• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Four Seasons Loco Coffee and Total Landscaping Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trump used "In the Air Tonight" at his rally in Pennsylvania earlier today.

giphy.gif

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trump used "In the Air Tonight" at his rally in Pennsylvania earlier today.

giphy.gif
Well, if they told me he was drowning, I would not lend a hand.

To recap his song choices:
Fortunate Son - About richs kid dodging the draft, and poor ones who object not being able to
YMCA - A song about a place to go find young gay lovers
In the air tonight - A song about waiting your whole life to seek revenge

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fortunate Son - About richs kid dodging the draft, and poor ones who object not being able to
:pound:

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if they told me he was drowning, I would not lend a hand.

Wonder when he just goes with:

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if Ross Perot stayed home GHWB would’ve been a two term president, Gore never would’ve been a VP and probably never would’ve come close to the presidency. It’s pointless to go backwards and vilify anybody for running for President. You guys are where you are.

I always see this argument about Gore and the environment but did he really make much of a thing about climate change prior to leaving government?

And even on him being President on 9/11, he ran on using the surplus to increase the military budget and selected Joe Lieberman as VP, a guy who was already pretty hawkish as it was and was the biggest proponent of creating the DHS. We may have avoided Iraq but that isn’t certain. Gore benefitted very highly from the “what if” scenario given how poor a job his conquerer did.
That's considered pretty doubtful actually. HW Bush was very much a cold-war Republican where his entire platform was based on the strong military-industrial response that ramped up under Reagan. That's what propelled him to a landslide victory in 1988. But then the Soviet Union collapses a year into his first term (I'm using the Berlin Wall as the symbolic starting point, knowing full well the ball was already rolling before that).

On top of that, the economy collapses for various reasons (end of Cold War, savings and loans, and the Persian Gulf War) and Bush breaks his most visible promise ("read my lips, no new taxes") so he was already extremely vulnerable. He also had to fend off a surprisingly strong challenge from Pat Buchanan (side note: fuck Pat Buchanan).

Perot meanwhile polled surprisingly well among both Republicans and blue collar Dems (the so called Regan Dems who tended to favor social liberalism but economic conservatism) because of his stances on taxes, NAFTA (agreed in principle but not yet signed by that point), and made in America positions, so it's widely considered that his voter share was more-or-less the same from both HW and Clinton.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's considered pretty doubtful actually. HW Bush was very much a cold-war Republican where his entire platform was based on the strong military-industrial response that ramped up under Reagan. That's what propelled him to a landslide victory in 1988. But then the Soviet Union collapses a year into his first term (I'm using the Berlin Wall as the symbolic starting point, knowing full well the ball was already rolling before that).

On top of that, the economy collapses for various reasons (end of Cold War, savings and loans, and the Persian Gulf War) and Bush breaks his most visible promise ("read my lips, no new taxes") so he was already extremely vulnerable. He also had to fend off a surprisingly strong challenge from Pat Buchanan (side note: fuck Pat Buchanan).

Perot meanwhile polled surprisingly well among both Republicans and blue collar Dems (the so called Regan Dems who tended to favor social liberalism but economic conservatism) because of his stances on taxes, NAFTA (agreed in principle but not yet signed by that point), and made in America positions, so it's widely considered that his voter share was more-or-less the same from both HW and Clinton.
Of the 12 states that Clinton won By fewer than 5% over Bush Perot had over 20% of the popular vote in 6 of them; only one of those states wasn’t a Republican stronghold before that election and that’s Ohio.

Meanwhile of the 6 states Bush won by fewer than 5% over Clinton only Florida wasn’t a typical Republican stronghold.

I think the fact Clinton took so many GOP states by so little while Bush struggled to keep some others, all in places Perot did well, tells me he had a stronger impact on Bush’s defeat than he gets credit for.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

While suffering from Black Lung, he lobbied his buddies to reduce regulations that sought to stop people from getting black lung.

Then, he filed for bankruptcy to avoid paying for the medical care of all his employees who got black lung.

Eat Shit, Bob.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of the 12 states that Clinton won By fewer than 5% over Bush Perot had over 20% of the popular vote in 6 of them; only one of those states wasn’t a Republican stronghold before that election and that’s Ohio.

Meanwhile of the 6 states Bush won by fewer than 5% over Clinton only Florida wasn’t a typical Republican stronghold.

I think the fact Clinton took so many GOP states by so little while Bush struggled to keep some others, all in places Perot did well, tells me he had a stronger impact on Bush’s defeat than he gets credit for.
The idea that Bush would have won without Perot's involvement was largely created after the election by the Bush team to explain how an incumbent got beaten so badly.

It would have been closer, for sure, but Clinton won (electorally at least) in a landslide. Even if you take out all of the states Bush probably would have won without Perot in it and all of the states Bush could have won (call them the leans R states), he still loses.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The idea that Bush would have won without Perot's involvement was largely created after the election by the Bush team to explain how an incumbent got beaten so badly.

It would have been closer, for sure, but Clinton won (electorally at least) in a landslide. Even if you take out all of the states Bush probably would have won without Perot in it and all of the states Bush could have won (call them the leans R states), he still loses.
I concede he needed a lot to go his way to win but remove Perot from the equation entirely and I think he had a better shot than he wound up having. The taxes and the recession issues very well may have been insurmountable.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's official. Trump will be president again.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^ not shocked at all and typical Romney fashion instead of doing what is right he lost his spine. As for Collins that was total grandstanding to try and save her job. She knew the no vote had zero ramifications on the outcome.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's official. Trump will be president again.
Not sure about that. Mitch McConnell has gotten what he wanted out of the court jester, so they can get away with cutting him loose now. Trump is generally unpopular so Mitch, Lindsey, Mitt and Cruzer can all now pretend they always were against him. He basically said as much today (paraphrasing) about how the next election will undo a lot of the shit the Republican Congress has done (or not done) so he was giddy about this because they can't undo it. We can't undo it. It's a giant "fuck you" to the American People.

Also a lot of people hate Trump, but they wanted him because of how he would rubber stamp and make the court their wet Jeebus Lover dream. Now that it's done, they don't need to vote.

Whatever happens - make DC and Puerto Rico states and add four seats to the court (then write it into the constitution to keep it there). Gloves off. I would love if the end result of this power grab is trading a 5/4 majority for a 7/6 minority. Either that or go in and kill the lifetime appointment.

5 of them have been nominated by Presidents who lost the popular vote and the last two were placed by senators who represent 14 million fewer people than the ones who voted against it. That needs to be fixed.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still, all it's going to take is a legal challenge over the PA vote that will get upheld by the current SCOTUS makeup, and the 270 threshold will go the other way.

Perfectly coordinated plan to usurp the election.

Last edited:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still, all it's going to take is a legal challenge over the PA vote that will get upheld by the current SCOTUS makeup, and the 270 threshold will go the other way.

*IF* Trump manages to also win Michigan, Wisconsin, Arizona, Minnesota, Nevada AND Florida. He loses two of those and PA doesn't really matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.