• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agency updates

BobGnarly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So basically, Elway and Co. are using available cap money to sort of front-load these contracts so they don't hang on us as dead weight later on. Nice.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the skinny on the Talib acquisition:

The Broncos
made a massive move in free agency on the first night, inking Aqib Talib to a $57 million contract. The Patriots countered by signing Darrelle Revis. Meanwhile, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie remains unemployed. It
didn't all have to shake out this way.

According to Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk, the
Broncos inquired about Revis before signing Talib and had a massive deal on the
table for Rodgers-Cromartie as well.

Florio reports that "DRC declined to accept a deal believed to be worth $54
million over six years" which is just about the most ludicrous thing that DRC
could possibly do.

Maybe he wanted more average money per year? I don't know, but if someone
offers you $9 million a year to do (just about) anything, take that money.

DRC didn't and so the Broncos started looking elsewhere. Their first stop was
Revis, but, per PFT, Revis wasn't interested in negotiating down to their price
range. That price range was apparently the six-year, $57 million dollar range
that Talib got.

It's no surprise that Revis wouldn't take less than $10 million a year. He
wants to be the highest-paid cornerback in the NFL and he wants to give himself
options in the future.

That's when the Broncos chased after Talib -- who reportedly only wanted a
three-year deal instead of six -- and locked him down for the long haul.

And, of course, that created a scenario where the Patriots couldn't land
Talib but could chase after Revis.

Meanwhile, DRC keeps just hanging out, hopefully trying to figure out why he
turned down $54 million.

Report: Broncos chased Revis before Talib, offered DRC $54M - CBSSports.com

Wow! That's a big chunk of change that DRC and his agent turned down.

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the understatement of the year: DRC is not very bright.....

Apparently his agent isn't either.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the understatement of the year: DRC is not very bright.....

Apparently his agent isn't either.

They tried to play chicken with John Elway and well don't know many who are going to win that battle. DRC and his agent should have realized this FA Cornerback class had some major quality to it with Verner, Talib, Revis eventually, and even some other 2nd tier guys that the Broncos didn't have to just wait on DRC. Elway is very good at offering guys what he considers is fair market price and saying take it or leave it. He wants to show the players respect by giving them a decent deal but also show they are not going to break the bank to sign them either.

This is where the Broncos have finally become very smart. They know how to work the Cap very well so they never leverage their future.

The skinny on the Talib deal is he is actually only guaranteed $11.5 million at this point.

These guys do a better job of explaining it...

Aqib Talib's 6-year deal with Denver is more like a 3-year, $27 million deal. More reasonable than advertised. $18M thru 2. $12M in Year 1.

Jason_OTC @Jason_OTC
Here is the full breakdown on Aqib Talibs contract. could be 1 year rental. At most probably 3 for $27 #Broncos http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=A...B&Team=Broncos

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero
Of the $57M total on Talib's 6-year deal, only $11.5M is fully gtd and $30M comes in non-gtd base salaries from 2017 to '19. #Broncos

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero
If all hell breaks loose (barring injury), #Broncos could cut Aqib Talib after this season, owe him $0 more, take a $4M cap hit and be done

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really wanted DRC back, but to hear he turned down that kind of deal KIND OF makes me glad he won't be back. What a bonehead. Can't wait to see what he actually ends up signing and with who.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I take it as a good sign when division rival fans are worried about the broncos FA signings. I am from the KC area and have several friends that are chiefs fans. One guy's comment was "Ward, Talib, and now Ware? How can the broncos sign all these studs and we cannot afford anyone." One guy alluded to the broncos already wrapping up the AFC West.

There were also the hater comments about the broncos being in cap trouble in a couple of years. They are going to be depressed when that isn't the case.

Miked383

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I take it as a good sign when division rival fans are worried about the broncos FA signings. I am from the KC area and have several friends that are chiefs fans. One guy's comment was "Ward, Talib, and now Ware? How can the broncos sign all these studs and we cannot afford anyone." One guy alluded to the broncos already wrapping up the AFC West.

There were also the hater comments about the broncos being in cap trouble in a couple of years. They are going to be depressed when that isn't the case.

