• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game of Thrones

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I was hoping for a more interesting conclusion, I'm glad the White Walker story line is over. In the 7 and a half season of this show, this might have been the story line I found the least interesting (although Dorne and High Sparrow are pretty close). As much as I didn't like it, I was hoping for a more interesting payoff about the NK's motives but oh well.

Also really disappointed that at least one dragon didn't die. I was really hoping both would die but figured only one would. Even with most of her army wiped out, Daenerys is still too powerful with 2 dragons. Hopefully they are on the IR and the next battle can't wait for them to get healthy.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do like that Grey Worm lived despite being #1 or #2 on everyone's dead pool list. A) Because I've always kind of liked him for some reason and B) because it seemed the writers actually managed to subvert our expectations, and not use one of the common TV/movie tropes, something they haven't been that great at since passing the books.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, shouldn't John be fire resistant like Dany?

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel this was the strategy used by the Northman with the dothraki wave.

FB_IMG_1556520359719.jpg

Reactions: gob

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole point of the episode seems now to have the Night King decimate Dani’s army so that the tension gets amped up as Cersei’s army appears ready to deliver the killing blow.

Because something like 90% of the episode appears to have been passed through 2 black filters, I don’t understand the battle plan. Bran wargs into a bird and flies through the clouds to... somewhere, where he does nothing.

Good thing Arya got pumped when she did, so that she could backstab the NK. The writing this season seems like crap, sorry. Too bad, Bernice, Theon, Lyanna Mormont, Ser Jorah, Rhaegar, Night’s Watch guy... you pretty much died for nothing. :(

Who is Bernice? And Rhaegal is still alive and cooking (somehow... I thought Viserion and Rhaegal died in the battle). But it was a garbage episode. All relevant characters were completely covered with plot armor. They'd be covered by the dead like 6 times and just be slightly bleeding. And it ended with the most insane deus ex machina of all time. This show has turned into really bad Lord of the Rings fan-fiction.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, just got done with the episode. I'm going to post a really long diatribe about this shit as well but here's the TL;DR version right up front:

There was absolutely some cool as shit stuff going on in this episode. But it was really overshadowed by the fact that nothing in this episode made any god damn sense.

Additionally, the Night King is the biggest bitch in the history of television villains given the build up he had. What a dog shit piss poor way for this to be resolved. And all in episode 3 where no one anybody gives a shit about died.

I think we can all stop watching now right? THIS was the big battle. THIS was the war. The big enemy was the Night's King. We all know how this ends now. There is no reason to do anything but read the episode summaries from this point on. I thought this season might be bad, but holy shit this is about the dumbest fucking thing they could have done with this show.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let’s confirm here...

Night King (and as a result, the entire WW ”race”)
Lady Mormont
John/Sam’s Night Watch friend
Joros
Theon
King flame-sword dude
Red Witch
Reaghar (???)

And that’s it.

Seriously?

Enjoyable episode and all, but seriously? Not 1 A-level death. Theon (maybe Reaghar??) is probably the highest profile death, and he is a lower B-level or high C-level sharacter in reality.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that was literally the worst thing I've ever watched. If I didn't have 20 years invested in thus series, or if I thought it was even a possibility that Martin would ever finish the books I would have turned my TV off and never looked back.

60% of that episode was a big blurry grey screen, with areas if darker black, and then some small orange flames in a corner. Couldn't see shit.

Another 35% was a bright orange fire in the middle of the screen, and the various colored blurs were shades of brown instead of grey.

About 5% of the time they would close up to somebody familiars face, but apparently after spending all of their money on extras, they only had enough money left to afford cameramen who had Parkinson's. Plus it was cold where they were filming, and they couldn't afford gloves for those shivering cameramen. Who coincidentally were all alcoholics going through detox shakes. Plus I think they might have even been having a seizure too. I've never seen a camera shake that much.

I always thought there was supposed to be one white dragon, one green one, and one black one. But apparently it's easier to make them all just a dark grey. When they're all flying around and fighting each other I had exactly 0 idea what was happening.

They built some fucking catapults and shot exactly one ball each.

