• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Foles Opting Out

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be insanely stupid for the Eagles to franchise tag Foles. Foles would sign the contract immediately. That would fully guarantee the contract. He'd hold a press conference saying he wanted to play for the Eagles for the rest of his career. He'd say if the Eagles traded him he'd refuse to show up for the new team during camp. That would nuke any 1 year trade talks. Any team trading would have to agree a long-term deal with him for a lot of guaranteed money AND pay the Eagles trade compensation. Not going to happen. Wentz will also want an extension which the Eagles couldn't afford so the Eagles would be forced into under-selling him. Then they'd have the problem of what to do about Foles in the future. They don't want a repeat of the Redskins - Cousins debacle. It would be a mess.

The Eagles already hold the winning hand. Foles has out-performed his contract, they've squeezed an extra $2M out of him, and they're likely to get a compensatory pick in 2020. They'd be insane to screw it up when there's so little potential upside to tagging Foles.

I agree with some of this but why would you say a “trade and extension” is not going to happen? Teams need QBs.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, Foles spends $20 Million to get out of Philly? What will @PhoenixEagles1 do?????

He didn’t pay $2,000,000 to get out of Philly. He paid 2,000,000 to get possibly 75 to 100 million. I’m sure he’d stay in Philly if they offer them that.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'd have looked better had they kept the million and not picked up the option.

There's no way Wentz and Foles are both on the team next season due to cap purposes.

Shit move by the Eagles no matter how you want to sugarcoat it.

That’s just ridiculous. They both agreed to this. They paid a back up 15 mill. They gave him a million dollar bonus he didn’t meet. If he thought it was bull crap he and his agent wouldn’t have agreed to it.
I’m sure Foles completely understands the business side. It’s no different then Dallas picking up their 5th year option on Zeke. Zeke could be a FA in 365 days but they used their right to keep him another year like Philly did. Is that a shit move by Dallas?

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn’t pay $2,000,000 to get out of Philly. He paid 2,000,000 to get possibly 75 to 100 million. I’m sure he’d stay in Philly if they offer them that.

It opens the door for a franchise tag and trade. It is a risky proposition for both parties to play that game though.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with some of this but why would you say a “trade and extension” is not going to happen? Teams need QBs.
If a trade and extension was going to happen it would have happened last year when Foles had less leverage. Franchise tags are too costly to trade for and extend - unless you're getting the best positional player in the NFL who's a bargain at the tag price. The Redskins couldn't trade Cousins. The Vikings couldn't tag and trade Keenum. The only recent comparable 'expensive' trade would be Smith to the Redskins, which looked bad at the time and looks worse now. This will be the offseason with the most veteran QB availability in NFL history. It's a buyer's market.

Any trade requires Foles' consent to a long-term deal, and with the Eagles having played hardball with him for $2M he's not going to play nice. I'd like the Eagles to tag him, but then I like to watch certain teams push the envelope and deal with the consequences, (Steelers - Bell), and i'd like to see the Cowboys retain the NFC East. The smart move for the Eagles is not to play this game and the Eagles management has been pretty smart the last few years. A trade is still an unlikely possibility, but the reward doesn't match the risk. Just my opinion.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah nice of Philly to give him that bonus, send out some PR how nice they were then essentially just be dicks and take 2 mill off him

Inquisitor95

Unexpected Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will probably be the most interesting thing in the offseason to see how this plays out.

:drama:

:pop2:

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah nice of Philly to give him that bonus, send out some PR how nice they were then essentially just be dicks and take 2 mill off him

That was what Foles agreed too. $2,000,000 is nothing to a guy who just made over 16 million in a year as a backup and about to get 75,000,000. That’s nothing and he did agree to it.
Also they really hooked Foles up not dealing him to Cleveland when they could have gotten a very high 2nd. They’ve been above and beyond good to Foles. They didn’t have to redo his deal for big money this offseason but they did out of loyalty. They didn’t have to give him an additional million for a bonus not met. They’ve been tremendously good to Foles and vice versa.

Last edited:

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a trade and extension was going to happen it would have happened last year when Foles had less leverage. Franchise tags are too costly to trade for and extend - unless you're getting the best positional player in the NFL who's a bargain at the tag price. The Redskins couldn't trade Cousins. The Vikings couldn't tag and trade Keenum. The only recent comparable 'expensive' trade would be Smith to the Redskins, which looked bad at the time and looks worse now. This will be the offseason with the most veteran QB availability in NFL history. It's a buyer's market.

