• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Friday Night NFL - Packers/Eagles from Brazil

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching the packers lose is always fun, but I hate to see Love get injured. The bright side (for the packers) is their next 5 games are very winnable and they have the flexibility on offense to become a successful run first team with Josh Jacobs, that oline, and that defense. If Malik Willis is able to hit play action passes they will have success. They might even sneak in some RPOs. Even if Love is out half the season, I think the Packers will be close enough to .500 when he comes back that they can run through the bulk of their division games on the back end and get into the playoffs.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 445.01
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Eagles should have gone for it on 4th & goal. A TD would have won it. Both a non-conversion or a FG would have given the Packers a chance to go 70 yards for the win, (or winning FG attempt), assuming the Packers took the touchback, (which they foolishly didn't).

I don't know what it is about the Packer's DBs, but they all have hero ball mentality. Take a knee and let your teammates do their jobs. I'm thinking they need to be sit down in a room and have it explained to them that they play defense for a reason. That reason is they're expected to stop the other team from scoring and score if an actual scoring opportunity presents itself. Trying to create something from nothing is 95 out of 100 times a bad idea, and sometimes bad ideas turn into disaster, so don't create disasters.

Is it wrong that I want to punch Jaire Alexander in the face after most of the plays he's involved in and then when he makes a play I want to kick him in the nuts for being a fucking moron? Maybe that's just me.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what it is about the Packer's DBs, but they all have hero ball mentality. Take a knee and let your teammates do their jobs. I'm thinking they need to be sit down in a room and have it explained to them that they play defense for a reason. That reason is they're expected to stop the other team from scoring and score if an actual scoring opportunity presents itself. Trying to create something from nothing is 95 out of 100 times a bad idea, and sometimes bad ideas turn into disaster, so don't create disasters.

Is it wrong that I want to punch Jaire Alexander in the face after most of the plays he's involved in and then when he makes a play I want to kick him in the nuts for being a fucking moron? Maybe that's just me.
Some players love personal stats above team performance. Even when they're good players it's harder to win with them. The NFL contributes to this by adding yards deep into the endzone into kick return stats. A kick returner returning the ball from 6 yards deep to the 15 yard line is accredited with a 21 yard return. However, it's a net 15 yard loss for the team. It'll be hard for players returning kicks from the 7 yard line to match a 21 yard return consistently. Kick return yards are an asterisk.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 445.01
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some players love personal stats above team performance. Even when they're good players it's harder to win with them. The NFL contributes to this by adding yards deep into the endzone into kick return stats. A kick returner returning the ball from 6 yards deep to the 15 yard line is accredited with a 21 yard return. However, it's a net 15 yard loss for the team. It'll be hard for players returning kicks from the 7 yard line to match a 21 yard return consistently. Kick return yards are an asterisk.

Instead of an asterisk they should mark them as idiot plays, it might curtail some of these morons

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I couldn't stay awake two nights in a row to watch that but I did watch some of the first half and caught the hilites. Pretty sloppy as to be expected, especially on the defensive side. Both teams with new defenses so they will need some time but does either secondary look like they scare anybody from passing the ball? A ton of blown coverage throughout the game on both sides. Maybe that shitty field they were playing on a factor. I don't know. Just glad nobody blew out a knee on a no contact play the way they were slipping and sliding around like hockey players with dull skates.
Both QBs pretty erratic. Again, only one game but these teams can't go far with that type of QB play. Hurts getting more turnover prone. Love throwing off his back heels even with a clean pocket. Both these guys need to clean their shit up because it's looking like both teams will need to score a lot of points to win games. Pretty clear the Eagles miss Kelce and Cox a lot. No real surprise there. Good win for the Eagles though so on to next week. Hopefully, that's the last game we ever see in Brazil. Or, at least, on that fucking field.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There are things they can work with.
Given that the last coach never used motion, that's a positive.

My issue with Hurts last night is that there was way too much hero ball, he was not disciplined with the football, and took way too many carries from Barkley on option plays when Barkley was clearly starting to cook that D. We just need Hurts to play point guard with all these talented players. He did play a brilliant last drive to run out the clock, so I know he is capable of playing smart situational football, but he's simply not an elite thrower and needs to play a different type of game.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Love, he appeared to be suffering from extreme leg cramps for much of the second half before the injury, I think his legs were basically rubber by the end.

