• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Freaking Dodgers win on Uribe HR

Old1949

Geriatric Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey OLD1949 ... I'm guessing the 1949 is a key part of your ID! Mine would be 1946. An oldtime Dodger fan. Haven't really run into one in quite some time. As a kid I spent many a day at Ebbets Field as well as the Polo Grounds. Never really 'hated' the Dodgers back then. Actually knew quite a bit about them. Knew some stuff about the Yankees but we never played them. Can't actually remember going to Yankee Stadium. Wow, old time Dodgers. Brings back names like Campanella, Hodges, Gilliam, Reese, Amoros, Snider, Furillo, Newcombe, Maglie (as a Dodger), Erskine and of course Drysdale and Koufax! My neighbor's uncle was Eddie Lopat. A pretty good Dodger pitcher. I can still remember some of the old time TOPS baseball cards. Still remember collecting them. Great time to be a kid. The one thing I don't think I will ever forget is the smell of the bubble gum 'slab' that was in each pack of cards. Baseball as a kid was very similar to an actual religion back then. I still remember listening to quite a few games on the radio. One of thiose old table top models with the platic coated wires that were the antenna. I very faint memories of Robinson and also Ted Williams. may have seen them once or twice in passing. These were also the days of Willie, Mickey and the Duke. Also the days I put baseball card in the spokes of my bike for sound effects. Wonder how many of those cards would be worth some money today. I'm sure I had both the Mays and Mantle rookie cards back them and treated them as such .... straight to my bike spokes. What did I care about players I never heard of. My dad was always buying me baseball cards as a kid. I'm guessing that at 5 years old I had a shoebox full 'stars' .... that my dad brought home for me ...... wish I still had that shoebox!

Great memories SF11704! I guess I'll have to yield to the senior member of the group (yep, by 3 years). I grew up in eastern VA, so I wasn't fortunate enough to attend any major league games. However, we did have a Dodgers minor league team in my town, and I got hooked when my dad would take me to the games. I can still remember seeing Junior Gilliam play there when I saw only about 5 or 6 years old. When we finally got an old black and white TV, I'd watch the games every Saturday, with Dizzy Dean and Peewee Reese doing the announcing. At world series time, no matter who or where you were, you were listening to the world series on the radio. Many a night I've gone to sleep with a transistor radio under my pillow listening to a Koufax or Drysdale pitched game. Marichal sure gave us fits back then! Baseball was a lot different back then, and to my way of thinking, a lot better. These kids today don't really understand what baseball is all about. Things like the high salaries, designated hitter, too many teams in too many divisions, wild cards, etc. have detracted from the game in my opinion. Today, it's big business and all about making money, rather than about love of the game. But at least you and I have some good memories.

I vividly remember walking to the neighborhood country store (almost daily) to buy bubble gum so I could get the cards. I had a ton of great cards that today I'm sure would be worth a lot of money. I think I had a Mickey Mantle rookie card too. Unfortunately, when I left home to go to college, my mom, not understanding that they had value, threw them all away. Oh well, life goes on.

I hope you'll enjoy watching the rest of the playoffs and the world series this year, SF11704, even though your Giants didn't make it. There should be some good games. Better luck to your team next year.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt. Total fucking shitshow for Giants fans. Really, Uribe AND Wilson? What next, they gonna bring Renteria back for the NLCS and get a series ender outta him?

God damnit, Dodger fucks. Frankly since I became a Giants fan later in life like 20+ years ago, I never really got the Dodger hate in my gut, the Dodgers weren't good most of that time. But fuck now I'm all in. HATE those fuckers.

Good points all, but it's a sports chat board. 'Hate' is not meant literally, at least not for most well-adjusted fans. I don't actually 'hate' the Dodgers or their players in the way I 'hate' say Osama Bin Laden. We don't literally want to kill the umps either, even when we say 'kill the ump!'

:wtf2:

Last edited by a moderator:

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate the Dodgers. :thumb::bump::lm::ss:

I hope they get their butts kicked in the playoffs.:clap:

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dude, I have you pegged as a pretty smart guy...please justify my assessment and read the rest of the second excerpt and get back to me. I was responding to Old1949 who rightly pointed out that it's too strong to LITERALLY (hi cal!) 'hate' a team.

It's just sports you guys. I want the Dodgers to lose every game. I actually hate very few people or things in this world.

I agree it's kind of complicated. I hate the Dodgers, I just don't literally HATE the Dodgers. I hate them in the message board sense, not in the real life sense.

beefman138

I like cheese
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SF11704 & Old1949. I'd love to have a beer with you guys!

The fact that you guys were there for the real Giants/Dodgers rivalry is incredible. All this S.F. Vs L.A. crap makes no sense.

I'm an Aussie who has been following baseball since I was 8 years old (1987), and I've loved the Dodgers since then, for one reason : L.A. is where our flight landed. So I consider L.A. to be my U.S. hometown. My parents may have lived in Roanoke in the 70's, but Virginia has never had a 'real' team.

I always loved the Giants as well as the Dodgers, because we were both pioneers in taking our teams out West. I've heard about the whole 'rivalry' thing, and it just doesn't make sense to me. Both our teams have so much to be proud of!

