• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Frank Gore and 8 man fronts

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I think that the 49ers are starting to change out of run plays when they see those 8-man fronts. I noticed Alex Smith in the Clevelland game giving some sort of sign that looked like an illegal procedure call once he got to the line which looked like it indicated he was changing the play at the line. Every time I saw that 8-man front I'd throw the slant or throw in a stop and go from time to time.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea this is what always bothers me the most when people say Gore is overrated, He has never had help from his passing game. I still see people rank him under Hearst and Waters, but those two had it easy compared to Gore. Imagine Gore with Steve Young, and our old Offensive lines. But I guess since those guys where part of peoples favorite teams, they get more love by default?

Gore deserves more credit than he gets, the guy is about to be our all time leading rusher with almost zero help in his career.

Last edited by a moderator:

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
With Harbaugh's 3 TE sets with Sopoaga and Staley in there and eligible I'd expect a bunch of 8 man fronts. :-)

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This seems to be one of the ways the 49ers are countering those 8 man fronts.

GC: "I gotta tell you - I think Harbaugh is doing as good a job as there is in this league with what he has. And you know how I feel about Alex Smith. It's not personal knock on Alex Smith. Why do you think Jim Harbaugh is doing what he's doing? He's telling you - I don't have to tell you - he's telling you what he thinks of Alex Smith. He's managing him. He's manipulating him so he can be successful. Look what they did on the Frank Gore touchdown, which they came back to later in the game. You want some real football jargon? We call that a five-man surface. They had five players to the right on the line of scrimmage of the offensive center. Four of them were offensive linemen, and the fifth was Sopoaga. I don't think I've ever seen that in the National Football League. I've seen five-man surfaces, but they normally have a couple of tight ends as part of it. They had four offensive linemen and a nose tackle. ... He's understanding the ranges and limitations of his offensive personnel, and he's maximizing the strengths and minimizing the limitations. And you know what that's called? Coaching."

Read more: 49ers Blog and Q&A: Harbaugh, 49ers calling plays even film gurus haven't seen before

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea this is what always bothers me the most when people say Gore is overrated, He has never had help from his passing game. I still see people rank him under Hearst and Waters, but those two had it easy compared to Gore. Imagine Gore with Steve Young, and our old Offensive lines. But I guess since those guys where part of peoples favorite teams, they get more love by default?

Gore deserves more credit than he gets, the guy is about to be our all time leading rusher with almost zero help in his career.

if we had drafted gore in 1995, steve young might have went down as the best qb in nfl history

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think a 12 year old Frank Gore would struggle to run the ball in the NFL.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Gore is the best back we have ever had. Well, since I have been around anyway. I can't speak about the guys before I was alive .

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Agreed!

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if we had drafted gore in 1995, steve young might have went down as the best qb in nfl history

If the Niners had a RB who was actually committed to blocking (unlike Phillips), perhaps Young would have had a chance to test your theory.