I think that's weird because it was in the 60s in Brazil all night, not hot and or particularly humid. But sometimes you see this with elite thoroughbred athletes on opening day. I think many take protein supplements also which are known to increase cramping.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I couldn't stay awake two nights in a row to watch that but I did watch some of the first half and caught the hilites. Pretty sloppy as to be expected, especially on the defensive side. Both teams with new defenses so they will need some time but does either secondary look like they scare anybody from passing the ball? A ton of blown coverage throughout the game on both sides. Maybe that shitty field they were playing on a factor. I don't know. Just glad nobody blew out a knee on a no contact play the way they were slipping and sliding around like hockey players with dull skates.
Both QBs pretty erratic. Again, only one game but these teams can't go far with that type of QB play. Hurts getting more turnover prone. Love throwing off his back heels even with a clean pocket. Both these guys need to clean their shit up because it's looking like both teams will need to score a lot of points to win games. Pretty clear the Eagles miss Kelce and Cox a lot. No real surprise there. Good win for the Eagles though so on to next week. Hopefully, that's the last game we ever see in Brazil. Or, at least, on that fucking field.
Jordan Love likely blew out his knee last night.

You’re making a ton of declarations here after one football game (you didn’t fully watch haha) when this was most of the starters first live action of the season.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Eagles were up 2 points. If they kick the FG to go up 5 points and there's a touchback the Packers need to go 70 yards for the win. If they go for the TD and fail they're up 2 points and the Packers are 70 yards away from a FG to win. They should have gone for the TD.
Given what actually happened, with the moronic Packer return guy taking it out to the 15 and wasting seconds, it was clearly the right call.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My issue with Hurts last night is that there was way too much hero ball, he was not disciplined with the football, and took way too many carries from Barkley on option plays when Barkley was clearly starting to cook that D. We just need Hurts to play point guard with all these talented players. He did play a brilliant last drive to run out the clock, so I know he is capable of playing smart situational football, but he's simply not an elite thrower and needs to play a different type of game.
He wasn’t playing hero ball. It’s a product of what’s revealed in the motion. Hurts struggles to understand what he’s seeing. NFL DCs are great with disguising looks. He gets fooled. Motion helps to get a real tell on what the defense is playing.

Hurts issues all stem from reading the defense.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that's true in part, but when you run the plays you still have to be smart, even if the called play isn't there.

Hurts needed to throw away that ball in the end zone that he gifted to Jaire Alexander, that wasn't a play call issue, that was just stupidity and everyone in the stadium saw it. Slide down, throw it away, live to see another day.

Similarly the option runs...those were his calls and he either misread the D or played hero ball or both, but either way almost every one was a terrible decision, the d linemen were overplaying him on those options.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hurts throws a beautiful deep ball but as a pure passer, he's about average. I agree on the hero ball thing. I have no clue why he is trying to force a ball across his body in the red zone when he has a 5 point lead late in the game. It's like the ghost of Carson Wentz possesses his body at times. Maybe they need to have an exorcist on the sideline, lol. He has too many good players and weapons to do that. Just distribute the ball around and quit trying to do too much.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hurts can throw a nice deep ball and make all the throws when properly set, but you can see his arm talent is below average for the NFL. There is not a ton of velocity on some of those throws, especially when he is throwing across his body. He just doesn't generate that kind of torque like a Mahomes or Allen, he's like Kirk Cousins with mobility.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jordan Love likely blew out his knee last night.

You’re making a ton of declarations here after one football game (you didn’t fully watch haha) when this was most of the starters first live action of the season.
I did say it's only one game and obviously, things could change. I also said the field could have been a factor. As for Love, I've been seeing reports that it is likely an ankle, not the knee so who's making the declarations here.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
barkley broke a 90 year eagle record with his 3 tds did,nt he?first time he had a 3 time TD game since hs.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Malik Willis when told he had to go on the field for those final plays

ksganti-prison.gif

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knee pops. Could be a bad one

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that's true in part, but when you run the plays you still have to be smart, even if the called play isn't there.

Hurts needed to throw away that ball in the end zone that he gifted to Jaire Alexander, that wasn't a play call issue, that was just stupidity and everyone in the stadium saw it. Slide down, throw it away, live to see another day.

Similarly the option runs...those were his calls and he either misread the D or played hero ball or both, but either way almost every one was a terrible decision, the d linemen were overplaying him on those options.
Both picks were Hurts not seeing a defender and not accounting for a defender in his read. They both also hit that old QB adage “never throw late over the middle”. I agree with you though. On top of him having to read the defense he has to make better decisions. The two are interwoven.