• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game of Thrones

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost fell asleep during last nights episode... Quite the slow start to the season.

Sorry if that offends all of the book-humping GRR occult. lol

And no I don't need a lesson for why... Just callin it as it is

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost fell asleep during last nights episode... Quite the slow start to the season.

t was slow but all the curveballs they keep tossing in keep m guessing anyway.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Heard the first few episodes of the season were all about building the narrative and placing pieces.

Most of the storylines seem to be following the books (if loosely) except for Brienne and Sansa...I have no idea what that story arc is up to on the show so its been keeping me somewhat interested. There does need to be a little more movement and I'm sure there will be shortly.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,005.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least there was a beheading. That's something right? :noidea:

Yeah, it's been overall slow plot movements the first few episodes and that kind of needs to change fast if they don't want to lose grip on the more casual fans.

They spent too much time on the Mr Miyagi sort of thing going on with Arya. Not sure why we needed 10 minutes of why bri is so dowdy and looking to kick ass.

Still, seeing Snow take shape as leader of the nights watch wasn't horrible. Lots of subtle interactions in that whole exchange with Stannis leading up to him watching the beheading.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just really can't stand that little shit that is now Jon's steward. I was really hoping some Thenn was going to ride by and lop his head off after he shot Ygritte. But now I'm starting to think he's there and hearing everything Jon says to Stannis for another reason that I won't spoil here. But if I'm right it's going to be absolutely idiotic.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First 3 episodes were all about table setting...kinda slow for the casual viewer tho, I agree.

Ratings were down a bit again at 6.7 million viewers last sunday, but still easily the biggest show on cable TV.
The next few episodes are really going to pick up the pace I think. Seems we have all the pieces in order to turn up the heat.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,057.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First 3 episodes were all about table setting...kinda slow for the casual viewer tho, I agree.

Ratings were down a bit again at 6.7 million viewers last sunday, but still easily the biggest show on cable TV.
The next few episodes are really going to pick up the pace I think. Seems we have all the pieces in order to turn up the heat.
there is only 10 episodes. 3 episodes in a row to set the plate seems kinda long with only 10 episodes.

starting to feel like boxing where they take a round (season) off, saving themselves for the late rounds (seasons)

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there is only 10 episodes. 3 episodes in a row to set the plate seems kinda long with only 10 episodes.

starting to feel like boxing where they take a round (season) off, saving themselves for the late rounds (seasons)

What do you want? This show is known for killing off more major characters than any other 3 shows. But if they didn't make you care about these characters, it would just be like the random guys in red shirts who died each week on Star Trek. This show is still classified as a drama, it is still all about the plot. It's not somevroyal rumble where they just fight for the whole hour and then somebody dies at the end each week.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well at the start of this season everything was in turmoil. You had a major character die off at the end of the previous season, two major characters went off into hiding, one had just taken over a city and was learning the perils of ruling, and one had just survived a major attack. The beginning of this season was all about getting pieces in place...build up if you will. There's likely going to be a few major deaths, a few shocking trials, and some fun times dragon action in the next 7 episodes or so.

People were worried about this season because this is the point in the books where there is a major lul in the action...most of the character kinda wander around for a while. But, I like the way the show is going in a different route for a lot of characters to keep them top of mind and to keep some action going. Plots on top of plots, and finally they all come crashing down is really what this season is going to be all about.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not read the books, and I enjoyed the first 3 episodes of this season quite a bit. LOTS of stuff happening! LOTS.

Folks looking at the the first three episodes as dull or sleep inducing tells us quite a bit about our current culture. Almost everything nowadays in entertainment and marketing is about flash and maintaining the attention grabbing fast paced in-your-face style common in pop culture. Bombard the brain with flashiness and a frenetic pace... boom, Boom, BOOM! That's the sign of the times.

Not surprisingly, it's also the M.O. in our American corporate culture, and it's being ingrained in all of us... very effectively too... quickness, fast-paced, high energy, multi-tasking...speed & productivity, Speed & Productivity, SPEED & PRODUCTIVITY. Fast, Fast, Fast!

Damn... talk about burnout and a stress inducing culture!

Sad.

I am so friggin' glad I am a slow-paced, methodical, energy conserving, go-with-the-flow, low stress person. I guess that's why I decided to get out of the corporate rat race many years ago and become self-employed. Most of the elders in the paternal side of my family have lived well into their 90's, and I hope to do the same.

Everything need not be fast-paced.

Take your time, slow down..... enjoy the entire roller-coaster, as the climb-up the hill is just as fun as the adrenaline filled drop.

Enjoy a variance in pacing.....

