Tyrion and also really cared about Sansa. That being said, I was fine with that change until they didn't change what happens to her at the end. She testifies against Tyrion because he broke her heart? Okay I can buy that, but why throw Sansa under the bus too? Why was she banging Tywin? Tyrion killing her because she slapped him a few times seemed a bit whacky too, especially since there was no mention of his true love Tysha not being a gold digger after all.

Inquisitor95

Unexpected Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a third of the way through Book 3 now. As someone who saw the show first, I have to say in this case I'm glad I watched it first. There is so much detail in the books that I can figure out more clearly and enjoy the differences between book and show better. And I didn't build up any huge expectations that I might have from reading the books first.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a third of the way through Book 3 now. As someone who saw the show first, I have to say in this case I'm glad I watched it first. There is so much detail in the books that I can figure out more clearly and enjoy the differences between book and show better. And I didn't build up any huge expectations that I might have from reading the books first.

Yeah I also saw the first 2 seasons before reading the books. I think that does make a difference as opposed to having read all the books before watching the show. I remember reading the first book and it being almost identical to the show (other than some flashback stuff) and wasn't sure why people were always going on about the books being so much better. Then I got to the 2nd book and there was some really cool stuff that happened that didn't happen on the show. But I still appreciate both.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I started reading the books after about Ep 2 of the first season. Finished all the books before the season was over. I really enjoyed them but I really enjoyed the show.

Except for the whole killing Jon thing which is absurd.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Settle down Ygritte.

<ducks>

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all men must die

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New trailer:

Scene by scene breakdown of the trailer:
http://io9.gizmodo.com/all-the-secrets-hidden-in-game-of-thrones-brand-new-tra-1763642181

Really looking like the theory that Jon Snow is a Targaryan bastard is true. That or the trailer is purposely trolling us

Some good stuff in the trailer (check the spoiler). My favorite non spoiler scene? Looking like we get some more Melissandre nude scenes. :whoo:

If there was any doubt that Jon is a Targaryan, it should be gone after last season. It got to the point that the writers were almost beating the viewer over the head with not-so-subtle hints and suggestions.

Looks like we get some Tower of Joy flashbacks and some shit will go down in the North as expected. I just hope they don't fuck up the Iron Islands like they did with Dorne.

Bran seeing the Night's King in vision looks like it could be interesting. More Davos stuff is also not a problem in my book. No Sam and Gilly in the trailer. I can live with that.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Same here, reading them now after being up to date with the series and really enjoying it, but glad I saw the series first. Some differences, but they make sense with how they would be shot (attack on kings landing for example). Love both but glad I saw the show first, makes it a lot easier to follow the characters in the book.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there was any doubt that Jon is a Targaryan, it should be gone after last season. It got to the point that the writers were almost beating the viewer over the head with not-so-subtle hints and suggestions.

Looks like we get some Tower of Joy flashbacks and some shit will go down in the North as expected. I just hope they don't fuck up the Iron Islands like they did with Dorne.

Bran seeing the Night's King in vision looks like it could be interesting. More Davos stuff is also not a problem in my book. No Sam and Gilly in the trailer. I can live with that.

The trailer alone gives a lot away about Jon Snow if you buy into the theory, which sort of makes me skeptical in a way. From the looks of it, my guess is the Night's Watch goes to burn Jon's body on a pyre like they do with all dead. But since he's got Targaryan blood, his body doesn't burn. Melissandre sees it as a sign of the Lord of Light and takes the body to revive him. Only thing I can't put together is why Davos would help. In the trailer it looks like he's guarding what looks to be Jon's body. And you know the flashbacks are going to be used to tell Jon's origins. I just hope it doesn't take all season to get through it but I kinda feel like it will.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While many assume the next season of GoT on HBO will confirm the R+L=J theory and Jon and Daenerys being major factors in the Song of Ice and Fire, it's time to place your predictions for the "winner" of the game of thrones.

Place your vote for the ultimate winner that will sit on the Iron Throne at the conclusion of the GoT.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming "winning" is getting the actual throne, I think it will be Kalesi. They have spent the entire series so far showing that she is a bad ass, but she actually rules with a heart.

The story, I think, is about how Jon saves Westros from Winter while Daeni saves Westros from itself.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-Dani on the iron throne.

-Tyrion the hand of the Queen.

-Bran the commander/controller of Dani's 'airforce'.

-Sansa rules the north under Dani.

-Littlefinger becomes the most powerful person on the planet as he takes control of the Iron Bank.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually don't think the Iron Throne will be a thing anymore when the series ends. I'm thinking everyone either bails for Essos because of the white walkers or the realm crumbles and becomes 7 independent kingdoms again. Or something else completely unexpected and messed up happens.

But just for fun, I'll give some predictions assuming the current political structure remains pretty much the same:

King - Jon Snow
Queen - Daenerys
Hand - Tyrion
Grand Maester - Sam (no more Night's Watch after dragons take down the Wall for some reason?)
Replacing Meryn Trant on the King's Guard - Arya
New members of the small council - Davos, Asha/Yara Greyjoy, a Martell

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually don't think the Iron Throne will be a thing anymore when the series ends. I'm thinking everyone either bails for Essos because of the white walkers or the realm crumbles and becomes 7 independent kingdoms again. Or something else completely unexpected and messed up happens.

But just for fun, I'll give some predictions assuming the current political structure remains pretty much the same:

King - Jon Snow
Queen - Daenerys
Hand - Tyrion
Grand Maester - Sam (no more Night's Watch after dragons take down the Wall for some reason?)
Replacing Meryn Trant on the King's Guard - Arya
New members of the small council - Davos, Asha/Yara Greyjoy, a Martell
A brother/sister King/Queen?

I am OK with your basic build, but the Bro/Sis thing wont work, I think...