• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Friday Night NFL - Packers/Eagles from Brazil

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 28,766.11
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Malik Willis when told he had to go on the field for those final plays

ksganti-prison.gif
They need to get somebody because he ain't that guy.

Tanneyhill is a solid vet that could be decent for a team that has playoff hopes.

Not a lot of options out there.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did say it's only one game and obviously, things could change. I also said the field could have been a factor. As for Love, I've been seeing reports that it is likely an ankle, not the knee so who's making the declarations here.
I’m hearing the opposite. The Packers have been quiet. Numerous doctors on Twitter have watched the play and have called out a moment when they see a pop in his left knee.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both picks were Hurts not seeing a defender and not accounting for a defender in his read. They both also hit that old QB adage “never throw late over the middle”. I agree with you though. On top of him having to read the defense he has to make better decisions. The two are interwoven.
And those of us who have had QBs who struggle with that know it is VERY difficult to change. You can work with a guy and do things to make it easier on him (motion, quick step and throw, less "options" in the routes, etc), but not many all of a sudden get much better at it

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
barkley broke a 90 year eagle record with his 3 tds did,nt he?first time he had a 3 time TD game since hs.
Not sure what record you’re talking about. Terrell Owens did it in his first game in 2004

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to get somebody because he ain't that guy.

Tanneyhill is a solid vet that could be decent for a team that has playoff hopes.

Not a lot of options out there.
Kenny Pickett trade? :D:noidea::thumb:

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And those of us who have had QBs who struggle with that know it is VERY difficult to change. You can work with a guy and do things to make it easier on him (motion, quick step and throw, less "options" in the routes, etc), but not many all of a sudden get much better at it
Check out the tweet I posted earlier. You can absolutely help Hurts with this. Shane Steichen did it and Hurts had the best passer rating from the pocket in 2022. On plays with motion last night Kellen Moore made Hurts successful. You absolutely can fix this and mitigate this. This is why coaches have value in the NFL.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally right, but...I think Kellen Moore will do just that with Hurts. He'll generate some simple reads for him like the TD to Barkley last night that isolated a middle LB on Barkley who was running to the end zone. That was basically a simple clear out and on that one you saw Hurts recognize it and throw a nice ball right on time, the linebacker had zero shot.

Hurts has enough talent around him that he just needs to play a smart, controlled game and he should win against most defenses.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally right, but...I think Kellen Moore will do just that with Hurts. He'll generate some simple reads for him like the TD to Barkley last night that isolated a middle LB on Barkley who was running to the end zone. That was basically a simple clear out and on that one you saw Hurts recognize it and throw a nice ball right on time, the linebacker had zero shot.

Hurts has enough talent around him that he just needs to play a smart, controlled game and he should win against most defenses.
Moore was very good last night. He did a ton of things to tap into the best thing Devonta Smith does - run exceptional routes. He had him run a delay to the hole in cover 2 that Smitty sold beautifully like he was running an arrow and then he just turned it up into open space. Big YAC after.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what it is about the Packer's DBs, but they all have hero ball mentality. Take a knee and let your teammates do their jobs. I'm thinking they need to be sit down in a room and have it explained to them that they play defense for a reason. That reason is they're expected to stop the other team from scoring and score if an actual scoring opportunity presents itself. Trying to create something from nothing is 95 out of 100 times a bad idea, and sometimes bad ideas turn into disaster, so don't create disasters.

Is it wrong that I want to punch Jaire Alexander in the face after most of the plays he's involved in and then when he makes a play I want to kick him in the nuts for being a fucking moron? Maybe that's just me.
When he ran that INT out of the end zone and didn't seem to notice Devonta Smith was right behind him, I seriously thought he was going to fumble it back.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had three big concerns coming into the season for the Eagles and I didn’t good answers on any of the three.
1. Hurts - looked good at times. Other times left shaking your head. Still no feel for who this guy is. Is he the 2022 guy? Is he the guy who is number one in MVP odds in December two years in a row? Or is he the guy in the 1Q last night and down the stretch last year. He’s an enigma.
2. Pass rush - this may be a factor of a shitty playing surface but either way Eagles pass rush wasn’t good enough last night. Huff was a complete non factor. Didn’t get close to the QB all night.
3. Nick Siriani - ton of penalties. They didn’t panic though and kept competing. A great big incomplete.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not unless he has changed. What Dallas struggled with the most under Moore was all of the complex options in Moore's routes. There was often confusion by both the receivers and the QB. There are too many keys which required both understanding the defense and reacting on the fly and more importantly both the receiver and QB seeing and deciding the exact same thing in real time even if the QB was looking at his first read while the receiver who was the second read was analyzing his key. Hurts just isn't a good reader of defenses and decision maker. He isn't going to all of a sudden start doing that. They can, as I mentioned, do things to make it simpler on him like all PCs do with any QBs weakness. Hopefully for Hurts' sake Moore has realized over the last few years that no one understands his offense the way he does on a blackboard. It did seem a little simpler last year but I didn't watch enough of the Chargers to know for sure. You will find out if the receivers are cutting when Hurts reads a go, or vice-versa. Every offense does this but Morre takes it to another level. There are also subtle things like the depth of a crossing route based on where the LBer is sitting in the zone. It seems simple and common, but in real time it just gets messed up when the ball needs to be throw ahead of time and in the perfect place. I used to think this is exactly how Offenses should be run at the NFL level, but slowly realized that being overly complicated leads to problems. Again, maybe Moore has realized this because he really does have a great football mind.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had three big concerns coming into the season for the Eagles and I didn’t good answers on any of the three.
1. Hurts - looked good at times. Other times left shaking your head. Still no feel for who this guy is. Is he the 2022 guy? Is he the guy who is number one in MVP odds in December two years in a row? Or is he the guy in the 1Q last night and down the stretch last year. He’s an enigma.
2. Pass rush - this may be a factor of a shitty playing surface but either way Eagles pass rush wasn’t good enough last night. Huff was a complete non factor. Didn’t get close to the QB all night.
3. Nick Siriani - ton of penalties. They didn’t panic though and kept competing. A great big incomplete.
I couldn't watch too much. How was the OL? I saw Saquon's great stats but wasn't sure how much of that was the OL and how much was Saquon (I assume a mix). I read about the miscommunication with the center. To me the Eagles have star power but their key to a great season is dominating the LOS on both sides. Also, did they move Carter around as much as was rumored or leave him at DT all game? Pass rush without Reddick?

