• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fumble out of bounds in the end zone

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lucky bounces happen in every sport, it's apart of the game for good or for worse. If that bounce that trotted through the EZ costed you a season then maybe your team wasn't good enough to make it as your team had a full year of games to win for it not to come down to a lucky bounce.
OK...but the team that won needed a lucky bounce to win and they had all game to win without needing one.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always seems like the dumb ones that arent very good

can’t think of this happening too much to

Julio
Deandre
Davonte
Diggs

prob a connection

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Continuation" needs to be addressed as well......

Fouled at the 3 point line, guy takes 3 dribbles, then goes for a lay-up.... Oh he was in the act of shooting (I know I'm just saying that to make the rule sound even worse)

Now - to address the issue this thread brings up... It has already been said why this rule is in place. Players would purposefully "fumble" the ball forward to get extra yardage and get their offense at a better spot. Why reward them for that? It sucks when it goes against your team for sure but I get why the rule is there. The catch rule is worse than this one!
Seems like most who want this rule changed think in the case from Sunday ball should go back to spot of fumble so no extra yardage.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always seems like the dumb ones that arent very good

can’t think of this happening too much to

Julio
Deandre
Davonte
Diggs

prob a connection
Agree. I think DK will mature past this, but did the Seahawks deserve a 2nd chance at the 1 or the 20 for him getting lazy/the defender making an outstanding effort play here?:

I would contend they didn't

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. I think DK will mature past this, but did the Seahawks deserve a 2nd chance at the 1 or the 20 for him getting lazy/the defender making an outstanding effort play here?:

NFL blocks these from being played on SportsHoopla?

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here's a gif of the play... and no. They didn't deserve a 2nd chance. Outstanding play by the defender.

DK_Metcalf_Celebrates_Too_Early_and_Fumbles_For_Touchback_vs._Cowboys.gif

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL blocks these from being played on SportsHoopla?
I mean, sure, there will be plays that support either side. also hustle plays where the guy just dives and reaches for pylon and loses the ball where defender did nothing.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
every fumble recovery is a lucky bounce. Recovering fumbles has proven to be a matter of luck, not skill.

thats why id say any fumble out of bounds should be a turnover. Give the defense something in this gif forsaken anti defense league.
It's not about removing lucky bounces from the game. It's about not adding additional artificial lucky bounces into the game. The no PI call in the Rams NFC Championship game is an artificial lucky bounce, as was the Hail Mary call in the Seahawks game. Fans rightly want those out of the game and the rule as currently written adds it in. The ballcarrier's team should only be able to advance the fumble if it is recovered by the fumbler and by all means give the defense something by treating a fumble out-of-bounds as an illegal bat.
Just don't wreck the outcome of the game.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
any fumble, you get the ball back where either you regain possession or where it goes out of bounds... if it is fumbled in the endzone, and goes out of bounds there is no actual yard spot to put the ball back on as it is a negative yard on the field... you cant get the ball back, because again, there is no place to put the ball... so the other team HAS to get the ball...

it is not a penalty at all... and not harsh at all... I mean, getting a TD is very easy when it comes to carry over rules... once it crosses, it is a TD...
I thought the Offense could not advance a ball due to a fumble when it goes out of bounds. The ball had to return to the point of the fumble?

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do not understand the argument about fumbling on purpose. Why would a team do that? They risk a ball bouncing the wrong way ... if you haven’t reached the goal line, you’re going to chuck the ball into the EZ to see what happens? LOL, makes no sense. If it’s that blatant, call a UC on the player move them back 15 yards. To give the ball to the defense is beyond stupid. The rule sucks.

Edit: And maybe loss of down for the offense, anything else is plain dumb.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of NFL rules are retarded. They are geared towards giving the refs the opportunity to control who wins the game. I dont watch nearly as much anymore. Same old nonsense. Buffalo will probably get to the Superbowl but will have zero chance of winning. The feelgood stories that will sell are with the other 3 teams. Watch for the Bills to get screwed at some point.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you fumble the ball into the endzone and it goes out of bounds, it's a touchback and the other team gets the ball on their 20.

Does anyone have any idea why the consequences of such a fumble are so severe? If you fumble the ball out of bounds on one side of the goal line it's your ball where it went out, but an inch over the line and it's loss of possession and a twenty yard penalty. It seems a bit disproportionate.
So I am one that doesnt believe the rule should be changed.

When I was a kid, they used to have on TV during football games right before a commercial. A thing called "you make the call"
I remember this one, because it was the 1st time I was ever wrong guessing the call. So going off memory from just a couple years ago when I was a kid :heh: When I inquired about why the rule was the way it was. If I remember correctly. It had to do with treating the endzones the same. Ball goes out of bounds in the endzone it is a turnover. Technically a Safety is considered a turnover. The defense gets 2 points & the ball back. Other endzone. Defense gets the ball & a touchback.
Consistent. I know nowadays we arent used to the NFL being consistent, but this rule shouldnt change.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I am one that doesnt believe the rule should be changed.

When I was a kid, they used to have on TV during football games right before a commercial. A thing called "you make the call"
I remember this one, because it was the 1st time I was ever wrong guessing the call. So going off memory from just a couple years ago when I was a kid :heh: When I inquired about why the rule was the way it was. If I remember correctly. It had to do with treating the endzones the same. Ball goes out of bounds in the endzone it is a turnover. Technically a Safety is considered a turnover. The defense gets 2 points & the ball back. Other endzone. Defense gets the ball & a touchback.
Consistent. I know nowadays we arent used to the NFL being consistent, but this rule shouldnt change.
No, you're not alone with this.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about giving the fumbling team the ball at the 35? True, fumbling is naughty, but the defense didn't recover the ball so why reward them? Punish the offense by going from the 1 back to the 35.

Because you've fumbled it through the end zone they were protecting. Iow, you've essentially given up the ball to them imo. It's a fair outcome. Hold onto the ball.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An idiotic rule....much like the ticky tacky deep PI or the 'winner of the division gets a home playoff game' regardless of the record. Hilarious watching people make up reasonings as to why it's a good rule though.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no. Our of bounds anywhere. The offense should never be rewarded for fumbling when recovery is a matter of luck and not skill

Exactly. Fumbling the ball is a bad thing. Causing your opponent to fumble the ball is a good thing. If we can avoid it we don't reward the bad thing. This really isn't complicated. I'd honestly have no problem with making fumbling the ball OB a turnover anywhere on the field.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, sure, there will be plays that support either side. also hustle plays where the guy just dives and reaches for pylon and loses the ball where defender did nothing.
Well that's not a very good argument; you're calling a very boneheaded mistake a "hustle play".... strongly disagree with that statement.