• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

FYI - Flyers could trade Gagne - From ESPN

SantaMonicaFlyer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
From ESPN NHL Rumors:

The Philadelphia Flyers priority now is to move some big contract, Sportsnet's Nick Kypreos tweets. And one guy they could move is Simon Gagne but Kypreos points out that Gagne has a no-trade clause.

Dealing Gagne would clear out $5.25 million in cap space, but he might get fewer suitors than, say, Jeff Carter, who could also be a trade target. Gagne is an unrestricted free agent after this season so whoever deals for him might want to make sure it's not a one-year rental. Meanwhile, Carter carries a $5 million cap hit, but he becomes a restricted free agent next season.

Demand for these forwards might be quite high because most teams can't afford Ilya Kovalchuk but, otherwise, the market for offensive weapons is weak. Meanwhile, the Flyers might use some of the money they clear out to take a second look at either Marty Turco or Evgeni Nabokov.

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
why do they just not trade hartnell? if we trade gagne then hartnell is our best left wing. if we trade carter then laperierre is our best right wing.

indyflyr

Da Oracle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
even if we don't trade gagne, leino is our best wing.

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
no he is not. especially if carter plays the wing. leino is probably good for about 25 goals this year. he was really good in the playoffs although it will be tough for him to match that production.

h X c Chris

foul-mouthed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hartnell has a NTC and had a terrible season, I doubt many teams are interested.

SantaMonicaFlyer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
*steps onto the soap box *

I'm sure I am in the minority [perhaps even flying solo] on this one, and I admit that I saw very few Flyers games prior to the playoffs due to being on the left coast, BUT...

From what I know about Hartnell, I like him. Maybe he had a bad year, maybe he didn't. Still, he is a proven 25 - 30 goal, 2nd line player who can play defense and isn't afraid to get his nose dirty. Sounds like a 'prototypical' Flyer to me. Not sure why everyone seems out to get him. Plus, he has great hair :)

Again, I didn't see much of the regular season, but I wouldn't run the guy out of town, personally.

* steps off of the soap box *

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
heh you will have very few wingmen with that belief santa.. he had an absolutely dreadful regular season.. 95% of the time he touched the puck he tripped over his own skates.. it was a disaster

if gagne gets traded over him i'll be irate.. gagne scores better, plays better defense, and leads better than hartnell does.. the only thing hartnell has over gagne is he can be an agitator, but lets he agitates the flyers more than the opponent with all his offensive zone penalties

and giroux is our best RW.. he's played RW his whole career until midway through this season.. moving carter to wing doesn't make sense, giroux has played the wing and wouldn't mind doing so.. carter seems to not want to play wing.. IMO anyway..

h X c Chris

foul-mouthed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
tpanotch
Too quiet on the FLyers front ... that means something is in the works. Moving salary, maybe pursue a goalie after that? every july 4th!

soulxflare

Arrive. Raise Hell. Leave.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree w/ SantaMonica. At the very least, Hartnell gives 100% effort on every shift -- unlike other guys. If I had to pick an order to trade, I'd go with:

1. Carter
2. Hartnell
3. Gagne

PhillyPhaithful48

Pickles will Prevail
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
2008-2009 Hartnell was a stud
2009-2010 Hartnell was just awful

Dont know what happened. But if 08-09 scotty comes back, watch out. If not, that contract is just horrible for the production we get from him. We need the old scotty back, they are two completely different players

soulxflare

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eklund An NHL source has informed me the flyers have asked simon gagne to waive his NTC...more to come on this.

... fuck, I hope this is his typical bullshit.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
same, or i hope he doesn't waive it.. first time i've ever been happy a guy has an NTC

cmon gags be selfish, you have fans that are gunna be very upset if you arent

Last edited by a moderator:

h X c Chris

foul-mouthed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
mirtle
There's their cap space. RT @JSportsnet: Sources confirm...Simon Gagne asked to waive his No Trade clause today....no trade pending.

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
say no gagne. please. you have a family. you have an excuse not to waive it unlike hartnell.

by the way, santamonica if you watched the entire season you would have been angry at hartnell. even his performance in the finals had me thinking he was ok although during the regular season he was just awful. i do feel bad though because he went through a divorce or something.

SantaMonicaFlyer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Understood re: Hartnell. Like I said, I saw much more of Hartnell v.2008/9 than Hartnell v.2009/10. What I DID see was the playoffs, so...

Either way, I'd keep him and cross my fingers 2009/10 was an aberration. And keep Gagne. Carter...eh. Whatever. I have no informed opinion, so I'll leave it up to you guys to debate :) [My uninformed opinion, however, says he is one dimensional and should be traded IF we can get equal value, i.e., a cheaper 2nd line F and picks, perhaps.]

Also, not worried too much about losing Carter's goal production as much with the expected development of Giroux and JVR and Leino [and any assets we recover from a trade, if any].

soulxflare

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Understood re: Hartnell. Like I said, I saw much more of Hartnell v.2008/9 than Hartnell v.2009/10. What I DID see was the playoffs, so...

Either way, I'd keep him and cross my fingers 2009/10 was an aberration. And keep Gagne. Carter...eh. Whatever. I have no informed opinion, so I'll leave it up to you guys to debate :) [My uninformed opinion, however, says he is one dimensional and should be traded IF we can get equal value, i.e., a cheaper 2nd line F and picks, perhaps.]

Also, not worried too much about losing Carter's goal production as much with the expected development of Giroux and JVR and Leino [and any assets we recover from a trade, if any].

Your "uninformed" opinion of Carts is spot on. The only piece you didn't mention was that he's also lazy.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and it makes no sense to trade gagne.. we'll have 5 centers and 6 wingers.. thats doing it wrong.

soulxflare

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if i was a gm i would trade anybody to upgrade my team. however, as a fan i will be angry if gagne is traded.

The other question is why would we trade a winger? If Gags is traded, that most likely means that Carter will be moved to wing full time -- we saw how well that worked last year.