• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Game 40 - Ottawa Senators at Philadelphia Flyers(1-6-15): 7:00pm EST

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrible game that we squeak away to win.

Such a waste. This can't be happening

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrible game that we squeak away to win.

Such a waste. This can't be happening

I'm glad they won in a shootout because that probably weighed heavily on them - I was tired of hearing about that too

Maybe it catapults them and an ugly win like this is what they need to start something positive the rest of the season

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad they won in a shootout because that probably weighed heavily on them - I was tired of hearing about that too

Maybe it catapults them and an ugly win like this is what they need to start something positive the rest of the season

Even if this win leads to some positivity I'm not sure there is enough to make a difference. What is our realistic best case scenario? A 1st round exit?

Mason's save on Turris in OT was nice but the play leading up to it was mind boggling. Our guys actually froze up. If you watched it on mute you would've thought there was a whistle. It was actually amazing how lost a team could be for one moment.
(Just rewatched. I am exaggerating a bit, but watching it live that is how it felt. I'm just way too cynical at this point)

Last edited by a moderator:

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if this win leads to some positivity I'm not sure there is enough to make a difference. What is our realistic best case scenario? A 1st round exit?

Mason's save on Turris in OT was nice but the play leading up to it was mind boggling. Our guys actually froze up. If you watched it on mute you would've thought there was a whistle. It was actually amazing how lost a team could be for one moment.
(Just rewatched. I am exaggerating a bit, but watching it live that is how it felt. I'm just way too cynical at this point)

Well, the Flyers were the 8th seed in 2010 and made it to the Finals. But yes, this team simply isn't good enough - something has to change, much like the acquisition of Leino in 2010 led to the dominant Leino-Briere-Hartnell line that carried the team to the Finals. This team isn't just suddenly going to become a Cup contender. This year, the turnaround spark could be another trade or perhaps the return of a healthy Timonen.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course they win in a shoot-out. I had resigned myself to believing this year is in the crapper and was looking forward to unloading some dead weight on the roster and a legit shot at McDavid/Eichel.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course they win in a shoot-out. I had resigned myself to believing this year is in the crapper and was looking forward to unloading some dead weight on the roster and a legit shot at McDavid/Eichel.

Every time I think we are going to get a shot at McDavid we win a few games in a row and get false hope again.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flyers will be bad and probably finish with the 5-7 worst record giving them an extremely remote shot at the top 2. ugh, can never just be bad enough when all is lost.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every time I think we are going to get a shot at McDavid we win a few games in a row and get false hope again.

:agree: Since when did the Flyers start winning shootouts? Why now?:noidea:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flyers will be bad and probably finish with the 5-7 worst record giving them an extremely remote shot at the top 2. ugh, can never just be bad enough when all is lost.

yep. even if the Flyers played to their worst level, the oilers, canes, and sabres are still worse than they are.

Giroux and Voracek are far too good to let the Flyers be bottom 2.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep. even if the Flyers played to their worst level, the oilers, canes, and sabres are still worse than they are.

Giroux and Voracek are far too good to let the Flyers be bottom 2.

That's the thing, barring injuries to Giroux, Voracek and Simmonds (never advocate for injuries) there is no way the Flyers will suck enough. However, if they sell off some spare parts and get a few extra 2nds and 3rds would any team in the top 2 be willing to trade 1sts and a combination of other picks/players?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the thing, barring injuries to Giroux, Voracek and Simmonds (never advocate for injuries) there is no way the Flyers will suck enough. However, if they sell off some spare parts and get a few extra 2nds and 3rds would any team in the top 2 be willing to trade 1sts and a combination of other picks/players?

honestly I don't think the Flyers NEED mcdavid or eichel. Obviously it'd be great to have them, but a high 1st and multiple 2nds and 3rds would be awesome. They need talent to round out their roster, they already have the high end, carry the team, talent that they need with Giroux/Voracek.

so if moving Vinny, Read, Coburn, Schultz, MDZ can bring in 2nds and 3rds, that would set the Flyers up pretty nicely I think.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
honestly I don't think the Flyers NEED mcdavid or eichel. Obviously it'd be great to have them, but a high 1st and multiple 2nds and 3rds would be awesome. They need talent to round out their roster, they already have the high end, carry the team, talent that they need with Giroux/Voracek.

so if moving Vinny, Read, Coburn, Schultz, MDZ can bring in 2nds and 3rds, that would set the Flyers up pretty nicely I think.

It'd be great for the Flyers to have a big talent like that but this team needs the young d-men to make an impact and they need better depth forwards to the point where we don't have to ever watch the likes of Pierre-Edouard Bellemare, Chris VandeVelde, Zac Rinaldo and others ever again

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like Schultz and think Read can go back to being what he was the last couple of years instead of what he is this season. Can we substitute L Schenn and MacDonald for Schultz and MDZ. :noidea:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Schultz and think Read can go back to being what he was the last couple of years instead of what he is this season. Can we substitute L Schenn and MacDonald for Schultz and MDZ. :noidea:

I think LSchenn and Macdonald will be hard to move if you want value back.

Even though the Flyers have a good amount of dead weight, I would still try to move some of the half-dead weight for useful parts (ie Read for picks) instead of trying to move someone just to be rid of them (ie Macdonald and a 4th for a 5th and an expiring contract). Schenn and Macdonald can add value down the line as a 3rd pair when things progress. They'll be overpaid as all get out, but they'd be a pretty solid 3rd pair. And if you build through the draft and avoid signing UFA's, having a couple overpaid guys won't kill them because they'll have guys on ELC or 2nd contracts over-performing their cap hit.

IMO the Flyers need value to go along with the flexibility. I don't think it should be a 'get rid of this guy in anyway possible' type of situation.