.....and stop and smell the roses.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,057.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you want? This show is known for killing off more major characters than any other 3 shows. But if they didn't make you care about these characters, it would just be like the random guys in red shirts who died each week on Star Trek. This show is still classified as a drama, it is still all about the plot. It's not somevroyal rumble where they just fight for the whole hour and then somebody dies at the end each week.
well what I want is more than 10 episodes. :becky:
problem for me in these set up episodes, is I don't care for most of the characters targeted. I don't care for brienne story. Arya was kinda interesting when she was with the hound, but I don't read the books so the faceless people don't do much for me. I do like the scenario that is going on at the Wall. I typically like long movies because they can add plenty of details. It is not like I am needing tons of action or anything. Just something more interesting than the characters I don't care for. I don't care for Sansa either, but I do feel a bit disturbed that she is suppose to marry Ramsey. Hopefully this coming week, they will have Bronn & Jamie doing whatever they will be doing. I don't need blood & guts. You completely off base on what I want.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well what I want is more than 10 episodes. :becky:
problem for me in these set up episodes, is I don't care for most of the characters targeted. I don't care for brienne story. Arya was kinda interesting when she was with the hound, but I don't read the books so the faceless people don't do much for me. I do like the scenario that is going on at the Wall. I typically like long movies because they can add plenty of details. It is not like I am needing tons of action or anything. Just something more interesting than the characters I don't care for. I don't care for Sansa either, but I do feel a bit disturbed that she is suppose to marry Ramsey. Hopefully this coming week, they will have Bronn & Jamie doing whatever they will be doing. I don't need blood & guts. You completely off base on what I want.

I guess as a guy who read all the books multiple times I sometimes forget how much I hated book 4 when it came out. It's a damn good thing they didn't follow the books exactly. Brienne was one of the main characters in book 4. In the whole book, less happens to/with her than in the first 3 episodes this season. Cersei is another main character, and there aren't many less likable people in all of literature. Her brother Jaime is supposed to be a good likable character now, and is intended to show the dual nature of everyone. The not black and white, but grey characters. However all I see when I look at/read about him is the guy who threw Bran from a window. Sansa is about 500x less likable in the books. In fact she is pretty much a complete twat in the books, and she gets a lot of screen time in book 4. Arya is a very strong character, but the whole faceless man thing is extremely dark and depressing. You get to see a bunch of the iron islanders/ Theon's family, and they are a bunch of shits. What we don't see at all is Jon, Dany, or Tyrion. Or anything happening.

So I see where you're coming from. But trust me, it's 100 times better than it could be.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read a wiki on him to see if I could find anything about him dying Which I didn't, but damn that man is a bad ass. In one tourney he was Sole champion of Lord Steffon's tourney at Storm's End, whereat he unhorsed Lord Robert Baratheon, Prince Oberyn Martell, Lord Leyton Hightower, Lord Jon Connington, Lord Jason Mallister, and Prince Rhaegar Targaryen. Amongst a bunch of other bad ass shit he did. No wonder he is such a Confident old man LOL

And he gets taken out by a bunch of former slave masters. :L

Well now everyone knows where the rumors started as this was the last of the leaked episodes. I think Selmy is a goner but not Grey Worm.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally some damn action..

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And he gets taken out by a bunch of former slave masters. :L

Well now everyone knows where the rumors started as this was the last of the leaked episodes. I think Selmy is a goner but not Grey Worm.

Well, I tried to keep count, and it appeared that Selmy took out approx. 15 Harpy's prior to going down. That's a pretty good showing.

I like Selmy, therefore he will die.

I also like Bronn, therefore he will not survive this trip to Dorne.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Typical big TV fight...

The unsullied are supposed to the best if the best. "Ninjas", if you will.

Yet these former slave owners were able to wipe out scores of them. All except, of course, the one who lost his mask and we knew. HE was able to take out dozens of them himself.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Typical big TV fight...

The unsullied are supposed to the best if the best. "Ninjas", if you will.

Yet these former slave owners were able to wipe out scores of them. All except, of course, the one who lost his mask and we knew. HE was able to take out dozens of them himself.

They're not even close to ninjas. Think Roman Legions. They fight with shields and spears as a shield wall. The reason they are so good is because they were trained to such a cruel and impossible degree of discipline. I think they showed it a couple seasons ago when she was trying to buy them, the slave randomly called one unsullied to the front and had him stand there stock still as he slit his throat or stabs him or slices him or something. I don't remember the specifics anymore. The unsullied is a shield wall that will never break and run. Will never surrender. Will obey any order not just as individuals but ax groups.

The people attacking them were most likely the gladiators who had been trained in the pits to fight as one man, not as a team. And they attacked them indoors where their spears weren't good, and surrounded them so they couldn't form a shield wall. The fact Greyworm killed so many just shows how much of a bad ass he is.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The scene featuring Littlefinger and Sansa in the Stark burial catacombs underneath Winterfell was eye opening... especially when Littlefinger was describing how Daenerys Targaryen's older brother Rhaegar Targaryen (The Mad King's son) won a major tournament, and then presented the victor's bouquet/wreath to Sansa's aunt (Ned's sister), Lyanna Stark. Rhaegar Targaryen boldly ignored his own wife, Elia Martell of Dorne at the conclusion of the tournament to instead openly display his affection for Ned's sister Lyanna Stark... wow!

Then, later on, Rhaegar Targaryen kidnaps and rapes Lyanna Stark... which causes the whole damn war when Lyanna's betrothed, Robert Baratheon, overthrows the Targaryen regime.

