• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game #5 - Clemson at Virginia Tech

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just want to know what the hell is up with a 6pm kick? West coast games that start at 9 30 are killing us.

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have thus far refrained from posting here, mainly because I figured any attempts to add my obvious dissent would probably be seen as trolling, but this post...

I'm not sure if the poster has actually watched any of our games, but I'll assume you haven't. We're not just a one trick pony on offense like we were the previous meetings with Spiller/Ford/Davis/Overrated QB; we may not run people over with a power running game, but we have 5 or 6 legit pass catchers that have all made major contributions in our wins. Watkins is simply the "man" right now, but our TE Dwayne Allen and receivers Bryant, Brown, Hopkins, and WR/TE Brandon Ford have all made crucial catches when it matters. Hosely may be able to contain or even shut down Watkins, but don't think that's the only weapon. I think we will lose this game because it is our first road test of the season and right now, we're playing with house money anyway, but I'd be shocked if the game is won by more than a 10 point margin either way.

I've seen all 4 of Clemson's (home) games. I know Clemson has more weapons besides Watkins but VT has more playmakers in the secondary other than Hosley too. Allen scares me more than Watkins. You guys will move the ball inside the 20's, but that's why i predicted y'all will score 16 points, you will move the ball because Boyd will throw it 40+ times but VT will make you kick field goals. Life is so much different on the road. And i noticed you didnt mention anything about Clemson's subpar defense..

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What worries me (other than playing in Lane) is that Ellington hasn't been consistent this year. Bellamy will most likely not be much of a factor this season as I don't think he's absorbed enough of the playbook to really be a factor yet, and our other back up RB DJ Howard is still nursing a hammy strain. We do find ways to implement the short passing game and involve receivers and Tajh on reverses and read options, but it always makes me nervous when we can't run effectively.

Edit: Totally OT here, but it sucks that I have to talk about the game with a bunch of Hokies... I like you guys, but I'm the only one here with any reason to talk Clemson up. I gotta get some more of my lazy-ass brethren on here...

I am glad you are here Ballboy. Your input is always welcomed man. I would venture to say that most Hokeis are nervous as hell about this game. Boyd is a beast and is coming along well as a qb. While it is nice for us Hokies to watch Youtube highlights of the VT-CU games played in 2006/7, those games do NOT translate to wins in the present day. That being said, GO HOKIES - beat the hell out of Clemson!!!! :fish:

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I could see this being a boxing match. Clemson has a great looking offense but a subpar defense, VT has a great defense and an "Unproven" offense.

I hope VT comes away with this one but I am nervous about Clemson

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen all 4 of Clemson's (home) games. I know Clemson has more weapons besides Watkins but VT has more playmakers in the secondary other than Hosley too. Allen scares me more than Watkins. You guys will move the ball inside the 20's, but that's why i predicted y'all will score 16 points, you will move the ball because Boyd will throw it 40+ times but VT will make you kick field goals. Life is so much different on the road. And i noticed you didnt mention anything about Clemson's subpar defense..

For the first four games, Boyd has thrown 30, 29, 42, and 37 times. In comparison, we have run the ball 38, 42, 50, and 49 times. If Boyd throws 40+ times, that means we will have run 90+ plays, and will not be a good indicator of success for your Hokies. For the season, Clemson has scored 151 points with 79 of those coming inside the red zone and 72 coming outside. I can look up more stats if you'd like, and I'll address the defense later, but unfortunately the yard needs some work...

Edit: For the record, where did you happen to watch the Troy and Wofford games? They weren't on TV...

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This game def has me worried. Boyd and Watkins have played very well, as has their TE. But Lane Stadium at night is our best weapon, and you better believe I am driving 500 miles to be there

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the first four games, Boyd has thrown 30, 29, 42, and 37 times. In comparison, we have run the ball 38, 42, 50, and 49 times. If Boyd throws 40+ times, that means we will have run 90+ plays, and will not be a good indicator of success for your Hokies. For the season, Clemson has scored 151 points with 79 of those coming inside the red zone and 72 coming outside. I can look up more stats if you'd like, and I'll address the defense later, but unfortunately the yard needs some work...

Edit: For the record, where did you happen to watch the Troy and Wofford games? They weren't on TV...

Nah no way you get 90+ plays, i think you'll only run the ball 20 or so times, because 1) you'll realize it's not working and 2) i think you're gonna be down multiple scores in the 2nd half. The Troy and Wofford games were on espn3

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is absolutely no way that Clemson runs 90 plays. That would require them to run the ball over 40 times, which will not happen (can i make a prop bet?). While I think that it will be a competitive game, I am fairly confident that neither team will score more than 30 points

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just want to know what the hell is up with a 6pm kick? West coast games that start at 9 30 are killing us.

I would have killed for a 6pm start time back when I was on campus. It seemed like all the kickoffs were 12:30 or 1pm, which leaves little time to tailgate.

I think one of the keys here is the secondary needs to play a tad more conservative this game. I've noticed that a lot of the "big" plays we've given up in the air are from our players jumping routes and guessing what's going to happen (Fuller comes to mind but its really everyone). It's not necessarily a bad thing to do that, but against a good passing team, you're just asking to get burnt. Maybe play conservatively and let the turnovers come via coverage sacks when Gayle sacks/FFs Boyd.

