• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game of Thrones

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have decided to go back and watch from the beginning again. I have only watched each episode once up to this point, so I thought it would be a good reminder. So far, I have watched the first 2 episodes...

Some thoughts...

1) It is shocking to see Jamie in these early episodes. He was the extreme bad guy. They really did a big thing in making him the "good-guy" Lannister (next to Tyrion, of course).
2) Needle is NOT velyrian. It was created by Jon while he was still a blacksmith apprentice. It is just a sword/dagger.
3) Very appropriate that Sansa was the first to lose her Wolf, Lady. The Wolves kind of lend credence to the Stark heritage. Theon was razzing Jon about not having one, then he found the runt, signifying that the gods favored him as, at least to a degree, a true Stark. Further, it was appropriate for Arya to send hers away, thus, in a way, hiding her true heritage out of necessity.
4) I totally forgot about the third (fourth) Stark son. Is he even still alive?
5) I never noticed Hodor until he became a "major" character last season. But he has been around since the pilot episode.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard it took them weeks to film the last part of that episode.

You guys think Ramsay will be successful on his spec ops mission? I seriously doubt if he'll be able to kill Stannis with the red witch by his side but she does say that he needs to sacrifice his daughter and we know what happened to Stannis when he didn't take her with him on his attack on King's Landing, so that'll be interesting to see in the coming weeks. When Ramsay goes on his mission, won't Sansa and Reek have an opening to light the candle? When will Brienne's storyline pick back up, will she learn about the war for Winterfel that's coming and decide to make a move ahead of the signal?

Lots of different ways these storylines could go.

As to why the white (wight?) walker didn't kill Jon, I guess you could say that the Undead King seemed to be interested in Jon and just wanted to see what he could do, if you really think about it the Undead King (don't know what the proper term for him would be) could have just jumped down and killed most of them himself, and he was watching Jon pretty closely the whole time. I think maybe he was just testing Jon. As for the Wildling Chick? That didn't make much sense, I guess it was for shock value? would have made more sense if she at least tried to run but the zombie kids caught her and ate her brains.

I noticed there were 4 undead horseman at the top of that mountain, based on the 4 horseman of the apocalypse perhaps?

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have decided to go back and watch from the beginning again. I have only watched each episode once up to this point, so I thought it would be a good reminder. So far, I have watched the first 2 episodes...

Some thoughts...

1) It is shocking to see Jamie in these early episodes. He was the extreme bad guy. They really did a big thing in making him the "good-guy" Lannister (next to Tyrion, of course).
2) Needle is NOT velyrian. It was created by Jon while he was still a blacksmith apprentice. It is just a sword/dagger.
3) Very appropriate that Sansa was the first to lose her Wolf, Lady. The Wolves kind of lend credence to the Stark heritage. Theon was razzing Jon about not having one, then he found the runt, signifying that the gods favored him as, at least to a degree, a true Stark. Further, it was appropriate for Arya to send hers away, thus, in a way, hiding her true heritage out of necessity.
5) I never noticed Hodor until he became a "major" character last season. But he has been around since the pilot episode.

I hadn't even thought of that, that's great.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,005.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From someone that hasn't read the books and really never cares if movies/shows follow them anyway, this was a purely entertaining episode. Maybe one of the most complete entertaining from start to finish in years. I can't pick on any part of it as really being boring or drawn out. Even the developing line of Arya wasn't bad. Who didn't love seeing Cersei broken down to licking water off the floor? Sansa managed to take Theon down another peg or two, and that's not easy to do with what he's already been through. Tyrion and dialog with the mother of dragons. Just can't get enough of those quality exchanges. But of course the central line of the episode was simply epic. Quality fight scenes mixed with great story development.

Most of this season to this point had been too slow with too much back story development and not nearly enough payoffs. This episode was badly needed.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Some thoughts...

1) I started watching this show a little more than 2 years ago and hadn't read the books at that point. The show was somewhere in the middle of its 3rd season and I was about half way through the 1st. Some girls at work were upto date and I heard 1 say to the other "I feel bad for Jamie!" I always like a good villain but this isn't type of girl that would feel bad for a villainous character. That comment really surprised me because Jamie was an absolute douchebag during season 1. Once I got to season 3 it didn't take me long to figure out where the show was at when she made that comment, sometime shortly after losing his hand. He started showing signs of being a good guy before losing his hand, but losing his hand seemed to humble him and he lost most of his 'bad guy" instincts with it. The only time I can think of when we saw douchebag Jamie after that was when he was talking to Loras at Joffrey's wedding and threatened him about marrying Cersei. Very few characters are 100% good though. Even Caitlin was a bitch to Jon.

