• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game of Thrones

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm much more familiar with the books than the show. I've read all the books multiple times, but only ever watched the show once. Almost always live as it first ran. But the show has really shown us more about how the series will progress and eventually end than the books ever did. GRRM likes to throw in red herrings on purpose, and sometimes just goes into great detail as a by product of world building. The show on the other hand tends to show the viewer what they need to pay attention to and really has had to cut down and condense the story, so not much time for red herrings.

Lots of us readers thought Jon would Warg into Ghost. The show has pretty much ignored that aspect, so to non book readers it would feel very dues ex machina to "save" him that way.

Most readers agreed with R+L=J, but it was never an absolute sure thing. After all one of the other possibilities was that Jon Snow was actually part of house Dayne, which would mean he was eligible to wield the sword Dawn and be The Sword of the Morning. Which seemed pretty significant, and it's kind of weird to have built that much history around one family and them having a special sword that was way more special than all the other special swords. I'm not sure Arthur Dayne was even mentioned on the show, much less the Sword of the Morning.

Young Griff, was somebody that a lot of people penciled in as one of the "3 heads of the Dragon." Even in the books it felt weird to introduce him so late in the story if he was going to be significant. Obviously he isn't though if they didn't even put him in the show at all.

It really screwed up a ton of theories when The Red Woman left Castle Black right when we knew Jon was gonna get "killed" but the fact she comes back right as the deed happens pretty much confirms that. The big question is the cost though, since we've seen some divergent ways to bring characters back from the dead already. White Walkers make zombies. Fast ones though. Qyburn in the books it wasn't sure if Gregor Clegane actually died, but he definitely did in the show. He is brought back having "taken a vow of silence" and seems to just follow orders. Any orders? From anyone? We don't know everything. Beric Dondarion gives his life to bring back Stoneheart, but she definitely is not the same person she was before she died. Beric himself is given the "kiss of life" by a priest of the Red God, and actually had it happen multiple times. But he loses memories of his past life and states something like he was revived by fire, and Fire burns away all it touches. Or something like that.

So Jon is probably most similar to Beric, but maybe his Valyrian heritage can protect him somewhat from the fire burning away his memories. But I bet there is still some cost. And Jon did burn his hand in a burning curtain killing the first white walker zombies, so he's certainly not completely immune to fire the way his aunt is implied to be.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Jon is probably most similar to Beric, but maybe his Valyrian heritage can protect him somewhat from the fire burning away his memories. But I bet there is still some cost. And Jon did burn his hand in a burning curtain killing the first white walker zombies, so he's certainly not completely immune to fire the way his aunt is implied to be.
You jumped between the books and the show a bit, so I am not sure what you are referring to here.

In the show, when Jon fights the walker in Maester Aemon's chamber, he picks up a lantern by the sides and a slight sizzling is heard. But he never shakes his hand or even notices any pain (this is not focused on at all in the show, so I may be reading too much into the scene). I do not remember any "burning curtain" scene in the show, though. Was this just in the books?

Assuming he is Targaryen (no such thing as 1/2 Targaryen unless ince$t is required for 100% Targaryen ), the resistance to fire is still not a guarantee. Dany is 100% immune, but Visarys appeared to have no resistance what-so-ever.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You jumped between the books and the show a bit, so I am not sure what you are referring to here.

In the show, when Jon fights the walker in Maester Aemon's chamber, he picks up a lantern by the sides and a slight sizzling is heard. But he never shakes his hand or even notices any pain (this is not focused on at all in the show, so I may be reading too much into the scene). I do not remember any "burning curtain" scene in the show, though. Was this just in the books?

Assuming he is Targaryen (no such thing as 1/2 Targaryen unless ince$t is required for 100% Targaryen ), the resistance to fire is still not a guarantee. Dany is 100% immune, but Visarys appeared to have no resistance what-so-ever.

Yeah, I think in the book he throws the lantern into a curtain, and then grabs the burning curtain and throws that on the zombie. I guess in the show they skipped that step and threw the lantern directly on the zombie. Or I could even be remembering wrong. Either way, in the books he DEFINITELY burns his hand in that scene. In the show I thought he at least wrapped a cloth around his hand later or something, or they may show his hand wrapped slightly but not even mention it. In the book he focuses on it much more and how it may affect him since it's his sword hand.

As far as ince$t being required, I would guess not, but they do marry within the family and even brother and sister quite a bit to "preserve the old blood."

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,057.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if she will need more King's Blood. If so, I don't think sacrificing Shireen in advance won't cut it as many believe. Her sacrifice was to melt the snow, which it did. Things just didn't go according to plan after that. Would the Lord of Light acknowledge the King of the Iron Islands? I could see Theon being sacrificed (perhaps even voluntarily) to bring Jon back. Not hard to imagine a scenario where they would all meet up.
Theon isn't a virgin. The others blood which was used, were.
Don't need Kings blood to bring him back to life. They didn't in the brotherhood, when they rezzed the one the hound killed.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game of Thrones Jon Snow Is Still Very Much Alive - The Daily Beast

"Kit Harington is spotted getting off a flight in the show’s filming location of Belfast with his Game of Thrones co-star Tom Wlaschiha, who plays Jaqen H’ghar."

Could be a coincidence I suppose.
Well, seeing as both characters are dead...

Seriously, just because Harrington happens to be in an episode or two does not prove that Jon is still alive (or will become Ser Stoneheart or whatever). He could just be doing some flashback or dead body work.

I happen to believe (kinda strongly, actually) that he WILL be risen, but that is just my opinion.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jon has to come back to life or something. Otherwise an assload of the story was completely pointless.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jon has to come back to life or something. Otherwise an assload of the story was completely pointless.
Agree 100%.

But just because it doesn't make sense does not mean it will not happen. So much of TV today is based on the Out-Of-Left-Field shocker that I don't put anything past producers these days.

When all is said and done, this story needs to be about something. That something really should be how Jon and Dany save Westros from the White Walkers and from the Game itself. If that is not the case, than there really isn't any point to this journey.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree 100%.

But just because it doesn't make sense does not mean it will not happen. So much of TV today is based on the Out-Of-Left-Field shocker that I don't put anything past producers these days.

When all is said and done, this story needs to be about something. That something really should be how Jon and Dany save Westros from the White Walkers and from the Game itself. If that is not the case, than there really isn't any point to this journey.

That should have been the tagline for season 5.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, seeing as both characters are dead...

Seriously, just because Harrington happens to be in an episode or two does not prove that Jon is still alive (or will become Ser Stoneheart or whatever). He could just be doing some flashback or dead body work.

I happen to believe (kinda strongly, actually) that he WILL be risen, but that is just my opinion.

Whatever the case may be, seems likely that he is there to film. My wife sure hopes he is risen.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever the case may be, seems likely that he is there to film. My wife sure hopes he is risen.
She better use up a slot on her Hall Pass list if she is going to be talking like that...

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
23fe5e_d544bbf7f0434f4292d4ab46494c3f95.jpg_srb_p_600_700_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srb