• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game of Thrones

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn straight I am. But actually I was referring to this whole other Iron Islands subplot that has been cut out of the show.

I haven't read the books. What subplot would that be?

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't read the books. What subplot would that be?

Stuff involving Theon's father, three of his uncles, and his sister. If you want specifics:

Balon Greyjoy dies, and should actually already be dead in the timeline of the show. The story is a gust of wind knocked him off one of the bridges between the towers at Pyke but there are a bunch of theories on what really happened. If you remember Balon is one of the usurpers Stannis names when he is burning the leaches. Anyway they have a "Kingsmoot" to decide who the new king will be and then a bunch of other shit happens that I don't have enough time to go into detail on.

I've heard they may be throwing them in next season but IDK how true that is.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how credible it is, but there is a theory among some book readers that Euron Greyjoy is already on the show but using an alias for the time being. As much as I'd love it to be true, I don't think it's very likely.

In the books they could have each of his supposed identities appear in 2 different locations, among 2 different sets of characters without giving it away right away that it's the same person. On the show, they couldn't really do that (which is likely why the "Arstan" storyline didn't happen) so IF the theory was correct, that could explain his absence thus far. But for it to have any kind of payoff they should at least have Euron mention, most likely by Asha/Yara.

Inquisitor95

Unexpected Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember in the "fry the leeches" scene, the three names mentioned were Rob, Joffery, and Balon Greyjoy. I assume they are going to deal with Balon at some point.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love this show. I love it even more now that I've started using the closed captioning!

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An old subject but I keep hearing people say that Jon Snow executed Janos Slynt out of mercy. I honestly don't believe that, Ned said "The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword". Janos openly disobeyed an order from his Lord Commander, the sentence was death and Jon had to follow through as Lord Commander, just as Ned did as Warden of the North.

I felt it was a great call-back to episode 1, when the deserter tells Ned to tell his family that he wasn't a coward. Janos screams he is a coward.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An old subject but I keep hearing people say that Jon Snow executed Janos Slynt out of mercy. I honestly don't believe that, Ned said "The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword". Janos openly disobeyed an order from his Lord Commander, the sentence was death and Jon had to follow through as Lord Commander, just as Ned did as Warden of the North.

I felt it was a great call-back to episode 1, when the deserter tells Ned to tell his family that he wasn't a coward. Janos screams he is a coward.

I never heard the theory before that he did it out of mercy. I don't believe it at all either. I think he did it for a lot of reasons both personal and business. Of course as Lord Commander, he masks it as all business. Not sure if Jon knows Slynt betrayed Ned in the throne room. But if he didn't know already, I'm sure he found out since becoming LC that Slynt was sent to the wall for murdering an infant bastard in a brothel. I can't imagine that scored him many points with Mr. Snow. Of course, that could never be an official reason for beheading him, as it's all supposed to be forgotten once he took the oath.

Also he's been a douche to Jon and Jon's best friend since his arrival at Castle Black. The same can be said for Alliser Thorne but the difference is Thorne backed up all his trash talk during the battle at the Wall. With the shortage of men at the Wall, Jon can hardly afford to dispose of a warrior like Alliser Thorne. Plus they still don't like each other but there seems to be some new found respect between the two. A former commander of the City Watch should have a valuable asset at the Wall too, but Slynt proved himself completely useless during the battle at the Wall. That's why Thorne got a promotion and Slynt was given an unpleasant assignment.

When Slynt refused to obey Jon, he left Jon very little choice, not that it was a tough decision for him. He had to show the others that that type of behavior wouldn't be tolerated. It also showed Stannis that he had what it took to be a leader of a bunch of former criminals.

Last edited:

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't waste my time figuring out theories behind stuff. Or anything resembling that sort of thing. I like it but I'm not a fucking nutbar about it.

However, I do seem to spend an inordinate amount of time saying "That wasn't in the books?" or "Where the fuck did that come from?", etc.

In fact it's almost to the point where I actually have little interest in reading book VI. Yet previously I could hardly wait for III-V. after I'd read the first 2.

I think it's time for somebody to do a proper Courtney's saga a la Wilbur Smith. African adventure will blow this hodge podge of combined story lines away in no time at all...

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heck of an episode tonight. Um, wow.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought for sure that wildling chick was going to turn out to be Val "The Wildling Princess". Guess not!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Season finale quality episode, right there.

A major battle against Winter. FINALLY

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit! I was standing up fist pumping like a mad man for the last 20 sec. A big fan theory was confirmed with the valyrian sword working vs a white walker too.

Seriously incredible stuff there.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit! I was standing up fist pumping like a mad man for the last 20 sec. A big fan theory was confirmed with the valyrian sword working vs a white walker too.

Seriously incredible stuff there.

So Valyrian steel is as good as obsidian it looks like. Who else has one? Brienne has the one that Tywin forged for Jamie. Do we know who has the one that was forged or Joffrey? Needle's not Valyrian is it?

Bunkamania

ESPN Defector
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really good episode this week. Hopefully they can keep that momentum going for the final ones of the season.

Bunkamania

ESPN Defector
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Valyrian steel is as good as obsidian it looks like. Who else has one? Brienne has the one that Tywin forged for Jamie. Do we know who has the one that was forged or Joffrey? Needle's not Valyrian is it?
Needle was forged from the dagger that the perp used to try to finish off Bran. It's been quite a long time ago but, I thought that they had confirmed it was Valyrian which is how they connected it to Sir Jamie?

Now that I think about it; none of that may be true. It's just been so long.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. First episode this season that really had me at the edge of my seat. I was wondering how all those wildlings outside the doors just immediately turned into wights, but I guess they can turn that fast when the Night's King is around? I mean obviously he turned them all at the end but he would have to have done that to everybody outside the wall as well, some of those wights were pretty fresh.

Someone already brought up Valyrian steel killing the Walker. Not sure why this reveal was necessary at this time especially since the dragon glass was in the hut, there was no reason for that Walker to be down there in the first place, and he could have easily killed Jon two different times but just threw him around instead.

As long as I'm nitpicking, the show is getting really predictable with some of these deaths. As soon as that chick put her kids in the boat you knew she was going to die and thus some shit was about to go down.

Also:

They are really driving home the whole R + L = J thing along with the fact that that little douchebag is obviously going to stab Jon. I mean, absolutely zero subtlety. I really hope I'm wrong about the stab thing, I'd just hate to think they wrote that little whiny crybaby faggot into the show just to kill Ygritte and stab Jon.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as I'm nitpicking, the show is getting really predictable with some of these deaths. As soon as that chick put her kids in the boat you knew she was going to die and thus some shit was about to go down.

Lol, yep. She might as all have said "I only have a week to go until retirement."

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Needle was forged from the dagger that the perp used to try to finish off Bran. It's been quite a long time ago but, I thought that they had confirmed it was Valyrian which is how they connected it to Sir Jamie?

Now that I think about it; none of that may be true. It's just been so long.

Needle is NOT Valyrian Steel. Jon had it forged by Mikken in Winterfell before the assassination attempt on Bran with the VS dagger. The King's party, along with Ned and the Stark girls, left Winterfell before that happened, and Jon was already at the Wall.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not many have them. Needle is Valyrian I think. Ned used to have that big ass sword, Ice that was Valyrian and got melted down into the sword Brienne has and some other sword that Joffrey had before his stupid ass got kilt.

That's it as far as Valyrian swords go as far as I'm aware.