• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

From Darkness to Dynasty - Pats first to 500

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Sunday the Patriots will attempt to become the first AFL team to reach 500 wins out of the original 8.

If you enjoy sports history I recommend the following book, which I am halfway through.

Put your haterism aside and enjoy a great read and historical tale of one of the founding AFL teams.

"From Darkness to Dynasty"
Jerry Thornton

Jerry

Sounds interesting. Love reading history books, and this wouldn't be the first time I got a book idea from the hoop. Unfortunately, when looking it up at the library I got something different. It may take a bit, but I'll put it on the to buy list.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds interesting. Love reading history books, and this wouldn't be the first time I got a book idea from the hoop. Unfortunately, when looking it up at the library I got something different. It may take a bit, but I'll put it on the to buy list.

I'm up to about 72' in the book. Granted I'm a bit biased as a Pats fan, but I'm convinced I would love this book no matter what team it was about.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm up to about 72' in the book. Granted I'm a bit biased as a Pats fan, but I'm convinced I would love this book no matter what team it was about.

I always liked the Pats in the 80s and 90s, and I'll even admit a lot of my original dislike for the team started with how I perceived Bledsoe was treated (he was a Coug after all). Overall, doesn't matter what I feel about a team - I love to read/hear the history behind sports teams.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always liked the Pats in the 80s and 90s, and I'll even admit a lot of my original dislike for the team started with how I perceived Bledsoe was treated (he was a Coug after all). Overall, doesn't matter what I feel about a team - I love to read/hear the history behind sports teams.

I think you'll love this one then. The Patriots had a very comical start.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the exchange laid out for you dumbass. The amount of stupid in your responses is astonishing (even for you).
Is it the word merger baffling you 2 watt?

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the exchange laid out for you dumbass. The amount of stupid in your responses is astonishing (even for you).

I was just watching the exchange from afar, and I don't see what you are trying to point out or prove either.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just watching the exchange from afar, and I don't see what you are trying to point out or prove either.

This was my original point:

"If I was interested in AFL history (I'm not), I would at least read about one of the successful AFL teams (that actually made it possible for the merger to occur)."

Then the assclown hopped in and started talking about the Browns and Cowboys for some reason.

Last edited:

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was my original point:

"If I was interested in AFL history (I'm not), I would at least read about one of the successful AFL teams (that actually made it possible for the merger to occur)."

Then the assclown hopped in and started talking about the Browns and Cowboys for some reason.

And it wasn't much of a point really, other than to express dislike of the New England Patriots. There were only 6 original teams, then went to 8 and a merger.

You're simply trying to use it as a chance to disparage a team you happen to dislike. A team that started with nothing and has grown and moved on to greatness. When the Ravens came into the league they were given a running start, which wasn't so with the Patriots. The fact they had to start from scratch, even in comparison to the other AFL teams, is part of what makes the story so intersting from a historical perspective, regardless of team logo.

Sometimes it's healthy to put your bias aside.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
right next to the Jets trophy case

View attachment 151663
2b6af6cbcaf852e45de12fea50fc786a.jpg

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And it wasn't much of a point really, other than to express dislike of the New England Patriots. There were only 6 original teams, then went to 8 and a merger.

You're simply trying to use it as a chance to disparage a team you happen to dislike. A team that started with nothing and has grown and moved on to greatness. When the Ravens came into the league they were given a running start, which wasn't so with the Patriots. The fact they had to start from scratch, even in comparison to the other AFL teams, is part of what makes the story so intersting from a historical perspective, regardless of team logo.

Sometimes it's healthy to put your bias aside.

I don't dislike the Patriots. I dislike the Patriots' fan base (as a whole). Let me know about the Patriots "greatness" when it isn't completely tied to two individuals.

As for my point...if I want to learn about the history of the AFL, I'll read a book written about the history of the AFL (as will most non-Patriots' fans).

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't dislike the Patriots. I dislike the Patriots' fan base (as a whole). Let me know about the Patriots "greatness" when it isn't completely tied to two individuals.

As for my point...if I want to learn about the history of the AFL, I'll read a book written about the history of the AFL (as will most non-Patriots' fans).

So you dislike an entire fan base, based on your interaction with less than .00001% of them. Seems well measured.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you dislike an entire fan base, based on your interaction with less than .00001% of them. Seems well measured.

So you pretend to know the extent of my interaction? That's not ignorant at all...

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you pretend to know the extent of my interaction? That's not uneducated at all...

It's a safe assumption you have only interacted with a very, very, small % of the fan base overall.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a safe assumption you have only interacted with a very, very, small % of the fan base overall.

Well...it's certainly an assumption that fits your agenda.