Ser Jorah saved some of that teleporting magic from last season. Lead the charge of Dothraki, but somehow be the only survivor? Exactly where Dany fell off her dragon within 13 seconds.

Red woman came back mostly just to light the Dothraki swords on fire. Thanks, that made a huge difference. I guess she did light the 6 foot trench on fire. Brought a whole army of the dead to a stop. Until they learned to make a bridge with their bodies for others to cross. Boy it's a good thing zombies don't burn, otherwise that would have been a really really stupid solution.

Arya goes water dancer with her spear thingy and kills like 30 zombies in 30 seconds. Then she gets a bump on the head and decides to play hide and seek with the 7 zombies in the quiet deserted part of the castle that's in the middle of a battle. She gets bored playing hide and seek so decides to play tag and run away from zombies full speed through a deserted castle.

Thoros of Myr gets pulled down by zombies at least 3-4 different times while body blocking for Arya. He still gets up and staggers into the room before any zombies get to the door. (Writing this it doesn't seem as stupid as a lot of other stuff, but I remember it being ridiculous when it happened.)

Sam the Slayer was like "No! I'm not going down with the midget and girls, I'm gonna fight." Then he gave away his Valyrean Steel Sword. And as soon as the dead show up he just runs away screaming.

Dumbest of all is that DRAGONglass can kill white walkers and their zombies. Something about it having the power of dragon fire or w/e. Valyrean Steel can also kill them, because its magic from Valyria (where the Dragons and Targareans come from) some even believe it was forged in dragon fire. But an actual dragons fire doesn't do shit?

Theres probably more that I would have thought was dumb, but like I said, I couldn't see more than half of the episode.

Love everything you said. I was "WAIT WUT?" several times during this episode.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, let's start from the top and work our way down on everything good and bad in this episode. I don't expect anybody to read this, it's gonna be long AF. I don't care.

So Mel just shows up from.....idk where. How'd she get through the wights undetected? Regardless, she goes up and lights the Dothraki's weapons on fire. This act and the following act of the Dothraki charging by themselves begs a few questions.

1) It looks like the Dothraki had steel weapons. Why? Why are they riding straight at the wights as the first wave with weapons that don't kill wights? Obviously if they're on fire they work, but nobody knew they'd be on fire until Mel showed up.
2) If those were dragonglass Dothraki weapons fine, but in that case why did Mel only light the Dothraki weapons?
3) Why did the Dothraki charge by themselves at first and how did they know the wights were beyond the tree line where they could meet them in battle? Mel says nothing about where the wights are, so how does anybody know they're THAT close?
4) Why are they meeting the wights in the open field without trenches or something IN FRONT of them anyway? It makes no sense other than for the purposes of a cooler battle sequence.

Stuff is actually pretty cool for awhile. The wave of frost from the Night King to hit the dragons was cool as was the Unsullied standing ground to protect people as they retreated (although again, why did they meet this army in the field anyway?)

I'm curious how they knew Mel was going to be able to walk out and light the trench. The plan was for the dragons to do it, but I guess Mel said something off screen?

Regardless, why are there no ballistics INSIDE Winterfell? The dead just stopping at the fire trench and then eventually piling up on it to put the fire out was awesome but I'm not sure why they couldn't set up ballistics inside the castle to hit the dead while they just stood there.

All that Lyanna Mormont shit was dumb, but they at least killed her off in the least dumb way. There's no reason she should have been out there and there's no reason the giant wight would pick her up and bring her that close to his eye other than for the writers to let her die in a heroic way. The showrunners really seemed to overestimate that actress. She called Sansa Stark "Sandra" in the first scene she was in. She's not a good actress.

IDK why Jon just sat on the wall of Winterfell with that dragon for several minutes doing nothing but I guess that evens out the fact that the Night King didn't even attempt to hit a dragon from 10 feet away with his spear while he was fighting in the air. He bullseyed a dragon last season from several hundred feet away, 10 feet in the air seems like it should be easy.

