• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game of Thrones

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, Interesting.

Far as the rushed plot-lines. I haven't read the books so I'm not tied down to any preconceived plots of what should or shouldn't be. The only one I thought was rushed somewhat was the High Sparrow plot-line. Up till the last episode he was playing chess while Cersi and grandma were playing checkers. He picked a bad time to get complacent or stupid. My only real regret about it though was the queen getting blowed up by dragon fire. She was true player for real.

My only regret about the Ramsey plot-line was that he wasn't skinned before he was fed to the dogs. He needed more torturing before death.

I was good with Arya giving Frey's old smelly ass a Chicago necktie. I wonder how/when Arya and The Hound hook back up.
Agree with most of your post. Except maybe the High Sparrow part. Obviously that asshole felt he held all the cards, even if he died his followers would carry on, except his followers died with him. Loved that part. Hated to see the Queen die though, because like you said , she was a true player.
Yeah Ramsey needed a worse death, at the very least have his cock cut off and stuffed in his mouth in small portions until he is forced to eat it all of it, then let his dogs devore him, but days later. Need to let the idea of having no cock set in first.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with most of your post. Except maybe the High Sparrow part. Obviously that asshole felt he held all the cards, even if he died his followers would carry on, except his followers died with him. Loved that part. Hated to see the Queen die though, because like you said , she was a true player.
Yeah Ramsey needed a worse death, at the very least have his cock cut off and stuffed in his mouth in small portions until he is forced to eat it all of it, then let his dogs devore him, but days later. Need to let the idea of having no cock set in first.

Oh, don't get me wrong. It was a sweet ass move by Cersi that only the Queen was smart enough to see. My fave part of that plot-line was Cersi's conversation with the female sparrow. "Die? You're not going to die today." Shame, shame, shame. I'm still not sure if Cersi thought the king would kill himself though it kinda seemed that she did. At the very least, she was prepared for the possibility.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, don't get me wrong. It was a sweet ass move by Cersi that only the Queen was smart enough to see. My fave part of that plot-line was Cersi's conversation with the female sparrow. "Die? You're not going to die today." Shame, shame, shame. I'm still not sure if Cersi thought the king would kill himself though it kinda seemed that she did. At the very least, she was prepared for the possibility.
Honestly probably the best move for the king. He let his Mother be forced to walk naked thru the streets and his queen to be imprisioned. He was so friggging weak. Also loved the conversation with the female sparrow, that bitch had it coming.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still not sure if Cersi thought the king would kill himself though it kinda seemed that she did. At the very least, she was prepared for the possibility.

The first scene of season 5 we see a flashback of Cersei going to a fortune teller named Maggy The Frog. She told her that her 3 children would die before she did. After Myrcella died, it seemed like she accepted the prophecy as being inevitable and started to emotionally detach herself from Tommen somewhat. Still I don't think she intended for him to die that day as she sent The Mountain to keep him away from the Sept. But when it actually happened she only seemed mildly upset. In her mind, she still won by killing all her enemies in King's Landing, even if it cost her her last child.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first scene of season 5 we see a flashback of Cersei going to a fortune teller named Maggy The Frog. She told her that her 3 children would die before she did. After Myrcella died, it seemed like she accepted the prophecy as being inevitable and started to emotionally detach herself from Tommen somewhat. Still I don't think she intended for him to die that day as she sent The Mountain to keep him away from the Sept. But when it actually happened she only seemed mildly upset. In her mind, she still won by killing all her enemies in King's Landing, even if it cost her her last child.

Yeah I saw that and I figured the same thing far as her acceptance or inevitability of the witch's prophecy when she told Jamie about it. Maybe in some weird way this will free her up. There's no longer anyone left that she really has to concern herself with far as losing them to death. She got Jamie to screw, the Mountain for protection, a loyal, trusted adviser in Meister Frankenstein and all of King's Landing scared shit-less of her.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I saw that and I figured the same thing far as her acceptance or inevitability of the witch's prophecy when she told Jamie about it. Maybe in some weird way this will free her up. There's no longer anyone left that she really has to concern herself with far as losing them to death. She got Jamie to screw, the Mountain for protection, a loyal, trusted adviser in Meister Frankenstein and all of King's Landing scared shit-less of her.

Yup. Or at least she thinks she has Jamie to screw. He didn't look too impressed with her latest move. After being dismissed from the King's Guard he might finally decide to head to Casterly Rock. Not sure there'd be much of a story for him though if that happens unless Euron's freshly built 1000 ships decide to stop in.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. Or at least she thinks she has Jamie to screw. He didn't look too impressed with her latest move. After being dismissed from the King's Guard he might finally decide to head to Casterly Rock. Not sure there'd be much of a story for him though if that happens unless Euron's freshly built 1000 ships decide to stop in.

