• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game of Thrones

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone know if this documentary tonight is on all seasons or just the 8th? If it is just the 8th I have zero interest.

From the trailer below, it looks like the documentary is going to cover the 8th season only.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the trailer below, it looks like the documentary is going to cover the 8th season only.

An hour of D and D trying to justify their garbage writing? Pass.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that the show is over, here are my season rankings.

The first 4 seasons are on a completely different level than the last 4. My top 3 are pretty interchangeable. The only one I'm sure about in my entire list is Season 3 in the #4 spot. It's very good but my least favorite of the good seasons.

5 and 6 are step down from the first 4 but I'd say still significantly better than 7 and 8.

Fog

Addmin Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a bit behind in watching...

You-will-find-little-joy-in-your-command-but-with-luck-you-will-find-the-strength-to-do-what-needs-to-be-done..jpg

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The first 4 seasons are on a completely different level than the last 4. My top 3 are pretty interchangeable. The only one I'm sure about in my entire list is Season 3 in the #4 spot. It's very good but my least favorite of the good seasons.

5 and 6 are step down from the first 4 but I'd say still significantly better than 7 and 8.

7/8 mehhhh

4 is definitely the best imo. Next 3 are pretty interchangeable. I definitely think through the first 6 seasons, the even seasons are strongest as a whole(I’ve got the even season as better than the odd before it each time).

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shame it’s gone this way....but it is what it is at this point. It just wasn’t meant to be a story rushed to the finish.

No doubt

But can you actually blame the actors and show runners wanting to move on? 53 days in shitty weather to film an episode? The expectations of the show had outgrown what the product was going to be. No question 7 and 8 should've been longer but that's about it imo.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt

But can you actually blame the actors and show runners wanting to move on? 53 days in shitty weather to film an episode? The expectations of the show had outgrown what the product was going to be. No question 7 and 8 should've been longer but that's about it imo.

I think that’s some of the unique aspects that make this experience, while disappointing at the end, still compelling.

One aspect is that many show fans had their desired outcomes for stories and characters. That does boggle me as I feel this show gave plenty of hints not to get too attached (Ned Stark, Red Wedding, anyone?). And to that....I think there were some that took such an experience and expected more of it. “This show subverts expectation...so why stop?” Because....it’s next to impossible to keep subverting things and tie up the show any prettier than they did.

Another aspect....the expectations. Much like the above example of brutally subverting things....the ending was many things: contrived pap like anything else out there, rushed arc changes and lack of any developmental bulwarks we were accustomed to getting

Ultimately it was all about the timing. The rush to the finish. A decision made for many realistic and practical business reasons that never sit well with true fans. D&D really screwed the Landing. But I honestly feel, as a non book reader, that GRRM would (and quite possibly did) refuse to have a hand in such a quick and abrupt end....because even he would have struggled to turn it out any better.

Disappointing....but compelling....and likely a 101 class on any future epic series that will come along.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For me, I'd probably go:

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you have an oh, shit impact? I really didn't. I had hoped she would go up to Cersei and torch her. Instead I just shook my head as it went down. (Resigned) "well, she is the mad queen, now".

Maybe its all individual experiences. But that was mine.

I kept telling myself this is fucked up when she did it. I knew she was going to go mad queen-the scene with Sam and her getting no credit for the battle of Winterfell while everyone was high fiving Jon sealed it. But I honestly didn't see that coming.

Its a show with a lot of out of the blue wtf moments. The last two seasons were rushed but it's not the first time your jaw dropped because you didn't see it coming.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kept telling myself this is fucked up when she did it. I knew she was going to go mad queen-the scene with Sam and her getting no credit for the battle of Winterfell while everyone was high fiving Jon sealed it. But I honestly didn't see that coming.

Its a show with a lot of out of the blue wtf moments. The last two seasons were rushed but it's not the first time your jaw dropped because you didn't see it coming.
Sam?

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dany descent into madness thing wasn't done well but it didn't exactly come out of left field either. There were MUCH bigger issues with the story. For instance,

1) The entire battle plan at Winterfell seemed to be to put out the worst battle strategy possible but to still try really hard. That way they'd get everybody killed and still be able to have the Night King walk right through and then go out like a huge bitch despite him being the apparently embodiment of evil.