Any trade requires Foles' consent to a long-term deal, and with the Eagles having played hardball with him for $2M he's not going to play nice. I'd like the Eagles to tag him, but then I like to watch certain teams push the envelope and deal with the consequences, (Steelers - Bell), and i'd like to see the Cowboys retain the NFC East. The smart move for the Eagles is not to play this game and the Eagles management has been pretty smart the last few years. A trade is still an unlikely possibility, but the reward doesn't match the risk. Just my opinion.

They will only tag him if the have someone willing to deal. If they don’t then they won’t tag him. No risk at all if done that way.
They evidently had a deal with Cleveland for a high 2nd but didn’t out of respect for Foles.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was what Foles agreed too. $2,000,000 is nothing to a guy who just made over 16 million in a year as a backup and about to get 75,000,000. That’s nothing and he did agree to it.
Also they really hooked Foles up not dealing him to Cleveland when they could have gotten a very high 2nd. They’ve been above and beyond good to Foles.
Pure dick move. Unless a deal is in place they r fn him. Your are so blind. Nothing new.

Yeah really hooked him up since Cleveland is the best up and coming team out there

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pure dick move. Unless a deal is in place they r fn him

So was giving him a million for a bonus not met a dick move?
Was redoing his contract and giving him over 16 million as a back up a dick move when they didn’t have to?
Was Foles agreeing and signing this a dick move by Philly.
Was not trading him to somewhere he didn’t want to go a dick move last offseason and passing up a high 2nd?

You’re saying it’s a dick move cause they used a contract Foles agreed to keep him from being a UFA. Well then each and every team using the 5th year option on first round picks keeping them from being an UFA are dick moves? Same exact scenario as Foles’s.
Was it a dick move to every player that got franchised like Demarcus Lawrence and many many orhers?

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So was giving him a million for a bonus not met a dick move?
Was redoing his contract and giving him over 16 million as a back up a dick move when they didn’t have to?
Was Foles agreeing and signing this a dick move by Philly.
Was not trading him to somewhere he didn’t want to go a dick move last offseason and passing up a high 2nd?

You’re saying it’s a dick move cause they used a contract Foles agreed to keep him from being a UFA. Well then each and every team using the 5th year option on first round picks keeping them from being an UFA are dick moves? Same exact scenario as Foles’s.
They just took the bonus back and some . How can’t u see that? They should of redone his deal he delivered when others couldn’t. Again how can’t u see that? Not trading him to Cleveland one of the most promising teams? Wow such a nice move! Don’t come out publicly and say ur gonna do right by him then charge him 2 mill....gtfo

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If philly truly respected foles there was no need to do the move they just did. Zero.

And if Dallas really respected Lawrence they wouldn’t use their Franchise option right?
And of the hundreds of 1st round picks whose 5th year option was picked up preventing them from getting paid considered 100’s of dick moves by every single franchise in the league?

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if Dallas really respected Lawrence they wouldn’t use their Franchise option right?
And of the hundreds of 1st round picks whose 5th year option was picked up preventing them from getting paid considered 100’s of dick moves by every single franchise in the league?
Did foles get franchised? Did I miss something? Or r u speculating again.....

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is either trolling or dumb with his remarks on the mutual option. I think it might actually be dumb.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They just took the bonus back and some . How can’t u see that? They should of redone his deal he delivered when others couldn’t. Again how can’t u see that? Not trading him to Cleveland one of the most promising teams? Wow such a nice move! Don’t come out publicly and say ur gonna do right by him then charge him 2 mill....gtfo

The gave up a high 2nd out of respect.
They did redo his deal and gave him insane money for a backup.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The gave up a high 2nd out of respect.
They did redo his deal and gave him insane money for a backup.
Respect? Of what? Respected not giving him a starting job? Going to a good team? They let him bc he wins and pussy boy was hurt

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did foles get franchised? Did I miss something? Or r u speculating again.....

I’m not talking about Foles. I’m talking about the same exact thing. Exercising the teams right on the contract they signed. Foles and Franchised guys and 5th year options are all the same exact thing. Teams blocking players from UFA