• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Future of the NFL

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something to think about.

As for the chip in the ball I think that's something that should have been added years ago, lets just get the thing in there so everyone can know already when the ball crosses the goal line.

Y! SPORTS

Mr. Tacoma

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that I'm opposed to putting a chip in the ball but usually the issue is figuring out if the ball crossed the goal line before someone's knees hit the ground or something, not whether it crossed at all. a chip wouldn't really help with that. It's not too often that they flat out can't figure out if the ball crossed the plane or not.

Not that it doesn't happen but it doesn't seem to be a problem that warrants an expensive fix.

It all comes down to costs. If that system can be put in place for cheap then I don't see why the NFL doesn't do it. If it would be expensive to install and maintain then they probably wouldn't bother because with the refs and all the cameras they can usually tell if the ball made it across or not.

Same with putting lasers or cameras in the goal posts. It's pretty rare that the refs blow a field goal call, I doubt the NFL would be willing to take on the additional costs for something they doesn't see as a major problem.

Like most large corporations, the NFL isn't very anxious to part with it's money unless it absolutely has to.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been saying this for YEAAAAAAAAAAARS, Chips, GPS, seismic sensors, whatever it takes to remove the human element from officiating as much as possible.

It wouldnt require that much money to get these things done, but it would take the ability to decide the game out of the hands of the refs and I do not know if the NFL Wants that.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been saying this for YEAAAAAAAAAAARS, Chips, GPS, seismic sensors, whatever it takes to remove the human element from officiating as much as possible.

It wouldnt require that much money to get these things done, but it would take the ability to decide the game out of the hands of the refs and I do not know if the NFL Wants that.

I don't know about the league, but I'm sure the officials wouldn't be particularly happy about it, as it would have the biggest impact on their jobs. There has to be some officials who still feel like replay undermines their judgement and authority, moving them a step closer to uselessness. I'm not sure that more technological advances would make them feel any better about their job security. I think the league would be willing to do it if it wasn't too expensive.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about the league, but I'm sure the officials wouldn't be particularly happy about it, as it would have the biggest impact on their jobs. There has to be some officials who still feel like replay undermines their judgement and authority, moving them a step closer to uselessness. I'm not sure that more technological advances would make them feel any better about their job security. I think the league would be willing to do it if it wasn't too expensive.

I personally couldn't care less about how the officials feel about it because almost all of them suck. If they were better, something like this wouldn't be necessary.

I really don't see how a chip is going to fix the issue though. You'd almost need kind of like a sensor mesh that encompasses the entire football for something like this to work. Even still I'm not sure the technology is feasible. Will be interesting to see what comes of this if anything.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is part one of the show in case anyone wants to see it.

Y! SPORTS

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a chip would do is provide the exact second the ball crosses the line. Very simple matter of using that time to see when the knee was down. The chip itself only gives you one of the two criteria, but it is the one that is the most difficult to find on film itself. The knee down is the easy part. It very much will remove doubt in those close calls.