2) Because of how the Night King was killed the Azor Ahai prophecy making absolutely no fucking sense.

3) The other "major villain" getting fucked up by some bricks after Dany makes ridiculously quick work of her army.

4) Because of how Cersei was killed the Maggy the Frog prophecy making no fucking sense.

1. It's obvious at this point but the season was overly condensed. The whole point was to draw the NK out. More time dedicated to battle strategy would have been ideal but it is what it is. I have no problem with his death though. Sam and Jon killed WW's with one blow so its not like it's really that hard. You can call bullshit on Arya getting there so easily but the show spent time building her up as a master assassin so it's not unbelievable that she could get close to him.

2. I think that's a book thing. They abandoned the whole Prince that was Promised though so I'm with you here.

3. I wanted to see Dani roast her ass but it made her human. I'm really conflicted on if it was an appointment ending for her. I'd bet this isn't how she goes in the books.

4. The show only said would see 3 kids die and be replaced by a younger queen. The part about a younger sibling ending her is only in the books. Technically the show is correct (and that's the best kind of correct)

I get your frustration and part of me is there. The last two seasons were 13 episodes and the show deserved 20 at least. But it was a fun ride. I think part of it is everyone had season 8 and Endgame on the same plane going into it. One saga ended perfectly and the other fizzled. It's unfair to compare the two but personally I enjoyed both.

valar morghulis

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biggest plot hole gripe about season 8 is the inflammable wights in BOW. The entire series they went up like kindling when they touched fire and suddenly they don't all burn when it's convenient. I had similar issues in season 7 when dead people that couldn't drown suddenly decided an icy lake is a problem but that was needed for the story.

I'm guessing with numbers they could have simply overran the trench though so it's a small gripe.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my ranking order, also grouped as well

Excellent near Flawless Seasons
3 - Red Wedding & Political intrigue at its peak, Olenna & Tywin own it, it was the season that made it a flawless show
6 - Perfect season of building up momentum for the final act, Proof that fan service without fan subversion can work
4 - Very strong season, Purple Wedding, Viper v Mountain, first big budget major battle at the Wall
1 - Outstanding debut season that cleverly used budget limitations to focus on exceptional character/world building

Uneven yet still quite good at times Seasons
7 - Big Budget Special Effects were fun to watch, but it made it seem like a diffrent show, Michael Bay explosion season
2 - Pacing was very slow. Not much happened good or bad because they foolishly made season 2 all about Catelyn Stark
5 - Sand Snakes, Faith Militant, Arya sweeping floors, Hardhome, Sons of Harpy, made for a total mixed bag

Disappointing Season
8 - What more can be said? The acting, cinematography, music, and everything else was great as usual. But, the writers clearly wanted to move on, so they rushed 6 episodes of writing stupidity that almost devalued the entire series. Fan Subversion is stupid just for the sake of doing it.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Man, I get it, but have a tough time putting season 7 last.... One of the best season openings (Arya and the Frays IIRC?), and the battle of the gold train (or whatever they called it) where we first see a dragon unleashed in war is too much coolness IMO... One of the best shots of the whole series is the look on Jaimie's face when the Dothraki crest the ridge with Drogon flying low over them.... Was like, "Holy fuck! What can I do?"

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't find the documentary on HBO on Demand? Is it under the Game of Thrones category?

It's in the same category with 'Cake Wars', I think....

;)

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I get it, but have a tough time putting season 7 last.... One of the best season openings (Arya and the Frays IIRC?), and the battle of the gold train (or whatever they called it) where we first see a dragon unleashed in war is too much coolness IMO... One of the best shots of the whole series is the look on Jaimie's face when the Dothraki crest the ridge with Drogon flying low over them.... Was like, "Holy fuck! What can I do?"

"...we can hold them off"

<hears dragon roar, sees it drop from the clouds>

"...we're boned"
game-of-thrones-recap-season-7-episode-4.jpg