Yeah, I can't see Jamie rollin with the punches like Cersi seems to be doing with Tommen's death. Jamie's saving grace will be Brienne. Unfortunately I think Cersi is headed deep into misery loves company mode and she's gonna fuck that up for no other reason than she can. I think Cersi and Jamie end up at each other's throat with one killing the other or in Cersi's case. Having Jamie killed.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow the sparrows get a rough ride with show viewers
Yeah, I can't see Jamie rollin with the punches like Cersi seems to be doing with Tommen's death. Jamie's saving grace will be Brienne. Unfortunately I think Cersi is headed deep into misery loves company mode and she's gonna fuck that up for no other reason than she can. I think Cersi and Jamie end up at each other's throat with one killing the other or in Cersi's case. Having Jamie killed.

The end of Maggie the Frog's prophecy:

Oh, aye. Six-and-ten for him, and three for you. Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds, she said. And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you.

Valonqar is High Valyrian for little brother.

Which would be both Jayme and Tyrion (some theorize that Tyrion was a bastard though)

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to be tiddy packed too.

Are we gonna see Sansa's fire crotch, or what?

She's actually a blonde outside of the Westeros so better have Melisandre do some fire god spell on her or something.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting news this week. Because "winter is coming"', it's actually pushing back production and next season may start later than normal. The producers have stated that they want the outdoor and enviromental shots to be darker to reflect "winter is coming". Filming schedule is being pushed back later than normal they can get a more fall / winter look to all the outside scenes around Westeros.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sucks we wont have Natalie Dormer or her amazing boobs on the show anymore, but I hear she shows up a lot on The Tudors, maybe I'll give that a look.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sucks we wont have Natalie Dormer or her amazing boobs on the show anymore, but I hear she shows up a lot on The Tudors, maybe I'll give that a look.

Dormer is hot as hell. She and her amazing royal rack will be missed.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow the sparrows get a rough ride with show viewers

The end of Maggie the Frog's prophecy:

Oh, aye. Six-and-ten for him, and three for you. Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds, she said. And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you.

Valonqar is High Valyrian for little brother.

Which would be both Jayme and Tyrion (some theorize that Tyrion was a bastard though)

Yeah, I can see Tyrion being the one to off Cersi and Cersi having dispatched Jamie via the Mountain. Damn, that poor female sparrow babe. Shame. Shame. Shame. And being a bastard doesn't negate Cersi and Tyrion being siblings.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they're rushing to tie up loose ends because there are only X number of episodes left, why are there only X number of episodes left?

I kinda liked the speed of the wipeout of the sparrow. Really went from Cersei on a tough situation to holy crap it's ALL hers now. They've done that with other character groups as well (Rob Starks army, Stannis' army) where things were looking one way then poof in 5 minutes that line is done.

I think it's the production time/cost where they want 7 great episodes a year instead of 13 good ones. That they are getting bigger and more complex episodes with more shoots and CG in them. They don't have the pawn stories anymore. Where they could do something like how Hunger games/Harry Potter etc stretch out the finale, but would rather go for quality over quantity.

I honestly like the pace they've moved to. I think going slow is fine to build your characters. But we know who they are now. We've seen Sansa for 30 episodes under Cersei's foot. We've seen Snow growing for 40 episodes, etc. Now lets see them take action. We don't need to see 20 minutes in an episode of this character or that setting their personality anymore, or a few episodes of introducing someone new. Once you make that call, it goes quick. I guess I am fine with that. And it does follow like most books. 90% is setup, the exposition the rising actions... The last 10% you have your climax, your final conflicts and your resolution.

You can read the last 20 pages and see 90% of the real action, but it doesn't have the same effect without knowing the characters in the first 200 pages.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shame. And being a bastard doesn't negate Cersi and Tyrion being siblings.

Nope, but it may be a clue that it'll be Jayme that ends her.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It would have been interesting to see what Margery was trying to plot and what the Sparrow's real end game was. Guess we'll have to wait for the books now, which is fine.

Side note: I'm still not sure what the point of tying Loras into the whole trial situation was. Felt forced and there was really no pay off for his character. He admitted to fucking dudes, relinquished his titles, and then got burned alive a minute later.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was why they were there, for his trial. To publicly strip him of land and titles. They go into it more in the book, at least in terms of history recaps where in the past, religious groups of the day had been given too much power, and the nobles had to use force to get it back.

In the books also there's scenes in book after book of the church and its people/property not being sacrosanct. Which they were supposed to be, in return for not being players in political conflicts. So you get Septas being raped and murdered (their breasts being cut off, them being hanged), septons being tortured to find where the local churches had hidden their treasure/artifacts/gold, even the mute women who take care of dead bodies being assaulted and killed.