Holy guacamole... the fan theories are probably correct--- Rhaegar Targaryen's r*pe of Lyanna Stark probably produced a child, and that child is Jon Snow!

Yup... Jon Snow is probably a Targaryen!

After Lyanna Stark is killed, and because of the widespread murdering of all Targaryens by the Baratheons & Lannisters, Ned Stark, in fear for the safety of Lyanna's r*pe-child, takes the infant, and claims it as his own bastard. After all, Ned didn't want the same fate for little Jon Snow-Targaryen as what happened when The Mountain (under orders from Tywin Lannister), raped & killed Raegar Targaryen's wife, Elia Martell of Dorne and her two legitimate children.

I think blind old man Maester Aemon Targaryen at Castle Black feels that Jon Snow is family, and that is part of the reason he likes Jon so much... heck, Maester Aemon cast the deciding vote for Jon at the procedure naming a new leader of the Knights Watch. And remember from a previous season, when Maester Aemon revealed/admitted to being a Targaryen in front of Jon Snow!

Here is some more info on this matter:

Rhaegar Targaryen - Game of Thrones Wiki

This was a fantastic episode!

Last edited:

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The scene featuring Littlefinger and Sansa in the Stark burial catacombs underneath Winterfell was eye opening... especially when Littlefinger was describing how Daenerys Targaryen's older brother Rhaegar Targaryen (The Mad King's son) won a major tournament, and then presented the victor's bouquet/wreath to Sansa's aunt (Ned's sister), Lyanna Stark. Rhaegar Targaryen boldly ignored his own wife, Elia Martell at the conclusion of the tournament to instead openly display his affection for Ned's sister Lyanna Stark... wow!

Then, later on, Rhaegar Targaryen kidnaps and rapes Lyanna Stark... which causes the whole damn war when Lyanna's betrothed, Robert Baratheon, overthrows the Targaryen regime.

Holy guacamole... the fan theories are probably correct--- Rhaegar Targaryen's r*pe of Lyanna Stark probably produced a child, and that child is Jon Snow!

After Lyanna Stark is killed, and because of the widespread murdering of all Targaryens by the Baratheons & Lannisters, Ned Stark, in fear for the safety of Lyanna's r*pe-child, takes the infant, and claims it as his own bastard. After all, Ned didn't want the same fate for little Jon Snow-Targaryen as what happened when The Mountain (under orders from Tywin Lannister), raped & killed Raegar Targaryen's wife Elia Martell, and her two legitimate children.

I think blind old man Maester Aemon Targaryen at Castle Black feels that Jon Snow is family, and that is part of the reason he likes Jon so much... heck, Maester Aemon cast the deciding vote for Jon at the procedure naming a new leader of the Knights Watch. And remember from a previous season, when Maester Aemon revealed/admitted to being a Targaryen in front of Jon Snow!

Yeah in the books they give us almost all of that information a long time ago, and give several even more significant details. They also broke it up into much smaller pieces so it wasn't quite as obvious. And I don't know if they ever actually out and out stated that Lyanna was raped. They are/were so vague in the books about some things, I'm looking forward to see if there is any other big info dumps like this coming up.

A couple slight misconceptions that I think need to be pointed out. Lyanna was apparently a very strong willed girl, much more like Arya than Sansa. She and everyone else knew how Robert Baratheon was, and I think he already had bastards, or at least slept around a lot. Ned Stark at a couple points thinks back of his sister and how much she loved blue winters roses. Most people who think Jon is the result of Lyanna and Raegar 100% don't think it was r*pe.

Also I don't think Maester Aemon has any idea at all that Jon Snow is a fellow Targaryen. He votes for him because he's the best leader of men. Raised by Ned Stark, volunteered not forced to take the black, all of his peers and the other recruits who trained with him look up to him like a god. Old commander Mormont noticed his potential and named him his right hand man basically. The half hand instantly liked and trusted him. Even at the beginning Tyrion immediately took a liking to him.

Making Aemon feel some mystical family connection somehow cheapens it. It was intended to show the oldest and wisest one there, the one who was truly above all of the politics and who truly put his vow in the nights watch first. He chose Jon because Jon was the best man from the Nights Watch.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,057.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The scene featuring Littlefinger and Sansa in the Stark burial catacombs underneath Winterfell was eye opening... especially when Littlefinger was describing how Daenerys Targaryen's older brother Rhaegar Targaryen (The Mad King's son) won a major tournament, and then presented the victor's bouquet/wreath to Sansa's aunt (Ned's sister), Lyanna Stark. Rhaegar Targaryen boldly ignored his own wife, Elia Martell of Dorne at the conclusion of the tournament to instead openly display his affection for Ned's sister Lyanna Stark... wow!

After Lyanna Stark is killed, and because of the widespread murdering of all Targaryens by the Baratheons & Lannisters, Ned Stark, in fear for the safety of Lyanna's r*pe-child, takes the infant, and claims it as his own bastard. After all, Ned didn't want the same fate for little Jon Snow-Targaryen as what happened when The Mountain (under orders from Tywin Lannister), raped & killed Raegar Targaryen's wife, Elia Martell of Dorne and her two legitimate children.

except it wasn't r*pe.