edit - just saw your pass rush comment.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not unless he has changed. What Dallas struggled with the most under Moore was all of the complex options in Moore's routes. There was often confusion by both the receivers and the QB. There are too many keys which required both understanding the defense and reacting on the fly and more importantly both the receiver and QB seeing and deciding the exact same thing in real time even if the QB was looking at his first read while the receiver who was the second read was analyzing his key. Hurts just isn't a good reader of defenses and decision maker. He isn't going to all of a sudden start doing that. They can, as I mentioned, do things to make it simpler on him like all PCs do with any QBs weakness. Hopefully for Hurts' sake Moore has realized over the last few years that no one understands his offense the way he does on a blackboard. It did seem a little simpler last year but I didn't watch enough of the Chargers to know for sure. You will find out if the receivers are cutting when Hurts reads a go, or vice-versa. Every offense does this but Morre takes it to another level. There are also subtle things like the depth of a crossing route based on where the LBer is sitting in the zone. It seems simple and common, but in real time it just gets messed up when the ball needs to be throw ahead of time and in the perfect place. I used to think this is exactly how Offenses should be run at the NFL level, but slowly realized that being overly complicated leads to problems. Again, maybe Moore has realized this because he really does have a great football mind.
Another issue with Moore was his complicated pre-snap motion. While it does a great job of screwing up the defense and letting the Offense see what they are doing it also led to penalties with the timing and too many moving parts. At least for the Cowboys this was an issue. Maybe the Eagles OL and receivers won't have this problem

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't watch too much. How was the OL?
For week 1? Solid. You mention miscommunication stuff. That was evident. Some bad exchanges at crucial times.
I saw Saquon's great stats but wasn't sure how much of that was the OL and how much was Saquon (I assume a mix).
This is an unpopular opinion among Eagles fans but Barkley’s numbers were more impressive than what he put on film. He lacks that burst he used to have. He left some yards on the field. That being said, he had his best carries later in the game. He presented as a back you can close with.
I read about the miscommunication with the center. To me the Eagles have star power but their key to a great season is dominating the LOS on both sides. Also, did they move Carter around as much as was rumored or leave him at DT all game?
Carter primarily played as a 5 tech but he did stem to play some 3 tech and some 1 tech. He didn’t see any reps as a 9 tech. It’s the edge where the Eagles pass rush really lacks. Pass rush wise, Carter did his job. He needs to get better at finishing plays. He had at least one TFL and one sack that he didn’t get because he couldn’t bring the ball carrier to the ground.
Pass rush without Reddick?
Just gross. Bryce Huff looks like he may be an issue. Hoping it was a shit surface and he depends on his get off to be effective.
edit - just saw your pass rush comment.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another issue with Moore was his complicated pre-snap motion. While it does a great job of screwing up the defense and letting the Offense see what they are doing it also led to penalties with the timing and too many moving parts. At least for the Cowboys this was an issue. Maybe the Eagles OL and receivers won't have this problem
I think the hope is that like most coaches Moore learns from the past and adapts and evolves.

Immediately though, it was evident that the Eagles have a legitimate professional as their offensive coordinator now. Last year was one of the most embarrassing displays of offensive coaching and scheming I’ve ever seen. Moore doesn’t have to be Bill Walsh to be a huge improvement over what they were dealing with.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because the Eagles have gone from virtually no motion to this, Moore seems to be taking baby steps to incorporate this. He also seems to recognize that Hurts as a dual-threat runner is different and he has kept some elements of the prior scheme.

Bottom line, I don't expect Moore to be as good as Shane Steichen in putting Hurts in position to make plays, but he should be better than Nick Sirianni/Brian Johnnson, which was an offense run by committee and a train wreck.