• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agency Thread

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we see a whole ton of new name FA's on the team due to cap issues and our own FA's like Houston and Hudson. I'm going to throw up this thread anyways just for commentary among other possible outcomes.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From: Chiefs need to pay Justin Houston with no expenses - Arrowhead Pride

"[Justin Houston] is now currently just the 10th man with 20 or more sacks in a season since the stat became official in 1982. Five of the nine others are in the Hall of Fame. Three others are still playing, maybe even get there one day. He has recorded 48.5 sacks in his first four seasons than all but seven men:

Reggie White, Derrick Thomas, J.J Watt, DeMarcus Ware, Dwight Freeney, Richard Dent, and Von Miller."

After reading those names, I can't see how anyone can't be impressed. That contract may possibly hit 100M.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sherrod (OT) and Da'Rick Rogers (WR) have been signed. Both may make the 53 next year; Sherrod is a former 1st round pick that has dealt with injuries and lack of production in the past. Rogers has a good deal of talent himself including 4.3 speed, but he is kind of a knucklehead- he is probably at the last of his rope; same with Sherrod.

Last edited by a moderator:

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sherrod (OT) and Da'Rick Rogers (WR) have been signed. Both may make the 53 next year; Sherrod is a former 1st round pick that has dealt with injuries and lack of production in the past. Rogers has a good deal of talent himself including 4.3 speed, but he is kind of a knucklehead- he is probably at the last of his rope; same with Sherrod.

lol we already have Bowe. how many more knuckleheads we gonna get...?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fox is out - if Manning retires, how do you think that affects free agency for the Chiefs? Do you guys have the money? Will guys put production (perhaps less with Smith so go to another team) over money?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fox is out - if Manning retires, how do you think that affects free agency for the Chiefs? Do you guys have the money? Will guys put production (perhaps less with Smith so go to another team) over money?

I don't think it will change a whole ton outside of expectations on the field turning into winning the division if Manning retires. Playoffs should be expected either way after going 20-12 in DoReido's first two seasons here post 2-14. I think we are in a tricky position when it comes to the cap due to some big contracts looming, but not quite in cap hell either if Dorsey plays his cards right.

John Dorsey is a Packers guy, so past Packers FO decisions could give us an idea of what will happen. Usually, they aren't huge players in FA for outside talent and usually have an OL bloated with OT's in the draft; could change though with a generally well regarded true-C in Rodney Hudson, but we'll see. On the flip side, John Dorsey isn't Ted Thompson in the same way Reggie McKenzie of the Raiders isn't. I do think we'll have a pretty decent idea of who Dorsey is after 3 years of FA and the draft. Too many large contracts coming up like Houston, Hudson, and Poe in the near future to make me think this team goes all in with FA. If I had to have one FA, I would probably want Orlando Franklin to play LG, however.

I think Tamba Hali and Dwayne Bowe's status is more likely to get the Chiefs more involved in FA than anything else due to the money they are tying up. Tamba Hali is getting older (and only 6 sacks this season) with a 1st round pick behind him in Dee Ford; and a 25 year old with 22 sacks on the other side in Justin Houston. Meanwhile, there's Dwayne Bowe who is getting paid over 10 Million dollars to produce like a solid #2 option- that can't continue.

Another question is just how much money Berry gets. He can technically be paid nothing against the cap if he is put on the NFL list due to the nature of his situation (I think that's what it's called) but it's pretty doubtful he doesn't affect the cap in some way. The PR nightmare from not paying him would be disastrous... outside of it being a pretty despicable way of manipulating the cap. I'd imagine Ron Parker and Coleman would be guys we should expect to be resigned just because of the void Berry is going to be leaving at safety. McKray I don't know much about at safety at the NFL level, but he was a pretty solid ST'er from what I could tell.