3) Good call! There definitely seems to be some symbolism with the wolves. Sansa's wolf was the scapegoat for what Arya's wolf did to Joffrey (which he brought on himself). Similarly, Sansa was the Stark scapegoat in King's Landing for more than 2 seasons.

4) Rickon was last seen at the end of Season 3 as Bran and company were approaching the Wall. Bran sent Rickon with the wildling chick Osha to a location in the north with a Stark friendly lord. Whether or not he made it hasn't been made clear on the show. It will be different than the books but I suspect Brienne will be the one that bumps into him. Perhaps she did already and has the Stark banner men at her side.

Bunkamania

ESPN Defector
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really bugs me that Jon Snow didn't pick up that white walkers weapon. Maybe he did and I just didn't see it happen.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really bugs me that Jon Snow didn't pick up that white walkers weapon. Maybe he did and I just didn't see it happen.
It's a little tough to have your head on a swivel when you have a legion of the undead coming straight at you. Also, Jon seems to have a lot of trouble just holding onto his own sword.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So is Ramsay still the most despised character on the show?

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So is Ramsay still the most despised character on the show?

Right now probably. But one of the main characters is probably going to die or you'll be left with the impression that they are dying within the next two weeks to finish off season 5. If it's who I think it is, it's going to cause another nuke meltdown like the Red Wedding episode did.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now probably. But one of the main characters is probably going to die or you'll be left with the impression that they are dying within the next two weeks to finish off season 5. If it's who I think it is, it's going to cause another nuke meltdown like the Red Wedding episode did.

I get the impression you haven't seen the most recent episode yet as there is now only 1 episode left. In an event that wasn't in the books (yet?) I think 1 or 2 characters just skyrocketed past Ramsay after tonight's episode.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stannis is not worse than Ramsey. Ramsey is making his own decisions. Stannis is completely hoodwinked by witch-snatch.

If you are referring to Melisandre, well, OK, maybe she competes with Ramsey, but what happened in this episode does not change her standing. She has been pushing for what happened almost since her debut in S2.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the impression you haven't seen the most recent episode yet as there is now only 1 episode left. In an event that wasn't in the books (yet?) I think 1 or 2 characters just skyrocketed past Ramsay after tonight's episode.

Didn't see tonight's episode yet. West coast and I was hiking all day and just got home.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stannis is not worse than Ramsey. Ramsey is making his own decisions. Stannis is completely hoodwinked by witch-snatch.

If you are referring to Melisandre, well, OK, maybe she competes with Ramsey, but what happened in this episode does not change her standing. She has been pushing for what happened almost since her debut in S2.

She's no more evil than she ever was, and yeah I agree Stannis is not worse than Ramsay either. But I think tonight's events probably make them more despised by a lot of fans. Most evil and most despised aren't necessarily the same.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno ...

(without giving details)

That was some seriously disturbing shit. You just sat there praying it wasn't really happening and it did happen in arguably the most gut wrenching uncomfortable way....

Even the so called "reward scene" designed to pick you up after it wasn't at all satisfying. It felt like an uncomfortable distraction doing its best to take your mind off one of the most horrifying things ever on TV.

I am not certain there was really a need for the show to do that storyline in quite the fashion it did.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno ...

(without giving details)

That was some seriously disturbing shit. You just sat there praying it wasn't really happening and it did happen in arguably the most gut wrenching uncomfortable way....

Even the so called "reward scene" designed to pick you up after it wasn't at all satisfying. It felt like an uncomfortable distraction doing its best to take your mind off one of the most horrifying things ever on TV.

I am not certain there was really a need for the show to do that storyline in quite the fashion it did.
I disagree.

I think they wanted it to be disturbing. That is why we had the audio. We are supposed to realize that there is no redemption for Stannis, his wife, or Melisandre.

Basically, anyone playing the game is despicable, with the exception of Dany.

I am just excited to see what Davros does when he gets word.