• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game 4: Umps don't F-up the game; Sox finally don't throw to 3rd base

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big hit last night obviously for Gomes, but to me the real hero was Felix Doubront. Doubront gave the Sox nearly 3 innings of excellent relief a night after giving the Sox 2 innings in Game 3.

Credit to Buchy for gutting out 4 innings when he is pretty much done.

I also have to give credit to the Cardinals starters. I thought we woudl run right through Kelly and Lynn, but they held their ground.

3 game series starts tonight in St. Louis. Rematch of Game 1 with Lester and Wainwright. I expect more of the same excellent pitching from both sides.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to pop back to Game 3 and the hideous "obstruction" call.

I don't care what the rule says, that is one of the worst calls I have ever seen. That rule needs to be changed. To me, it is like a pass interference play. It either is or isn't. The NFL updated their rule to account for incidental contact, which is what the play was all about on Saturday.

Heck, if Craig knew where he was, he wouldn't have tripped over Middlebrooks. What I mean is that Craig was at least 2 feet inside the third base line. He was watching the ball and tripped because he never saw Middlebrooks there. Middlebrooks was only there because he went after the throw.

How is this "rule" any different than when a throw to first base pulls the first baseman off the bag and into the path of the runner? Should that be considered obstruction also? The player has to follow the path of the ball and on a "bang bang" play like that, how can he be expected to just jump right back up and get out of the way? Especially when Craig pushed down on him while getting up.

Sox 2; Cardinals 1; Umpires 1.

Brocktagon

the handsome super genius
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ortiz >>> any other DH

Bill Belichick >>> any other coach

megatron >>> dezzz...zzz....

Brocktagon

the handsome super genius
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

just as bad as the rule called for a 15 yarder last week against the jets

How is this "rule" any different than when a throw to first base pulls the first baseman off the bag and into the path of the runner? Should that be considered obstruction also?

this is why I was confused as to what they were calling an 'obsturction' as if 3rd base is different from the other 3.

RedSoxWorrld

Brock wears female undies
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't care what the rule says, that is one of the worst calls I have ever seen. That rule needs to be changed. To me, it is like a pass interference play. It either is or isn't. The NFL updated their rule to account for incidental contact, which is what the play was all about on Saturday.

Heck, if Craig knew where he was, he wouldn't have tripped over Middlebrooks. What I mean is that Craig was at least 2 feet inside the third base line. He was watching the ball and tripped because he never saw Middlebrooks there. Middlebrooks was only there because he went after the throw.

How is this "rule" any different than when a throw to first base pulls the first baseman off the bag and into the path of the runner? Should that be considered obstruction also? The player has to follow the path of the ball and on a "bang bang" play like that, how can he be expected to just jump right back up and get out of the way? Especially when Craig pushed down on him while getting up.

Sox 2; Cardinals 1; Umpires 1.

that call had to be made as the "letter of the law"

its a bullshit rule but its a rule

Pats benefitted from it yesterday on that fumble that was "tipped" by the guy trying to recover it

the tuck rule, also

sucks to make a call like that to decide a WS game, but a rules a rule

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My condolences to all you Boston sports fans for having something actually not go your way in game 3, I hope you can find the courage to persevere through a day of adversity.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that call had to be made as the "letter of the law"

its a bullshit rule but its a rule

Pats benefitted from it yesterday on that fumble that was "tipped" by the guy trying to recover it

the tuck rule, also

sucks to make a call like that to decide a WS game, but a rules a rule

Oh, I get it. That is why I said the rule needs to be changed.

RedSoxWorrld

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My condolences to all you Boston sports fans for having something actually not go your way in game 3, I hope you can find the courage to persevere through a day of adversity.

day late

give him a dollar

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ortiz >>> any other DH

Bill Belichick >>> any other coach

megatron >>> dezzz...zzz....

What we saw preceeding Gomes' HR is going to happen a lot more in this series now. The Cardinals are going to stop pitching to Ortiz. As crazy as it is to say, he is probably TOO HOT right now.

We are going to need others the step up now more than ever, and last night was Gomes' turn.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly thought Clay was going to implode but he gutted it out and Gomes came through. Heck even DREW finally put wood on ball to get a SAC FLY.

Please Take Game 5 tonight!

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What we saw preceeding Gomes' HR is going to happen a lot more in this series now. The Cardinals are going to stop pitching to Ortiz. As crazy as it is to say, he is probably TOO HOT right now.

We are going to need others the step up now more than ever, and last night was Gomes' turn.

Would Farrell (I know he is not a prototypical # 4 hitter) consider giving Pedey a shot there at clean-up? He has been a much better hitter this World Series than Gomes (last night not withstanding)

RedSoxWorrld

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would Farrell (I know he is not a prototypical # 4 hitter) consider giving Pedey a shot there at clean-up? He has been a much better hitter this World Series than Gomes (last night not withstanding)

not a chance

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not a chance

Didn't think so, nor was I advocating it but it could switch things up and possibly have the Cardinals actually pitch to Ortiz

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It is an interesting thought. Pedroia has hit cleanup a number of times before when injuries struck, and would be a better source of protection for Ortiz until we get Napoli back in Game 6.

That said, I doubt Farrell makes that kind of move.

Right now, I am more concerned with getting Victorino back in the lineup. It is coming near his time to get a big hit.

I have already given up on Drew and Salty delivering a hit of ANY kind, no less a big one. We really look like a typical NL lineup while playing in St. Louis without Napoli and with the Drew and Salty sucking so much.

I think we see Ross behind the plate again with Lester pitching anyway. Drew at least has played excellent D.

RedSoxWorrld

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is an interesting thought. Pedroia has hit cleanup a number of times before when injuries struck, and would be a better source of protection for Ortiz until we get Napoli back in Game 6.

That said, I doubt Farrell makes that kind of move.

Right now, I am more concerned with getting Victorino back in the lineup. It is coming near his time to get a big hit.

I have already given up on Drew and Salty delivering a hit of ANY kind, no less a big one. We really look like a typical NL lineup while playing in St. Louis without Napoli and with the Drew and Salty sucking so much.

I think we see Ross behind the plate again with Lester pitching anyway. Drew at least has played excellent D.

It is Ross tonight

Sox are 8-1 in the postseason when Gomes starts

Love Victorino but how do you take Gomes out now?