Last edited by a moderator:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is absolutely no way that Clemson runs 90 plays. That would require them to run the ball over 40 times, which will not happen (can i make a prop bet?). While I think that it will be a competitive game, I am fairly confident that neither team will score more than 30 points

yep. the clemson d might suck donkey testacles, but i bet they're better than marshall's.. probably ecu's.. and arkansas st's too.. the only way the hokies break 30 pts is if the defense scores or sets up at least 10 points, which could be possible.. but the VT offense, if the first 4 games is a predictor, isn't going anywhere in a hurry.. they could improve, but i wouldn't predict 30 pts from them

same goes for the clemson offense.. they have looked very good, but i think the VT defense is better than every defense they've played, and Lane is by far the hardest place they've had to play.. so i dont think they'll get 30 either..

in other words, i agree 100%.. wouldn't surprise me if nobody broke 25 either

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Let's take a look at the points scored against Clemson's defense:

Troy: 19 (Clemson won by 24)
Wofford: 27 (Clemson won by 8)
Auburn: 24 (Clemson won by 14)
FSU: 30 (Clemson won by 5)

All four of those games were played at Clemson.

Clemson's NCAA defensive rankings
----------------------------------------
Rushing Defense: #85
Pass Defense: #73
Passing Efficiency Defense: #82
Total Defense: #90
Scoring Defense: #66
Sacks: #T-98
Tackles for Loss: #118

NCAA Total Defense/Scoring Defense Rankings of Tech's Opponents
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appalachian State: #60 / #40 (FCS program)
ECU: #58 / #T-98
Arkansas State: #50 / #43
Marshall: #102 / #T-98

NCAA Total Defense/Scoring Defense Rankings of Clemson's Opponents
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Troy: #114 / #114
Wofford: #61 / #75 (FCS program)
Auburn: #110 / #92
FSU: #11 / #23

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have killed for a 6pm start time back when I was on campus. It seemed like all the kickoffs were 12:30 or 1pm, which leaves little time to tailgate.
I agree but why not a 7:30 game when it is pretty much dark. The darker it gets the louder it gets. 6 is a random time for a start. The nice part is we can catch the Nebraska-Wisconsin finish after...

Spruce Moose

Cromulent Sophisticate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's take a look at the points scored against Clemson's defense:

Troy: 19 (Clemson won by 24)
Wofford: 27 (Clemson won by 8)
Auburn: 24 (Clemson won by 14)
FSU: 30 (Clemson won by 5)

All four of those games were played at Clemson.

Clemson's NCAA defensive rankings
----------------------------------------
Rushing Defense: #85
Pass Defense: #73
Passing Efficiency Defense: #82
Total Defense: #90
Scoring Defense: #66
Sacks: #T-98
Tackles for Loss: #118

NCAA Total Defense/Scoring Defense Rankings of Tech's Opponents
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appalachian State: #60 / #40 (FCS program)
ECU: #58 / #T-98
Arkansas State: #50 / #43
Marshall: #102 / #T-98

NCAA Total Defense/Scoring Defense Rankings of Clemson's Opponents
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Troy: #114 / #114
Wofford: #61 / #75 (FCS program)
Auburn: #110 / #92
FSU: #11 / #23

FSU scored a defensive td on a blown int call. So Clemson's defense allowed 24 (23 if you don't count the extra point against them).

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If VT runs for 200 again against Clemson, VT wins. We will have controlled the ball, moved it on the ground and it will open play action. I just hope we aren't as predictable. We tend to run it under center and throw it from the shotgun. Mix it up more to keep the defense honest. I also hope the staff has been keeping it simple and not showing our full hand for a reason. A trick play could make the difference in the game. WR reverse sweep throw back to LT on a wheel route would hurt a defense swarming to stop the run.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Another bit of info...the last time Clemson beat Tech was in 1989, twenty-two years ago.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Very bold comment coming from a guy who has coached for 1+ years at the college level:

CTSportsTalk Collegiate Times
Clemson offensive coordinator Chad Morris says Lane Stadium won't intimidate him.

Here's his profile when he was hired by Tulsa in 2010 as their QB/OC. He had zero previous college coaching experience:

Tulsa Names Lake Travis' Chad Morris to Football Coaching Staff - Morris will serve as co-offensive coordinator - The University of Tulsa Official Athletic Site

It'll be interesting to see how he does against Tech's DC, Bud Foster.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bo Pelini also said the crowd wouldnt be a problem and they had a ton of false starts.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If VT runs for 200 again against Clemson, VT wins. We will have controlled the ball, moved it on the ground and it will open play action. I just hope we aren't as predictable. We tend to run it under center and throw it from the shotgun. Mix it up more to keep the defense honest. I also hope the staff has been keeping it simple and not showing our full hand for a reason. A trick play could make the difference in the game. WR reverse sweep throw back to LT on a wheel route would hurt a defense swarming to stop the run.

Not sure if Beamer was truthful, but the vanilla playcalling was brought up on TTL and his response was basically that we have been playing with our full playbook. Sad if true.