Yeah, that is the best part. The last I read the cap next year will be around $140 million. Right now with allocated contracts the Broncos have about $93 million allocated to the 2015 cap. Figure after signing rookies and a few other situational players that will be closer to $100 million but still leaving close to $40 million to re-sign Von, JT, DT, Chris Harris and Pot Roast.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The funny ones were the posters completely unaware of Denver's cap situation calling for an investigation into how they signed so many FA's :L

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone know if we r looking at j.thomas and d. Thomas to not let them hit fa next year.. When do u all see this happening.. not a fan of franchising either of them.. would like to lock them up

You would not even see this begin to be addressed till after the rookies are signed and the beginning of camp or after the season is over and prior to the start of the new season.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, contracts are leaning toward guaranteed money vice signing bonuses.

It depends on the team for this. You look at the Saints and they just gave Byrd a nice little signing bonus to try and keep his first year cap hit low. Teams squeezed up against the Cap try to do this on a more regular basis. Problem is they never seem to be able to get away from it. Cowboys and Raiders were two that did this for years. Raiders wised up and took the 2-year bath that you have to when doing that. Thankfully they continue to throw money at mediocre players and let the actual talented ones on their team go sign for reasonable contracts with other teams. Jerry Jones has become the new Al Davis of the NFL and looks like he is going to keep trying to do everything he can to stay competitive until he dies.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It depends on the team for this. You look at the Saints and they just gave Byrd a nice little signing bonus to try and keep his first year cap hit low. Teams squeezed up against the Cap try to do this on a more regular basis. Problem is they never seem to be able to get away from it. Cowboys and Raiders were two that did this for years. Raiders wised up and took the 2-year bath that you have to when doing that. Thankfully they continue to throw money at mediocre players and let the actual talented ones on their team go sign for reasonable contracts with other teams. Jerry Jones has become the new Al Davis of the NFL and looks like he is going to keep trying to do everything he can to stay competitive until he dies.

I meant from us. :lol:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith resigned with Baltimore. 4yr, $16 M.

Well that sucks. He was the last piece of FA that I was hoping the Broncos would push hard for. Not really seeing anybody that is of interest. I know some will say Brandon Spikes but I think he is just way too expensive and is only a 2-down Linebacker in my opinion. Need a guy who can cover. Might just have to go to the draft to fill that MLB position now.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All quiet on the Knowshon Moreno front. Anybody's guess at this point as to whether he'll be back or shuffle on down the road. Pretty interesting how far down the priority list running backs in the NFL have become these days!

MH64

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All quiet on the Knowshon Moreno front. Anybody's guess at this point as to whether he'll be back or shuffle on down the road. Pretty interesting how far down the priority list running backs in the NFL have become these days!

MH64

Love the guy and know he`ll find spot with somebody but because Denver wants to see what they have in Ball and CJ I think he`s done in Denver. Some teams I think he might be a good fit for... Dallas, Pitts burgh, SD for instance. Yeah, as far as rbs go now, you better be good at pass protection and have good hands in the pass heavy NFL now. That`s why I think Moreno stands out above many of the other FA rbs out there. He`ll find a home and whoever the team is they`ll benifit from signing him IMO.

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure why the Broncos feel so set with Ball, CJ and Hillman going forward. I do like the moves we've made up to this point after hearing all the details, but I just can't see why we don't throw a deal at Knowshon. He's a dual threat, 1500 total yard, 10+ TD running back that just finally showed that he can stay healthy for a whole year. I think alot of us were just waiting for him to go down this year, but he never did, and he also seemed to remedy the fumbilitis too. Overall, I was very pleasantly surprised with him this past season

At this point, I think he'd jump all over a deal in the $3 mil a year range, and I don't know why we're not at least trying to feel him out.

I do like what I saw from Ball towards the latter part of the year, and Hillman has shown flashes, but nothing consistent.

I don't know.....I guess in a way I kinda feel bad for Knowshon and want him to get signed, preferably here. He was finally able to shed the fumble, injury prone label last year, and what does he get? Not a damn thing :faint2:

I know it's still way early in FA and that RB just aren't the priority they once were, but jeez.......he had a monster year by most accounts, and you'd think somebody would've scooped him up by now.

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been a Knowshon fan since his college days, and I am hoping he comes back on a deal similar to what you just pointed out. A short 2 year, 3 mil per should do it.

If for no other reason than the fact that he was pretty darn good in pass protection last year......

The market for RBs is as dead as can be, so maybe we are just giving him a chance to see if anyone will knock him over with a deal. When that doesn't happen, perhaps we hold the upper hand and can get him for even cheaper.

I thought for sure Atlanta would snap him up.