So dragon fire doesn't hurt the Night King, but Valyrian steel does? Why? Valyrian steel works on White Walkers precisely because it was forged in Dragon Fire. This made no sense and it appeared to be an arbitrary decision by the showrunners based on the Behind the Episode. What the fuck. Dumb.

Speaking of the Night King's death, why did Theon charge him? Throw that spear dumbass. And even when Theon did charge, the Night King broke the spear and then stabbed him through his armor with the broken wooden end of the spear. Not even the tip. What the fuck. That's some shit armor Theon.

And right before the Night King dies, what the hell was Jon doing? He stood up and then screamed in that dragon's face. Why? Jon should be dead.

But the main attraction was the Night King going out like the biggest bitch in the history of television bitches. How in the fuck did Arya get that close? She didn't jump DOWN at him. She jumped from right behind him which means she ran by all the wights and the other white walkers without any of them noticing until she got airborne. Nah brah, not happening. The Night King hears Jon Snow coming from 30 yards away with no wights or bros to help him but Arya just runs right up while his full posse is there surrounding. Gay as fuck dude. Weakest big bad villain death ever.

Also, good thing the Night King just happened to have shit armor with that slit right where Arya's arm could reach.

I'll give the writers this, I didn't expect the entire situation with the Night King to get wrapped up right here. It was a stupid fucking decision and it really makes me not care about the last three episodes, but it was a surprise.

Maybe the Night King comes back or something and there's another twist. That would be unexpected at least but would still make no sense. Whatever.

Dumb AF brah.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the criticism is a bit harsh but I do agree they went a little fan fiction with that episode. Jorah was the big death but we had already figured he was toast with the greyscale.

I'm just mostly surprised to see the WW storyline wrapped up so quickly. And yes I was holding out hope we'd never see Jon jackass up another battle. I understand having the dragons chase each other around for cinematic effect even though they gave up the only advantage they had. Obviously any decent general leads with the unsullied and flanks with the Dothraki and has the dragons and the catapults do their thing from afar.

But then we don't get the cool flame sword scene and Grey Worm pretty much giving up on his whole group.

But yeah now we are three episodes left and kind of have a feeling of "now what" after all the build up.

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, let's start from the top and work our way down on everything good and bad in this episode. I don't expect anybody to read this, it's gonna be long AF. I don't care.

So Mel just shows up from.....idk where. How'd she get through the wights undetected? Regardless, she goes up and lights the Dothraki's weapons on fire. This act and the following act of the Dothraki charging by themselves begs a few questions.

1) It looks like the Dothraki had steel weapons. Why? Why are they riding straight at the wights as the first wave with weapons that don't kill wights? Obviously if they're on fire they work, but nobody knew they'd be on fire until Mel showed up.
2) If those were dragonglass Dothraki weapons fine, but in that case why did Mel only light the Dothraki weapons?
3) Why did the Dothraki charge by themselves at first and how did they know the wights were beyond the tree line where they could meet them in battle? Mel says nothing about where the wights are, so how does anybody know they're THAT close?
4) Why are they meeting the wights in the open field without trenches or something IN FRONT of them anyway? It makes no sense other than for the purposes of a cooler battle sequence.

Stuff is actually pretty cool for awhile. The wave of frost from the Night King to hit the dragons was cool as was the Unsullied standing ground to protect people as they retreated (although again, why did they meet this army in the field anyway?)

I'm curious how they knew Mel was going to be able to walk out and light the trench. The plan was for the dragons to do it, but I guess Mel said something off screen?

Regardless, why are there no ballistics INSIDE Winterfell? The dead just stopping at the fire trench and then eventually piling up on it to put the fire out was awesome but I'm not sure why they couldn't set up ballistics inside the castle to hit the dead while they just stood there.

All that Lyanna Mormont shit was dumb, but they at least killed her off in the least dumb way. There's no reason she should have been out there and there's no reason the giant wight would pick her up and bring her that close to his eye other than for the writers to let her die in a heroic way. The showrunners really seemed to overestimate that actress. She called Sansa Stark "Sandra" in the first scene she was in. She's not a good actress.