With the signing of Pryor, I'd imagine Chase Daniel will be cut in favor of what will probably be Aaron Murray. Seems really unlikely to me they carry 5 QB's into OTA's, so that's another nick into the Chiefs' cap picture.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unrestricted:

Jason Avant, WR
Kurt Coleman, S
Thomas Gafford, LS
Richard Gordon, TE
Ryan Harris, OT
Justin Houston, LB
Rodney Hudson, C
Jeffrey Linkenbach, OL
Josh Mauga, LB
Mike McGlynn, OL
Joe McKnight, RB
Chris Owens, CB
Ron Parker, DB
Kevin Vickerson, DL

Restricted:

Dezman Moses, LB
Kelcie McCray, S

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unrestricted:

Jason Avant, WR
Kurt Coleman, S
Thomas Gafford, LS

Richard Gordon, TE
Ryan Harris, OT
Justin Houston, LB
Rodney Hudson, C

Jeffrey Linkenbach, OL
Josh Mauga, LB
Mike McGlynn, OL
Joe McKnight, RB
Chris Owens, CB
Ron Parker, DB
Kevin Vickerson, DL

Restricted:

Dezman Moses, LB
Kelcie McCray, S

Would not be upset to see the bolded players come back.

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If McKnight can get healthy again I'd really like to see him back, he's got some upside still. I like the Rogers and even Sherrod signings, Rogers was someone i wanted them to draft a few years ago. And what about possibly going after Cobb in FA?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If McKnight can get healthy again I'd really like to see him back, he's got some upside still. I like the Rogers and even Sherrod signings, Rogers was someone i wanted them to draft a few years ago. And what about possibly going after Cobb in FA?

I'd be ok with McKnight coming back. I'd be wary of relying on him for much though.

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a feature back or anything but a guy who's got as much ability as anyone not named Charles on the roster. I think he would've had a nice year and finally seems to be in the right situation.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a feature back or anything but a guy who's got as much ability as anyone not named Charles on the roster. I think he would've had a nice year and finally seems to be in the right situation.

i'm with you guys on McKnight, but that's probably because i'm a USC guy...:lol:

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am certainly not opposed to McKnight, but I have to say I am curious as to what we have on the PS in West.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm with you guys on McKnight, but that's probably because i'm a USC guy...:lol:

Man, that Leonard Williams guy looks like a freak out there. A shame he will be gone in the first three picks. Could you imagine Williams, Poe, and Bailey on the same DL?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Justin Houston Watch has begun.

After not being able to come to agreement with Houston last offseason, the Chiefs now have a little over two months to either figure out a new contract for Houston or designate him as a franchise player. It is believed Houston is aiming for a maximum contract since he’s coming off a rookie deal that was based on him being a third round pick. And if Spotrac is correct, Houston is about to get paid very well after coming off a 22-sack season.

Spotrac broke down the situation this morning in a post and gave their final prediction. Here’s what they came up with.
Houston has increased productivity in every season, rounding off 2014 with one of the better seasons in NFL history. He’ll be highly sought should he hit the market – but all signs point to the Chiefs doing anything possible to not let that happen. Our base value of $13.665M per season ranks him as the 4th highest average paid defensive end, and the top paid outside lineback in football.

When factoring in our prime percentages, our final prediction becomes: 6 years, $92,670,276.

Yeah, that’s some serious cash.

The average annual value would put Houston’s deal around $15.5 million with just under $49 million of the $92.67 million coming to him as guaranteed cash.

This would make his total value less than J.J. Watt and Mario Williams, but give him the second highest true guaranteed money value behind Watt. Seems like a fair deal.

M
Should the Chiefs choose to franchise Houston they would be taking on a one-year, $16.5 (estimated) million cap hit.

So dealing with this issue now is probably in the best interest of the Chiefs.

Figuring out the Chiefs’ salary cap number is a little difficult because the NFL hasn’t set the actual cap number for the 2015 season.
Conservative estimates have the cap number at $140 million – a number the Chiefs are presently over – but some reports suggest the cap could go as high as $150 million

We’ve discussed some of the players who could end up getting the axe from the Chiefs this offseason and those players would open up plenty of room for the Chiefs to add Houston, free agent center Rodney Hudson, and a free agent or two.
Kansas City offered Houston an extension last off-season but Houston balked at the numbers, choosing to play out the rest of his contract and prove his value. I’ll say that risk paid of rather well. John Dorsey must now decide if he wants to pay Houston at his peak value or if he wants to flip Houston for a large package of draft picks.
It’s going to be a fascinating offseason for the Chiefs, and a rich one for Houston.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently the Dorsey and Houston camps have yet to talk since the conclusion of the season.

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So..umm..did anyone even know Bray tore his ACL....at home?:wtf2:

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I guess the QB depth chart could be this if we cut or trade (fat chance of a trade) Chase Daniel.

1. Smith
2. Murray
3. Pryor

Bray IR?