• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agency updates

BobGnarly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DeMarcus Ware is a Bronco!!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmmm...... seems a little pricey at first glance.....

Well considering most analyst thought on the open market Ware would easily get $12 million a year I think $10 million a year is actually a bit of a discount!

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They used ZBS in the Super Bowl years, yet also used a Fullback in Howard Griffith. Griffith was one of the reasons Terrell Davis enjoyed some of the holes he hit. Not to mention Griffith could also catch the ball when needed. So, no you DON'T have to have a power blocking O-line. We also did a pretty good job keeping the opposing defenses spread out back then too.

I think having a FB would have helped us early on against Seattle too. Could have provided better running, allowing us to move the ball more effectively. Is it the only solution? No, but it's one that's worked for Denver in the past, and Elway up to now seems to be building a team that looks similar to those SB teams he led.

I didn't mean to differentiate between ZB and power blocking schemes, just that if you have a defense spread out it's fewer guys to move, whereas if you've got them packed in you really have to power them out of the way.

I still don't think using a fb would be conducive to Denver's defensive strengths. Let's not forget that the Broncos were still the highest scoring team in NFL history, so I don't think they need to go out and make drastic changes just because they had a bad game in the Super Bowl.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't mean to differentiate between ZB and power blocking schemes, just that if you have a defense spread out it's fewer guys to move, whereas if you've got them packed in you really have to power them out of the way.

I still don't think using a fb would be conducive to Denver's defensive strengths. Let's not forget that the Broncos were still the highest scoring team in NFL history, so I don't think they need to go out and make drastic changes just because they had a bad game in the Super Bowl.

Replacing a blocking TE with a FB who can catch passes is hardly a drastic change to the offense. The biggest factor is the preferences of Manning up to now. The difference is, that it improves our ability to open run lanes. We could have used that in the Super Bowl, and can use that this year, since we have some pretty stout defenses on the docket for 2014.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Replacing a blocking TE with a FB who can catch passes is hardly a drastic change to the offense. The biggest factor is the preferences of Manning up to now. The difference is, that it improves our ability to open run lanes. We could have used that in the Super Bowl, and can use that this year, since we have some pretty stout defenses on the docket for 2014.

How often did Denver use a blocking tight end? It seems to me that most of the offense came from 11 personnel. If you're strictly talking about changing their 12 personnel looks to 21 personnel looks, yeah, that's no big deal. If you're talking about them using less of 11 personnel to go to 21 personnel, I don't think that plays to their offensive strengths.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well considering most analyst thought on the open market Ware would easily get $12 million a year I think $10 million a year is actually a bit of a discount!

Maybe if Ware returns to his old ways. Not so much if he is the same guy who got 6 sacks last season in 13 games......

Of course, it could be the position he played too.....

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How often did Denver use a blocking tight end? It seems to me that most of the offense came from 11 personnel. If you're strictly talking about changing their 12 personnel looks to 21 personnel looks, yeah, that's no big deal. If you're talking about them using less of 11 personnel to go to 21 personnel, I don't think that plays to their offensive strengths.

Yeah that would mean Welker is on the bench or playing out of position a bit. He can play on the outside but his best work is in the middle.

Also hearing now the Broncos are turning their attention to possibly getting Steve Smith. Man he and Talib hate each other so could be interesting with those two on the team. Doubt very much this comes to be though.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to free agency: with the signing of Ware I think it's fair to say that for the third year in a row, the Broncos have won free agency. Coupled with that has been an improvement in the team the following year. 2012 saw the Broncos win free agency with the signing of Manning, and the team went from 8 to 13 wins. 2013 saw the Broncos win free agency with the signing of Welker and DRC, and the team went to the Super Bowl. Hopefully the free agency win this time is the final stepping stone to get the Broncos that championship again.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe if Ware returns to his old ways. Not so much if he is the same guy who got 6 sacks last season in 13 games......

The Broncos are definitely taking a few more risks this off season with signing some guys with some major injury risk. If it pans out though the Broncos just signed a top-3 corner and a top 5 pass rusher to play with a top 3 pass rusher. I think Ware will be motivated by the chance to actually compete for a Super Bowl and that should trickle down to the rest of the team.

You have to remember Ware is the player that Von looks up to most in the NFL. So I think this is two-fold in not only does he help our pass rush but also should work to keep Von on the straight and arrow. I mean who better to keep him in line than having to answer to DeMarcus Ware if Von gets in trouble again?

So again yes there is some major risk with these signings but the Broncos are putting every effort forward to try and win a Super Bowl in the next couple of years while also doing well to build for the future. They still have something like $60-70 million in Cap Space even after these signings for next season.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@MaseDenver 57s
From D that started SB 48, subtract Champ & DRC, but add Ward, Ware, Talib, & Miller, Harris, Vickerson, Moore & Wolfe if all recover...wow.