IDK why Jon just sat on the wall of Winterfell with that dragon for several minutes doing nothing but I guess that evens out the fact that the Night King didn't even attempt to hit a dragon from 10 feet away with his spear while he was fighting in the air. He bullseyed a dragon last season from several hundred feet away, 10 feet in the air seems like it should be easy.

So dragon fire doesn't hurt the Night King, but Valyrian steel does? Why? Valyrian steel works on White Walkers precisely because it was forged in Dragon Fire. This made no sense and it appeared to be an arbitrary decision by the showrunners based on the Behind the Episode. What the fuck. Dumb.

Speaking of the Night King's death, why did Theon charge him? Throw that spear dumbass. And even when Theon did charge, the Night King broke the spear and then stabbed him through his armor with the broken wooden end of the spear. Not even the tip. What the fuck. That's some shit armor Theon.

And right before the Night King dies, what the hell was Jon doing? He stood up and then screamed in that dragon's face. Why? Jon should be dead.

But the main attraction was the Night King going out like the biggest bitch in the history of television bitches. How in the fuck did Arya get that close? She didn't jump DOWN at him. She jumped from right behind him which means she ran by all the wights and the other white walkers without any of them noticing until she got airborne. Nah brah, not happening. The Night King hears Jon Snow coming from 30 yards away with no wights or bros to help him but Arya just runs right up while his full posse is there surrounding. Gay as fuck dude. Weakest big bad villain death ever.

Also, good thing the Night King just happened to have shit armor with that slit right where Arya's arm could reach.

I'll give the writers this, I didn't expect the entire situation with the Night King to get wrapped up right here. It was a stupid fucking decision and it really makes me not care about the last three episodes, but it was a surprise.

Maybe the Night King comes back or something and there's another twist. That would be unexpected at least but would still make no sense. Whatever.

Dumb AF brah.

Love all of this. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Arya give Sansa the dagger before the battle? When she told her to stab them with the pointy end? It would make no sense to give her needle, since it's just basic steel. So I swear I remember this. But then she magically has it when she flies into the Godswood faster than the human eye can see.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love all of this. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Arya give Sansa the dagger before the battle? When she told her to stab them with the pointy end? It would make no sense to give her needle, since it's just basic steel. So I swear I remember this. But then she magically has it when she flies into the Godswood faster than the human eye can see.

I thought so too, but she did have that double-ended spear thing that Gendry made her even though she gave him a drawing with no dimensions or specifics.

I assumed that's what it was until the behind the episode where the showrunners said it was Valyrian steel. I'd have to watch again to confirm.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
58581891_2482909885089018_7332345241195773952_n.jpg

Last edited:

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's with lots of folks complaining about not being able to properly see the episode images? Perhaps y'all have the TV energy saver turned on or are watching with the room lights on? I was able to see everything fine.

I learned many years ago to turn off the room lights when watching night scenes on TV.

Also, I don't have a top of the line TV either. I only have a basic/low end Westinghouse 1080 LED 40 inch non-smart TV that I purchased new for $160 approx. 2 1/2 years ago. Again, the episode was visually clear to me... no complaints... again, I watched it in a darkened room/lights off.

I enjoyed the episode overall but was disappointed in the Hound cowering like he did. Also, having Melisandre commit suicide at the end was strange/stupid...why would she do that?

At first I was surprised Greyworm survived the battle, but then I realized the unsullied will need him in the fight vs Cersei's forces (he will probably die at that point).

And the ghost of Ygritte is there going, "You know nuwthin' jawn snoo!!!"

Speaking of Ygritte....

In case some of y'all weren't aware, GoT actors Kit Harrington and Rose Leslie were wed last Summer.

kit-harington-rose-leslie-1529867103.jpg

One more thing......

Sansa and Tyrion...... hmmmmm...... do they put Westeros back together following the upcoming chaos & destruction?

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it isn't what a lot of people were wanting/expecting, but it's exactly what Bran told us. The NK wanted an endless night. Lure him in the open, and kill him.

I'm also ok with this story line being over. I'd like to know a little more backstory, but we're kind of past backstory time, anyway. The show is called Game of Thrones, not Fight Against the Endless Night. It's time to resolve the game.