• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Flyers acquire Versteeg

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pains me to say as a Penguin fan but that was a great deal for the Flyers. He is young under contract next year then a RFA. Good luck the rest of the way as we watch the WBS Baby Penguins play in the NHL.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't looked into it much, but it seems to me like Versteeg is a guy who can play in all situations, has a lot of speed and can contribute offensively. He may even add to our shorthanded goal scoring prowess. He's a young, talented winger and he shoots right handed, which is exactly what we needed in Philly. I just hope that the Flyers go for it and load up three scoring lines to make it next to impossible for other teams to shut them all down.

You'd expect Versteeg to have a career year next season if he gets the minutes as he's still never topped 22 goals. I look for more goals from him throughout a full season with the Flyers as he'll get more opportunities to hit the back of the net with his new linemates.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno. Versteeg is fine and all, but damn, I'm tired of not having first round picks. It'll be worth it if we win, but dear god, we had better win.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
first round picks are over rated. unless you are in the top 3 (and realistically i don't think thats a sure thing anymore) it all comes down to how smart the organization is to find gems in a very wide ranging draft class. i trust the flyers make the right decisions. trading the last pick in the first round for an established winger who has had success is a win for me.

sportfan09

WHAT THE FUCK
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
flyers had the 29th pick over all in this years draft....a weak draft i don't expect an all star coming from that draft..so great move

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet he gets on the scoring sheet tonight.

Takers?

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
ummmmmmmm i think i'd be more inclined to bet on o/u 1.5 points, how about that tox?

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love this move. Homer has made some great moves recently. Initially, I didn't want to give up a first but I am ok with it now. Toronto really wanted JVR so I'm really glad that Homer didn't agree to that. The Flyers pick is going to be late in the round (of a shallow draft). Adding more depth without losing any current players. What's not to love! The Flyers have to win the Cup this year!

soulxflare

Arrive. Raise Hell. Leave.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno. Versteeg is fine and all, but damn, I'm tired of not having first round picks. It'll be worth it if we win, but dear god, we had better win.

We are stocked with young talent, which makes not having the first rounders hurt less. Plus, this deal is basically like we drafted Versteeg. We know he's a solid player, so it's not a chapshoot pick like some of our other first rounders have been...

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JvR-Giroux-Carter and lately Carter-Giroux-Zherdev have been such great lines, I don't see how you can separate Giroux and Carter. Everyone assumes Nodl is the one getting demoted to the 4th line, but I haven't heard anything from the front office or a beat writer suggesting Versteeg is a replacement for Nodl. I think Zherdev is going to be seeing a lot more of the press box and 4th line duty.

Giant elephant in the room: Versteeg is signed through next year as well, so what happens to Leino?

Leino's agent is playing hardball with the team. I fully expect him to be re-signed though. I think he really wants to be here.

soulxflare

Arrive. Raise Hell. Leave.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leino's agent is playing hardball with the team. I fully expect him to be re-signed though. I think he really wants to be here.

Agreed. He's a key cog of this team now, and I think Homer realizes that.

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are stocked with young talent, which makes not having the first rounders hurt less. Plus, this deal is basically like we drafted Versteeg. We know he's a solid player, so it's not a chapshoot pick like some of our other first rounders have been...

Yeah....that's my feeling too.

Unless I was completely rebuilding from scratch....I'd always trade my 1st for someone that's already young and proven.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
ok i'll go over because i'm a true believer in the flyers!!! ha

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
we can wager rep, i'm all in with my whopping 50 rep points

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we can wager rep, i'm all in with my whopping 50 rep points

Oh..........do you have rep?? You see.....I've never seen yours, so I wouldn't know!! :mad: :rolleyes:

jk ;)

Okay......you're on D! :D