This right here is what is very exciting. It is not just these 3 signings but also the players coming back from injury. Broncos could have at least 8 different starters on defense that didn't play in the Super Bowl.

HOF-ELWAY-7

Speed Kills
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Of course, it could be the position he played too.....

That's true but you have to look at what was going on. He has been nicked up, yes a big concern and he was also playing in M Kiffen's system and didn't have the talent IE Miller playing with him. If he stays healthy I think he will have a monster year. With Pot Roast, Vickerson, Sly, Wolfe, Jackson, Q Smith (who they're really high on) and D Ware they will be very good upfront. You look at Trevathan and Miller the Broncos should be able to really get after the QB in '14. You should also be comforted by the fact that over half the NFL was after this guy, I know I am.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing that has me a little nervous is that we are spending quite a bit in this FA. I hope we have plans for 2015 when a lot of studs are hitting FA from our team.

The potential of our pickups has me excited but we still have some holes to fill.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing that has me a little nervous is that we are spending quite a bit in this FA. I hope we have plans for 2015 when a lot of studs are hitting FA from our team.

The potential of our pickups has me excited but we still have some holes to fill.

Broncos are sitting very pretty for the Cap. I posted a link yesterday about the Broncos Cap Situation to show that moving forward the Broncos have not handcuffed themselves. The Cap going up next year by quite a bit already takes care of at least one of the big name FA for the Broncos. Essentially here is what the Broncos could do. They can exercise their right for a 5th year option on Von to keep his number down for another year plus this means he is on another 1-year contract so if he messes up the Broncos aren't screwed moving forward. They can use the extra Cap raise to then sign D. Thomas. They can then Franchise Tag J. Thomas keeping his price down. Even if they signed him long term I don't think his cap hit would be as much as some would assume.

Throw in then you have to figure in Manning is coming off the books probably in the next few years freeing up another $20 million in cap space. So if the Broncos have to they can back load a couple of the contracts to have the bulk of the price hit during that time. The reason the Broncos are so good with the Cap though is almost all of their Contracts are front loaded meaning they never handcuff themselves. This allows them to be aggressive when they need to be like this off season.

BobGnarly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What an awesome quote

Last edited by a moderator:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Review from Walter Football -

Broncos sign DE DeMarcus Ware (3 years, $30M; $20M guaranteed): A+ Grade

Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware on the same defense? I think every quarterback in the AFC West just crapped their pants.

Ware is coming off a down year, but if he can get healthy in 2014, he has the potential to lead the NFL in sacks, especially with Miller commanding attention on the other side. Ware has endured several injuries recently, so there's no guarantee that he'll be close to 100 percent, but the risk is definitely worth the reward.

It's just unbelievable that the Broncos are getting deals like this. As a reference, Lamarr Houston, who has 16.5 career sacks, was given nearly as much guaranteed money ($15 million) from Chicago. Michael Johnson, who notched just 3.5 sacks in 2013, received more guaranteed money ($24 million) from Tampa Bay. And my personal favorite, Everson Griffen, who has just one career start, signed a larger contract with Minnesota ($42.5M overall; $20M guaranteed). John Elway is just trolling these teams at this point.

BobGnarly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Review from Walter Football -

Broncos sign DE DeMarcus Ware (3 years, $30M; $20M guaranteed): A+ Grade

Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware on the same defense? I think every quarterback in the AFC West just crapped their pants.

Ware is coming off a down year, but if he can get healthy in 2014, he has the potential to lead the NFL in sacks, especially with Miller commanding attention on the other side. Ware has endured several injuries recently, so there's no guarantee that he'll be close to 100 percent, but the risk is definitely worth the reward.

It's just unbelievable that the Broncos are getting deals like this. As a reference, Lamarr Houston, who has 16.5 career sacks, was given nearly as much guaranteed money ($15 million) from Chicago. Michael Johnson, who notched just 3.5 sacks in 2013, received more guaranteed money ($24 million) from Tampa Bay. And my personal favorite, Everson Griffen, who has just one career start, signed a larger contract with Minnesota ($42.5M overall; $20M guaranteed). John Elway is just trolling these teams at this point.

Actually according to Twitter, Elway offered $9m/year to Griffen as well. Don't know what everyone sees in him

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually according to Twitter, Elway offered $9m/year to Griffen as well. Don't know what everyone sees in him

Hmmm yeah I don't know either. He looks like one of those guys that you love to have on your team for depth but if I am paying that big of a contract I want a starter out of it. That was a big reason we cut Champ and well Kuper retired but would have been cut is they were being paid like starters to sit on the bench.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Legwold the Broncos have right around $10 million in Cap Space left and that is before possibly cutting Dressen and Tamme. So could be looking at $15 million still left. Yes some of that will be saved for the Draft picks and some will be saved in case of injury needing to bring somebody back in plus the Broncos like to keep some for Roll Over money but Broncos could still make a couple more signings this off season.