Polo Grounds, Ebbets Field, etc... Mathewson, Mays, McCovey, Thomson, Bonds, Bonds, Posey... Campanella, Koufax, Drysdale, Snider, Piazza, Kemp, Kershaw,

What a great rivalry. It ought to be celebrated, and I would pay good money to be seated with both you guys, just to hear more of your stories!

Beef

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The fact that you guys were there for the real Giants/Dodgers rivalry is incredible. All this S.F. Vs L.A. crap makes no sense.

I'm an Aussie who has been following baseball since I was 8 years old (1987), and I've loved the Dodgers since then, for one reason : L.A. is where our flight landed. So I consider L.A. to be my U.S. hometown. My parents may have lived in Roanoke in the 70's, but Virginia has never had a 'real' team.

I always loved the Giants as well as the Dodgers, because we were both pioneers in taking our teams out West. I've heard about the whole 'rivalry' thing, and it just doesn't make sense to me. Both our teams have so much to be proud of!

Polo Grounds, Ebbets Field, etc... Mathewson, Mays, McCovey, Thomson, Bonds, Bonds, Posey... Campanella, Koufax, Drysdale, Snider, Piazza, Kemp, Kershaw,

What a great rivalry. It ought to be celebrated, and I would pay good money to be seated with both you guys, just to hear more of your stories!

Beef

Beef,

The rivalry stems from 2 factors...

1) History. The two teams were rivals before coming west. It just carried over from that.

2) BA vs LA. These two areas "HATE" each other (in the message board vernacular). The Niners and Lambs used to be heated rivals, but when the Lambs moved to St Louis, the rivalry pretty much dried up.

The Spanks and Redsox is more of a Boston vs NY rivalry. Phils and Mets is a Phily vs NY rivalry. Same deal with Giants and doggies

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Beef

Different subject, new response...

You claim the dogs to be "our team", but you list the Cubs as your fave. How did you come to be a Cub fan?

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Different subject, new response...

You claim the dogs to be "our team", but you list the Cubs as your fave. How did you come to be a Cub fan?

WHAT? Do I get to teach CALSNOW something today??
:gossip: (Look at what his "teams" spell)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WHAT? Do I get to teach CALSNOW something today??
:gossip: (Look at what his "teams" spell)

HA!!!!

:dunce:

Sometimes my sports-nut-ness blocks my ability to see others' sports nuts...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say that his choice of "teams" is about as far from 'nuts' as you can get ... :drum:

If that is the case, I feel sorry for him.

Or maybe I should feel sorry for you for thinking such a thing...

beefman138

I like cheese
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beef,

The rivalry stems from 2 factors...

1) History. The two teams were rivals before coming west. It just carried over from that.

2) BA vs LA. These two areas "HATE" each other (in the message board vernacular). The Niners and Lambs used to be heated rivals, but when the Lambs moved to St Louis, the rivalry pretty much dried up.

The Spanks and Redsox is more of a Boston vs NY rivalry. Phils and Mets is a Phily vs NY rivalry. Same deal with Giants and doggies

I think the rivalry is more between fans and media alike.

The players, particularly in years gone by, have got along pretty well off the field. They love to beat each other, but they also know how to leave all of the crap that happens during games where it belongs - on the field.

Us fans, however, keep all of the crap going off the field. Because we're awesome, in our own silly way.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the rivalry is more between fans and media alike.

The players, particularly in years gone by, have got along pretty well off the field. They love to beat each other, but they also know how to leave all of the crap that happens during games where it belongs - on the field.

Us fans, however, keep all of the crap going off the field. Because we're awesome, in our own silly way.

When the Giants left for SF I was 12 years old. I think a kid's description of a fan is much different than an adult. Also in the 1950's the sport itself was different. You just had a National League and an American League. Didn't have all the levels of playoffs. Just a 7 game WS. Many a year we were out of it in June. When they talk about playoff records you really can't compare now to then. Niow you can go 19 games. Back then the most was 7. I don't remember hating on any team. Everything seemed to be wrapped around my team. The Giants!. I was elated with each win and crushed by each loss. Really didn't care what another team did unless it directly affected the Giants chances at the NL title. Also played quite a bit of ball during these early years. I think as a kid these ball players were heroes and models to me. Hell, I wanted to be a ball player! As you get older that dream dies and you sort of adjust to being just a 'fan'.
As a kid I had access to both ballparks. Both the Piolo Grounds and Ebbets Field were reachable by public transportation. Spent time in both of them. Never embraced anything about the Yankees. Probably because they were in the AL and I knew very little abouit them other than what the Baseball cards game me. Back then I collected baseball cards .... on a pack by pack basis. Never knew you could buy the entire collection at once. Sort of glad I didn't. That was a great part of my childhood. Collecting the TOPS cards for that baseball season was always fun. Different series of cards came out at different times. It was an amazing event for a 10 year. The Dodger and Giant rivalry was something I always remembered. I actually think I was taught about the rivaly by my father. Almost like a father to son exchange of the baton! And it was fueled by the geographic closeness of the two teams abnd that fact they they were both NL teams. The Yankees and the Mets have the same geographic closeness but not the same level of rivalry. I don't believe that there is any issues between team players but I can tell you that Met and Yankee fans DO NOT agree on anything. I can also be about 95% sure that a Met fan will NEVER root for the Yankees in any playoff situation and the same can be said in the opposite direction. I have seen Met fans pulling for both the Phillies and the Braves because they were playing the Yankees.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was always curious, maybe you New Yorkers can help me with it. I know about the Dodger Giant rivalry and where it came from. But for years NY had the 3 teams, Dodgers, Giants, and Yankees. At that time was there as much rivalry between the Yankees and Giants or Yankees and Dodgers? Seems like there should have been, and should be now, but the Yankess now obviously most rival the Red Sox.