So the original rise of the 'Sparrows' was to say 'enough is fucking enough with this shit.'

And then Cersi stupidly agreeing to give them political power for her short term gain, and (apparently we haven't got there yet in the books) starting to take to political machinations like fishes to water.

Anyway, it was the noble houses that were supposed to protect the religious sects, and in many cases they were not only not doing that, but targeting them.

In the show they cut out all this due to time obviously.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was why they were there, for his trial. To publicly strip him of land and titles. They go into it more in the book, at least in terms of history recaps where in the past, religious groups of the day had been given too much power, and the nobles had to use force to get it back.

In the books also there's scenes in book after book of the church and its people/property not being sacrosanct. Which they were supposed to be, in return for not being players in political conflicts. So you get Septas being raped and murdered (their breasts being cut off, them being hanged), septons being tortured to find where the local churches had hidden their treasure/artifacts/gold, even the mute women who take care of dead bodies being assaulted and killed.

So the original rise of the 'Sparrows' was to say 'enough is fucking enough with this shit.'

And then Cersi stupidly agreeing to give them political power for her short term gain, and (apparently we haven't got there yet in the books) starting to take to political machinations like fishes to water.

Anyway, it was the noble houses that were supposed to protect the religious sects, and in many cases they were not only not doing that, but targeting them.

In the show they cut out all this due to time obviously.

Well, they were there for his trial AND Cersei's trial. They didn't need him to be accused to set that whole thing up, which is why I'm wondering why they had him imprisoned at all. If they needed to kill him to ensure Highgarden had no heir, why not just send him off to take back Dragonstone like in the books and have him die there? They didn't seem to have a problem killing characters off-screen this season.

If they needed a reason for Margery to be imprisoned, just use the one from the books. Cersei accusing Margery of adultery and treason makes more sense than "Loras' squire saw his butt, therefore he's gay. And since you knew about it, get in the cell."

They could have easily just stuck to the script and it would have made more sense. Instead there's no payoff for all the shuffling and we get what I assume was supposed to be some "deep" social commentary about how it's not right for religious people to hate gays.

And it's funny ( I think I've mentioned this before), because in doing all that they basically solidify Loras as just some pretty-boy token gay character who sulks around after his boyfriend dies and then gets thrown in prison where he basically gives up on life. In the books there's a lot more depth there. His whole purpose isn't just to be the gay guy. He's a member of the King's Guard, a great swordsman, kind of a mentor to Tommen, and he ends up presumably giving his life to take back Dragonstone.

That's the point I guess, that the one change kind of shat on Loras as a character and I just didn't see why they had to do it. It's nit-picking obviously as it had no real effect on the story, but the change was unnecessary IMO and really took away more than it added.

As far as everything you wrote about the church, they did touch on it a bit in the show and I thought it came through clear enough. Whether or not all that clicked for someone who didn't read the books, I don't know. But whatever they skipped over was fine considering how they ended the High Sparrow story line.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kinda liked the speed of the wipeout of the sparrow. Really went from Cersei on a tough situation to holy crap it's ALL hers now. They've done that with other character groups as well (Rob Starks army, Stannis' army) where things were looking one way then poof in 5 minutes that line is done.

I think it's the production time/cost where they want 7 great episodes a year instead of 13 good ones. That they are getting bigger and more complex episodes with more shoots and CG in them. They don't have the pawn stories anymore. Where they could do something like how Hunger games/Harry Potter etc stretch out the finale, but would rather go for quality over quantity.

I honestly like the pace they've moved to. I think going slow is fine to build your characters. But we know who they are now. We've seen Sansa for 30 episodes under Cersei's foot. We've seen Snow growing for 40 episodes, etc. Now lets see them take action. We don't need to see 20 minutes in an episode of this character or that setting their personality anymore, or a few episodes of introducing someone new. Once you make that call, it goes quick. I guess I am fine with that. And it does follow like most books. 90% is setup, the exposition the rising actions... The last 10% you have your climax, your final conflicts and your resolution.

You can read the last 20 pages and see 90% of the real action, but it doesn't have the same effect without knowing the characters in the first 200 pages.

Yup. Which also means we don't need for it to take 3 episodes for a character to get from Point A to Point B. Those trips can just be assumed to have been uneventful and it's usually reasonable to assume that an appropriate amount of time has passed (questionnable. In earlier seasons there they could gives us some travelling scenes (that were otherwise uneventful) with some character building dialogue, or maybe some dialogue pertaining to the history of the realm. That's not really needed anymore at this point and would likely mostly be perceived as filler.