Just curious if it was a 3 way thing before the late 50s.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was always curious, maybe you New Yorkers can help me with it. I know about the Dodger Giant rivalry and where it came from. But for years NY had the 3 teams, Dodgers, Giants, and Yankees. At that time was there as much rivalry between the Yankees and Giants or Yankees and Dodgers? Seems like there should have been, and should be now, but the Yankess now obviously most rival the Red Sox.

For me personally there was no rivalry between the Yankees and the Giants. I think the reason was because they were in different leagues and would never meet unless you were in a WS with them. The 154 game season was never affected by anything the Yankees accomplished or didn't accomplish. Without inter-league play their was no real impact that the other team could have. The Dodgers were different,. They were in the NL and you played them ... I think 14 times. So there was a built in rivalry the flourshed under this scenario. If the Dodgers won the pennant that meant that the Giants didn't. Without the chance of a wildcard spot it was always 'take it all or nothing'.

The only rivalry I can remember between all THREE teams was centered around their individual 'superstar'. For us it was Willie. For the Dodgers it was the Duke and for the Yankees it was Mickey. There always seemed to be some hot debate about which player was better. For me it was a simple choice ... Willie! As a Giant fan there couldn't be anyone else.

But from an 'owners' perspective there always must have been some sort of a rivalry. You were in fact trying to capture the same fan base. Not sure how you did that though. I still think that if you grew up in a Dodger household ... you became a Dodger fan. Same for the Giants and the Yankees.

But I do remember that as a kid the daily papers were always filled with stories about all three teams. That's usually where you got your informnation from about the other two teams. I don't remember them playing favorites though. Maybe as you drew close to the WS if we had a team in the running they would capture most of the headlines.

Old1949

Geriatric Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Beefman that this whole hyper-rivalry thing between Giants and Dodgers fans is silly. It has gone to the point of even killing each other, for God's sake. This is just a game, people. Step back into the real universe. Let your team's quality of play speak for itself, not your guns, knives, fists, and hateful words.

SF11704, your words express my sentiments about baseball as well as anyone I've encountered on these boards. As I said in an earlier post, many of the younger people, who haven't experienced what you and I have, just don't understand. We may as well be talking a foreign language. We just grew up in a different time and a different world.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me personally there was no rivalry between the Yankees and the Giants. I think the reason was because they were in different leagues and would never meet unless you were in a WS with them. The 154 game season was never affected by anything the Yankees accomplished or didn't accomplish. Without inter-league play their was no real impact that the other team could have. The Dodgers were different,. They were in the NL and you played them ... I think 14 times. So there was a built in rivalry the flourshed under this scenario. If the Dodgers won the pennant that meant that the Giants didn't. Without the chance of a wildcard spot it was always 'take it all or nothing'.

The only rivalry I can remember between all THREE teams was centered around their individual 'superstar'. For us it was Willie. For the Dodgers it was the Duke and for the Yankees it was Mickey. There always seemed to be some hot debate about which player was better. For me it was a simple choice ... Willie! As a Giant fan there couldn't be anyone else.

But from an 'owners' perspective there always must have been some sort of a rivalry. You were in fact trying to capture the same fan base. Not sure how you did that though. I still think that if you grew up in a Dodger household ... you became a Dodger fan. Same for the Giants and the Yankees.

But I do remember that as a kid the daily papers were always filled with stories about all three teams. That's usually where you got your informnation from about the other two teams. I don't remember them playing favorites though. Maybe as you drew close to the WS if we had a team in the running they would capture most of the headlines.

Oops, yeah that's obvious. AL vs NL. Yankees vs Red Sox in the AL.

:L :doh:

Old1949

Geriatric Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As a young Dodgers fan, I viewed the Yankees as the Darth Vaders of the baseball world. I won't use the word hate, but let it be understood that we didn't like them very much. I think that is because they so often beat us in the world series. It was a rarity for the Yankees to not win the AL pennant, and usually also the WS. They were viewed as kind of a privileged lot. Of course, we preferred ANY NL team to ANY AL team. If it came to the Yankees playing the Giants, you can bet we'd be rooting for the Giants. I can't recall any animosity I really had for any other NL teams. Rather than liking one team and hating the rest, it was more of team A is my favorite, team B is my 2nd favorite, team C my 3rd favorite, etc. My attitude towards the Giants was that they were always fierce competition and tough to beat, not that I hated them or that there was a specific rivalry.